British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Burton Agnes Hall, Burton Agnes

Description: Burton Agnes Hall

Grade: I
Date Listed: 11 January 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 167771

OS Grid Reference: TA1029063273
OS Grid Coordinates: 510290, 463273
Latitude/Longitude: 54.0536, -0.3167

Location: Shady Lane, Burton Agnes, East Riding of Yorkshire YO25 4NA

Locality: Burton Agnes
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Country: England
Postcode: YO25 4NA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

TA 1063-1163
(north side, off)
11/15 Burton Agnes Hall

Country house. c1601-10, dated "HF 1601" above door, "1602" on porch, "ANO
1602" and "ANO 1603" on rainwater heads, probably by Robert Smythson for Sir
Henry Griffith, with later additions and alterations including those of
c1730 for Sir Griffith Boynton, 5th Bart, and mid-late C20 restorations for
Marcus Wickham-Boynton by Francis Johnson. Pinkish-orange brick in English
bond with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof. Approximately square on
plan with inner courtyard. South front: 3 storeys with attics to gables, 8
bays: bays 3 and 6 project slightly; bays 1 and 8 project further and are
gabled and have 3-storey bow windows; bays 4 and 5 share a gable. Moulded
ashlar plinth. Quoins. Flight of 5 steps across 2 central bays, with goats
carrying shields on plinths to ends. Entrance to inner return of third bay
a C17 studded panelled door with massive bronze knocker within full-height
ashlar architrave. Architrave of panels of strapwork decoration between
fluted columns with Ionic capitals on pedestals supporting frieze and
moulded cornice at first-floor level. To first floor are fluted columns
with Corinthian capitals on pedestals, with heraldic band between and plaque
with family motto, frieze with guilloche moulding, cornice. Second floor
has order of composite capitals on pedestals with Elizabethan coat of arms
between, guilloche frieze, moulded cornice surmounted by strapwork cresting.
To facing return of sixth bay a balancing ashlar decoration to full height
in more Classical style with niches containing statues to each floor, and
surmounted by similar cresting. Bays 1 and 8 have rounded 10-light ovolo-
moulded mullion-and-transom bay windows to each storey surmounted by
balconies with fluted balustrades. Gables have casement windows within
ashlar architraves. Otherwise ground floor has full-height 24-pane sashes
in moulded architraves with hoodmoulds which break continuous moulded first-
floor string course, except to second bay which has 4-light ovolo-moulded
mullion window with 6-pane casements. First floor: second and seventh bay
have 24-pane sashes otherwise central bays have 8-pane fixed lights, all
within tooled ashlar architraves. Continuous moulded first-floor string
course. Second floor has unequally-hung 20-pane sashes in moulded
architraves to 6 centre bays. Continuous moulded second-floor string
course. To centre a gable containing 12-pane fixed-light casement window in
tooled ashlar architrave. Battlements to second and seventh bays. Ashlar
copings and finials. Strapwork cresting to bays 3 and 6. Groups of 3 star-
shaped stacks to inner returns of bays 1 and 8, similar side and rear
stacks. Rear (north facade): 2 storeys with attics, 5 bays of which bays 1,
3 and 5 project and all but centre bay have gables. Quoins. Ground floor
has 6-, 5-, 3-, 5- and 6-light mullion-and-transom windows within double-
chamfered surrounds. First-floor band. Mainly 12-pane sashes to first
floor with one casement window, all within ovolo-moulded, double-chamfered
architraves. Attics have 3-light, ovolo-moulded, double-chamfered mullion
windows under hoodmoulds with quoined jambs. Battlements. Ashlar copings.
West facade: irregular facade of 2 storeys with attics to gables and 7 bays,
of which third and fifth project slightly. Northern bay has a 6-sided
canted bay and southern bay has 5-sided, 3-storey bay window. Quoins.
Entrance a 6-fielded-panel door within tooled surround. Ground floor has
4-, 3-, 5-, 4- and 2-light mullion-and-transom windows. 2-light mullion
window to northern canted bay and 3-light mullion window above door. 10-
light double-chamfered ovolo-moulded mullion and transom windows to each
floor of southern bay. Moulded first-floor string course. First floor:
sixth bay has 8-light mullion-and-transom window within ovolo-moulded,
double-chamfered surround. Otherwise long 12- and 18-pane sashes in double-
chamfered architraves. Second-floor string course. 3-light mullion window
to first bay. To sixth bay a Venetian window, the centre a 35-pane
unequally-hung sash with radial glazing to head and long 12-pane sashes to
sides. Architrave has Ionic pilasters. Ashlar copings. Star stacks. East
facade: 2- and 3-storeys with attics, 10 bays, the southernmost a 5-sided,
3-storey bay, the northernmost a 2-storey canted bay. Garden entrance to
sixth bay: steps to glazed door with overlight in bolection-moulded, eared
architrave. South bay, canted,with 10-light, double-chamfered, ovolo-moulded
mullion-and-transom windows to each floor. North bay has 8-light double-
chamfered ovolo-moulded mullion-and-transom windows to both floors.
Otherwise ground and first floors have 18-pane sashes within moulded
architraves. Continuous hoodmoulds. To third floor a Venetian window
complementing that to west facade. Attics have 2- and 3-light mullion
windows in ovolo-moulded, double-chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds.
Battlements. Ashlar copings, star-shaped stacks. Interior retains many C17
and C18 features including Great Hall with magnificent Elizabethan plaster
screen with biblical, allegorical and mythological figures, dated 1603,
elaborately carved oak panelling, also a massive alabaster chimney-piece
carved with the Wise and Foolish Virgins and incorporating the arms of Sir
Thomas Boynton and his 3 wives, this latter brought from the now demolished
Barmston Hall. Ceiling plasterwork c1720-30. Drawing room has Elizabethan
oak panelling carved with decorative blind arches between pilasters,
strapwork frieze, overmantel has allegorical Dance of Death; early C18
ceiling. Chinese Room has wall covered in laquer panels c1700 and brought
in c1732; Rococo pine chimney-piece installed late C20. Dining room has
early C17 chimney-piece, overmantel with Virtues and Vices from Long Gallery
and early C18 cornice. Inner hall has carved Elizabethan panelling;
continuous newel staircase with newel posts linked by a series of
elaborately carved arches, bobbin balusters. First floor has early-mid C18
panelled drawing room. King's State Bedroom has carved panelling and ribbed
stucco ceiling c1603 and Queen's State Bedroom has panelling following a
geometrical pattern taken from Serlio, chimney-piece and overmantel with
allegorical figures of Patience, Truth, Constance and Victory dated 12 July
1610, stucco ceiling decorated with intertwining leaf and flower patterns.
Justice's Room has painted linenfold panelling c1530 with portrait
medallions from Kilnwick Hall, Driffield (demolished 1951) and previously at
Leconfield Castle, Beverley. To second floor a long gallery restored by
Francis Johnson, 1974. West wing (not fully inspected) has further early
C17 panelled rooms, some with overmantels carved with allegorical figures,
and with decorative plaster ceilings. Some rooms have linenfold panelling,
others have early C18 bolection-moulded panelling. Pevsner N, Yorkshire,
York and the East Riding, 1978, pp 207-210. Girouard M, Robert Smythson and
The Elizabethan Country House, 1985, pp 169, 185-8. Arthur Oswald, Burton
Agnes Hall, Yorkshire, I, II, III", Country Life, 6 June 1953, pp 1804-7; 11
June 1953, pp 1886-9; 18 June 1953, pp 1972-5.

Listing NGR: TA1027763265

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.