If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 16 December 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 166656
OS Grid Reference: TA1722825738
OS Grid Coordinates: 517228, 425738
Latitude/Longitude: 53.7149, -0.2252
PAULL THORNGUMBALD ROAD
TA 12 NE
3/10 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Mid C14-C15, perhaps incorporating material from former
church. Burnt in seige of Hull 1643. Repairs of 1663, c1700. Restorations
of 1879 included reseating, reroofing; further restorations of c1890.
Random beach cobbles, limestone rubble, squared masonry and bricks to nave
and transepts; roughly-coursed limestone rubble to tower; limestone ashlar
to chancel; vestry rendered. Limestone ashlar dressings throughout. Slate
roofs. Cruciform plan: 4-bay aisled nave with north and south doors,
slightly projecting transepts, 3-bay chancel with vestry adjoining north
side, tower above crossing. Nave: diagonal buttresses, buttresses between
bays to north, single buttress to south, all with offsets. Pointed north
door of single order, more ornate pointed south door of 2 orders, both with
wave mouldings and hoodmoulds. Partly-restored segmental-headed 2-light
traceried windows to north and south. West side has buttresses flanking
large partly-restored 5-light traceried window with brattished transom,
hoodmould. Transepts: north and south sides have buttresses flanking
pointed 3-light traceried windows with cinquefoiled lights and hoodmoulds;
projecting spout for piscina to south. Chancel: moulded plinth, angle
buttresses and buttresses between bays with offsets; pointed south door with
hollow chamfer and wave mouldings, pointed 3-light windows to north and
south with trefoiled lights and tracery similar to transepts but less
ornate; large partly-restored pointed 5-light east window with hoodmould,
head stops, and tracery similar to west window, but with narrower plain
transom. Lean-to vestry has C19 segmental-headed 2-light traceried window.
All windows with Perpendicular tracery. Coped parapets and gables with
cross finials throughout. 3-stage tower: quoins, moulded string courses
between stepped-in stages. First stage has C19 square-headed door to west
cutting string course. Second stage has narrow slit windows to north, south
and east. Third stage has pointed 2-light belfry openings with foiled Y-
tracery. Moulded string course, coped embattled parapet. Interior. Tall
nave arcades of pointed arches with wave mouldings, plain and hollow
chamfers, on octagonal piers and responds with plain moulded capitals and
bases on tall pedestals. Piers and arches bear traces of red paint; second
pier from north-west bears traces of painted inscriptions, one dated 1657.
Pointed double-chamfered arches from nave aisles to transepts. Crossing
piers have partly-restored octagonal responds with plain moulded capitals
and bases, carrying tall pointed arches to nave, chancel and transepts with
plain and hollow chamfers, the outer chamfers beneath the tower intersecting
above the springing. Pointed trefoiled piscina to south transept with
restored bowl, hoodmould and head stops. Pointed chamfered piscina to north
transept with restored bowl. Chancel has pointed wave-moulded north door,
mutilated stone lectern on north wall. C19 roofs, tiled floors. Monuments.
C15 ashlar floorslab at west end of north aisle with Gothic marginal
inscription; black marble floorslab at west end of central nave aisle to
Dorothy Robinson of Newton Garth, of 1676, with roundel containing full
achievement in relief; marble and ashlar chest tomb in south aisle to
Barbara Locke of 1792, in railed enclosure with moulded ashlar plinth,
wrought-iron column balusters, cone finials and urn finials to principals
above single top rail. Painted pedimented wooden board above, recording
1825 bequest of Thomas Locke. Marble wall tablets in chancel: to Hugh
Blaydes, and others, of 1759, with arms and palm fronds in relief; to Ann
Carvile of 1797 with miniature coloured hatchment, by E Giffin of London; to
James Stovin of 1797 with open book and painted arms above, also by Giffin.
Plain ashlar tablet in north transept to John Ombler of 1805. Oval tablet
in north aisle to Cornelius Stovin of 1799; reset ashlar tablets below with
roughly-carved finial and crowned angel with shield, probably C15.
Fragments of medieval glass in east window, chiefly canopy above figure to
left. C19 octagonal font. Church was built on a new site after the
destruction of the former church by the Humber in 1355. N Pevsner, The
Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1978, pp 324-5; Victoria
County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, pp 125-6.
Listing NGR: TA1722425740
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.