Description: The Minster Church of St John
Date Listed: 1 March 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 167285
OS Grid Reference: TA0375739261
OS Grid Coordinates: 503757, 439261
Latitude/Longitude: 53.8392, -0.4246
There is also a scheduled monument, Hall Garth Moated Site South of Beverley Minster, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
In the entry for:
BEVERLEY MINSTER YARD
10/179 The Minster Church
of St John
"National Monument Register Photograph" shall be added as last sentence of the
TA 0339 BEVERLEY MINSTER YARD
10/179 The Minster Church of
1.3.50 St John
Cathedral church. Rebuilding of eastern arm commenced c1225. High altar
dedicated 1260. Nave c1308-50. North porch and west front c1390-1420. East
window c1410-20. North east chapel c1490. Tadcaster magnesian limestone
incorporating some oolitic limestone from earlier structure and some chalk.
Purbeck shafting to interior. Brick nave vault webbing, plastered. Lead roof.
Cruciform plan of 7-bay aisled chancel with square east end and single-bay
eastern transepts, aisled to east. 3-bay aisled main transepts. Central
tower. ll-bay aisled nave with north porch and twin-towered west front. C13
section has prominent shafted buttresses with flyers. Lancet windows set in
shafted arcades with moulded capitals. Bands of blind arcading, sunk
quatrefoils and wheel windows to transept ends. Nave: off-set buttresses
with gabled niches, crocketed pinnacles and flyers. Curvilinear traceried
windows. North porch is panelled with angle buttresses and crocketed
pinnacles. Gabled entrance flanked by niches for figures of saints. Embattled
parapet with further niches. West front: twin towers with off-set angle
buttresses and embattled parapets with crocketed pinnacles flanking west front.
The whole adorned with panelling and canopied niches for statues which were
provided after 1897. Crocketed ogee gable to west door surmounted by canopied
niche. 9-light sub-arcuated west window. Interior: East end: 3 storey
elevation. Arcade of heavily moulded arches on clustered piers with keeled
or filleted intermediate shafts. Triforium of two superimposed blind arcades.
Clerestory lancets set in stepped, shafted arcade. Dogtooth moulding and
Purbeck shafting. Moulded capitals to main elevation, stiff leaf to wall
arcades. Quadripartite vaults on shafts descending to corbels in spandrels
of arcade. Trefoil-headed wall arcading to aisles, incorporating steps to
former chapter house on north side. C14 work continued in similar style with
slight changes in details and traceried windows. Fittings: Screen of c1334
designed to carry the shrine of St John and adjoining very fine Percy Tomb.
Wood sedilia in similar style of c1345. Anglo Saxon stone seat known as
'Frith Stool'. Choir stalls of c1520 with 68 carved misericords. Screens
of c1400. Late C12 Frosterley marble font with cover of 1713. Tread wheel
crane above central crossing. Many fine monuments including tomb chest of
Henry Percy of 1489 and others of C17-Cl9.
For futher description see: Pevsner, N. Yorkshire, East Riding 169-179.
RCHM Beverley 7-15, Bilson, J 'Beverley Minster' Architectural Review 3
(1894-1898) 197, Bilson, J 'Beverley Minster': some stray notes' Yorkshire
Archaeological Journal 25 1917, 221-235, Hoey, L; 'Beverley Minster in Its
13th Century Context' Journal of Society of Architectural Historians XLIII
1984, 209-224. Transactions of the British Archaeological Association
Beverley Minster 1986.
Listing NGR: TA0376139262
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.