Description: The Gables
Date Listed: 14 April 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 167624
OS Grid Reference: SE7847147367
OS Grid Coordinates: 478471, 447367
Latitude/Longitude: 53.9165, -0.8067
ALLERTHORPE MAIN STREET
SE 74 NE (south side)
5/3 The Gables
House. Mid C17, cased in brick in mid C18, eaves of hall range raised and
gables rebuilt in late C19. Red brick with slate roofs. Originally lobby
entry. Hall range with cross-wings in H-plan. Hall range has scattered
fenestration of 16-pane sashes flanked by 4-pane sashes to ground floor, two
6-pane windows at different levels to first floor. Dentilled brick eaves
cornice. Left (domestic) wing has 16-pane sash to ground floor, 4-pane sash
to first floor, each under segmental gauged brick arch. Right (service
wing): 4-pane sash to both floors, each under segmental gauged brick arch.
Rear elevation: completely rebuilt in 1880; panelled door in C19 door-case
and C20 windows with glazing bars and top-opening lights throughout. Axial
stacks to right end of hall range and to centre of left wing: each with 4
diagonally-set attached flues on massive square section stacks. Interior:
hall subdivided in c1880 to form new stairhall and principal living room.
Inglenook fireplace with chamfered bressumer to latter. A mid C17 panelled
door survives to a cupboard in the domestic wing. Roofs apparently entirely
rebuilt in C20.
Listing NGR: SE7847147367
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.