Description: Church of Saint Ethelburgh
Date Listed: 26 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 166979
OS Grid Reference: SE8133253879
OS Grid Coordinates: 481332, 453879
Latitude/Longitude: 53.9746, -0.7615
SE 85 SW MILLINGTON GREAT GIVENDALE
5/11 Church of Saint
26.1.67 (Formerly listed as Church of St.
Ethelburga under General)
Church. Rebuilt 1849, using old materials, by W H Dykes. Ashlar, slate
roof. Nave with twin bellcote, chancel. Nave has pointed 2-light window
with C19 tracery in Curvilinear style. Pointed double-chamfered south door.
Buttresses with offsets mark position of chancel arch. Chancel: C13 low-
side window with trefoil head, beneath trefoil-headed lancet, to west,
pointed window with Y-tracery under hood-mould to east. Pointed east window
of 3 lights with intersecting tracery under hood-mould. Interior: mid C13
stoup to west of south door. lid C12 chancel arch of 3 orders with attached
shafts and scalloped capitals carved with interlaced foliage and human faces
supporting round arch of 2 outer square orders with chevrons and inner order
with deep roll-mouldings. Trefoil headed sedilium and trefoil-headed
piscina to south wall of chancel. Brass wall-memorial with inscription, in
Latin, to George Jackson, died 1641, on north wall of chancel; on south
wall, tablet to Sir Jonathan Atkins (died 1702 aged 99), his son John Atkins
(died 1732, aged 79) and his sister Jane Atkins (died 1761, aged 100).
Listing NGR: SE8133253879
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.