If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Martin
Date Listed: 30 June 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 167767
OS Grid Reference: TA1020863256
OS Grid Coordinates: 510208, 463256
Latitude/Longitude: 54.0535, -0.3180
BURTON AGNES CHURCH LANE
( north end)
11/11 Church of St Martin
Church. Cll origins with mid-C12 north arcade, C13 south arcade, north
chantry of 1313, C15 clerestory and tower, C18 north side of chancel,
otherwise rebuilding of 1840. Magnesian limestone ashlar with brick chancel
and concealed roof. 3-stage west tower, 3-bay aisled nave with clerestory,
single-bay chancel. Tower: plinth, diagonal buttresses with offsets. To
west side a pointed plank door in triple-chamfered cavetto- and ovolo-
moulded surround. Above, a 3-light Perpendicular window with partly re-cut
mullions under hoodmould with angel stops, on cavetto-moulded continuous
sill band. To second stage a twin-light flat-headed opening under
hoodmould, between canopied niches for statues. To third stage are 3-
stepped cinquefoil-light bell openings in 4-centred arched surrounds. Eaves
band with gargoyles at diagonals, battlements. Entrance to south porch a
C19 pointed arch with 3 columnar responds supporting double-chamfered arch
under hoodmould. Within, a plank door in chamfered surround under
hoodmould. Within again an C18 fielded-panel door. South aisle has
chamfered plinth and buttresses with offsets. Re-cut, 2-cinquefoil-light
windows within straight headed surrounds. To west end of aisle a C19
quatrefoil window and to east end a 3-light pointed window with intersecting
tracery under hoodmould. North aisle has buttresses with offsets. Entrance
to second bay a pointed plank door within chamfered surround. To first bay
a late C20 boiler house. Otherwise a Cl9 2-light window with reticulated-
type tracery. Third bay has a large, blocked pointed-arched opening.
West end of north aisle has 2-light reticulated window with quatrefoil to
head under hoodmould. East end of north aisle has 3-light window with
intersecting tracery to head in double-chamfered surround, under hoodmould.
Clerestory has 3-trefoiled-light, straight-headed windows. Gargoyles.
Battlements. Chancel. Buttresses with offsets. South side has central
priests' door within pointed surround under hoodmould. Ogeed lancet windows
throughout under hoodmoulds. 3-light east window has reticulated-type
tracery to head under hoodmould. Interior. Triple-chamfered tower arch on
rounded responds with moulded bases and capitals decorated with beasts and
foliage. Nave. 3-bay C19 south arcade on alternate cylindrical and
octagonal piers with double-chamfered pointed arches. North arcade: 2
westernmost bays on cylindrical piers with re-cut scallop capitals and
moulded bases, pointed chamfered arches. The easternmost bay is C18 and has
semicircular arch with an affixed framed wooden arch with fluted pilasters,
frieze and cornice containing Boynton family pew. Re-cut piers with scallop
capitals support double-chamfered pointed chancel arch, the inner order is
chamfered, the outer is roll-moulded, with hoodmould with incised chevron
moulding. Chancel has ogeed piscina. C19 hammer-beam roof with angel
stops. Drum-shaped Norman font with tall thin blank arcading, re-tooled.
Woodwork: pulpit of c1700. Early C18 box pews. Remains of Perpendicular
traceried screen to rear of south aisle. Monuments. To south aisle a
segmentally-arched niche for a statue. Neo-classical wall monument to
Thomas Dade, d 1759. North aisle. Pointed-arched, triple-chamfered tomb
recess with tomb chest decorated with quatrefoils to Roger de Somerville,
d 1337, and his wife Maud, d 1317. Late C15 alabaster tomb chest decorated
with figures of saints with reclining figures of Sir Walter Griffith, d 1481
and his wife Jane Nevill. Elaborate marble wall monument to Sir Henry
Griffith, d 1645, and his 2 wives, with 3 effigies replaced by 3 black
coffins, columns and curtains to sides and base decorated with death's
heads, cartouche above. Wall monument to Sir Henry Griffith, d 1620, and
wife Elizabeth. 2 painted hatchments. Chancel has Baroque wall monument to
Sir Griffith Boynton, d 1761. Neo-classical wall monument to Sir Griffith
Boynton, d 1778. To Anne Cayley, d 1769, by the Fishers of York. Stained
glass. In the north aisle east window kneeling C18 figures of Sir Roger de
Somerville and wife Maude. East window and other chancel glass by Wailes.
In south aisle glass by Kempe. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, York and The East
Riding, 1978, pp 206-7.
Listing NGR: TA1020463257
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.