British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Nicholas, Keyingham

Description: Church of St Nicholas

Grade: I
Date Listed: 16 December 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 166561

OS Grid Reference: TA2451825500
OS Grid Coordinates: 524518, 425500
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7111, -0.1149

Location: Church Lane, Keyingham, East Riding of Yorkshire HU12 9SY

Locality: Keyingham
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Country: England
Postcode: HU12 9SY

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

TA 22 NW
(east side)
2/20 Church of St Nicholas

Parish church. C12-C13 nave; late C13 nave arcades, chancel and tower (the
latter partly rebuilt in late C14 - early C15); C14 chapel, C15 porch and
clerestory. Chancel restored in 1885 by Ecclesiastical Commissioners;
restorations of 1888-93 by F S Brodrick included re-roofing, re-seating.
North aisle restored 1914. Spire removed and parapet rebuilt in 1969.
Random cobbles to nave, south aisle, west wall of north aisle and sides of
porch; limestone ashlar to tower, north aisle, south chapel and porch front;
pebbledashed chancel; red brick clerestory with ashlar parapet. Limestone
ashlar dressings throughout. Lead roofs. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave
with south porch and north door, 3-bay chancel with 2-bay chapel of
St Michael adjoining to south. 4-stage tower: plinth, angle buttresses with
offsets to first 3 stages, moulded string courses between stages. First
stage: small blocked pointed hollow-chamfered north door. Second stage:
pointed west window with restored Y-tracery, original hoodmould and head
stops. Plain third stage with line of former nave gable to east. Pointed
belfry openings with remains of former Y-tracery, hoodmoulds and headstops,
C20 wooden louvres. Coped parapet. Nave: plinth, single buttresses to west
end with former roofline visible above. North aisle: moulded plinth,
buttresses with offsets to angles and between bays; pointed moulded door,
pointed 3-light north and east windows with Perpendicular tracery, partly
restored to north. South aisle: chamfered plinth, single west buttress,
square-headed 3-light cinquefoiled windows with moulded reveals and restored
mullions; moulded string course, coped parapet. Clerestory: partly-restored
square-headed 2-light cinquefoiled windows, moulded string course, coped
ashlar parapet (repaired with brick to north-east). Chancel: chamfered
plinth to south, angle buttresses, quoins; 2 pointed Y-traceried windows
with restored mullions, and single small square-headed 2-light trefoiled
window to north; 2 similar square-headed 2-light windows and a square-headed
3-light cinquefoiled window with restored mullions to south; pointed 5-light
east window with double-chamfered reveal, restored moulded intersecting
tracery, original hoodmould and headstops; re-set carved heads above; C19
string course, coped parapet. South chapel: moulded plinth, buttresses with
gabled coping, one to south incorporating carved gargoyle; restored moulded
sill string course, square-headed 2-light rounded-trefoiled south windows
with double-chamfered reveals and partly-restored moulded mullions, similar
3-light east window with plain mullions; graveslab of 1825 attached to east
wall over blocked entrance. Porch: moulded plinth, pointed moulded outer
arch with square ashlar tablet above bearing shield in quatrefoil, moulded
string course, coped parapet; pointed hollow-chamfered inner arch.
Interior. Small segmental-headed tower door with pointed Y-traceried window
above in deeply-splayed reveal. Pointed double-chamfered nave arcades on
quatrefoiled piers with plain moulded capitals and square bases, the later
north piers more slender. Tall pointed double-chamfered chancel arch with
inner order dying into chamfered jambs, the north side cutting a small
round-arched recess, perhaps a C12 entrance to rood-loft. Chancel: 2-bay
south arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches with continuous chamfers to
central pier, chamfers dying into responds; blocked segmental-headed door
and section of former pointed 2-light window to north wall; trefoiled
piscina with mutilated bowl. South aisle has pointed double-chamfered arch
to chapel. Chapel: image bracket and blocked door to east, C19 piscina.
C19 roofs throughout: 4-bay nave roof has cranked tie-beams with king and
queen posts, pierced trefoiled panels and carved pendants, and corbelled
wall posts with arch braces and carved spandrels. Monuments: black marble
floor slab in chancel to John Angell of 1647 with Latin inscription and
incised arms in cartouche; marble bracket with carved apron in chancel for
marble wall tablet re-set in north aisle to the same John Angell, of 1647,
with Latin inscription in shouldered and eared architrave, foliate ornament,
and open segmental pediment carrying carved and painted achievement in
cartouche; marble wall tablets in south aisle to Edward Ombler of 1802 with
fluted pilasters and draped urn, and to Edward Ombler of 1825 with carved
pediment and arms. Good C13 font with large cylindrical bowl bearing
arcading of pointed Y-traceried trefoiled arches. South aisle contains re-
set carved wooden roof corbels, probably C15, with faces, foliage, fleur-de-
lys etc. C16-C17 wrought-iron hour-glass stand beside pulpit with hour
glass in wooden holder. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire,
East Riding, 1972, p 291. Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol
5, 1984, pp 63-4.

Listing NGR: TA2451625499

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.