If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Margaret
Date Listed: 20 October 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 169848
OS Grid Reference: TQ7038338112
OS Grid Coordinates: 570383, 138112
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1170, 0.4330
Explore more of the area around Horsmonden, Kent at Explore Britain.
HORSMONDEN BRICK KILN LANE
TQ 73 NW
(south east side)
4/12 Church of St.Margaret
Parish church. Early C14, altered and extended C15, repaired c.1700 and
restored 1864-1867 by T.H.Wyatt. Sandstone with slate roofs, timber north
porch on sandstone base with shingled roof. Chancel with south chapel, nave
with aisles, north porch and western tower. Four stage tower on plinth with triple offset diagonal buttresses, weathered string courses and battlements
and south eastern stair turret. Two light belfry openings, with single
lights below and large 3 light Perpendicular west window in deep reveal
with hood mould. Doorway with attached shafts and moulded arch in moulded
and hollow chamfered surround with label hood, the spandrels with
quatrefoils and arms of Poynings and Fitzpaine (celebrating a marriage of
1380). South aisle with weathered plinth and double moulded offset
buttresses and restored hollow chanfered corbel table to parapet. Two
identical vices, that to east marking off the south chapel. Triangular
headed Perpendicular fenestration. Chapel without the parapet and with
diagonal buttress with reset carving of 2 heads and depressed arched Perp.
south window and 3 light east window with gable light and restored gable
cross over. C19 Chancel east window, large lancets to north and south and
north door with the arms of Rev. Stephen Bate, rector 1679-1724, who
rebuilt the north aisle and added the vestry c.1700, the scrolled kneelers carrying the nave gables are of this date; C15 clerestorey , 4 three light
Perp. windows to each side. Reset C14 ogee headed reticulated east
window to aisle, north wall with plinth, regular buttresses and
Perpendicular style fenestration. C14 ogee headed aisle west window. North
porch with moulded bargeboards enriched with fern decoration and projecting
on brackets, with wave moulded door surround with hood mould and sunk
spandrels with cross and acorn motifs, contemporary door but C19 restored
inner doorway to church.Interior: western door and window set in deep
chanfered reveal, tower arch with double hollow chamfered surround and
ribbed hollow chamfered arch on tall attached shafts with octagonal heads.
Have with 3 bay arcades, both with alternating round and octagonal piers,
but with hollow chanfered arches and attached shaft responds to north and
simple chamfered arches and corbelled responds to south (an earlier build).
Roof of 2 tall crown posts. Aisles with lean-to roofs, the south aisle and
south chapel of one build, the window reveals all with hollow chamfered
and roll moulded surrounds with chanfered arch on octagonal corbels between
aisle and chapel. Chancel arch C19 with doubled roll mouldings to arch on
angel corbels. Chancel with sans purlin trussed rafter roof on moulded wall plates and with deep splayed reveals to windows and north doors. Two bay
double chamfered arcade to south chapel on octagonal pier and responds.
Fittings: ogee headed cinque-cusped piscina in chancel and oddly shaped wall recess with some stylised flower ornament (the tomb recess of John Bobbe,
rector 1462-84 ). The 2 external vices in the south wall mark the unusual
feature of 2 rood screens, that to the east probably abandoned because of subsidence in passage through chancel arch pier. Chanfered piscinas and
aumbrey in south chapel and south aisle. Parclose screen to east end of
south aisle, originally in arch from chancel to south chapel, with simple
lower panels and 8 trecusped upper panels with vine leaf frieze with
inscription: Orate pro bono statu Alicie Campcon. Alice Sampson lived at
Elphicks in Horsmonden and signed her will in October 1508, Font said to
be a C17 copy of the original by the same hand as that at St.Lawrence,
Hawkhurst; hollow octagonal stem and bowl enriched with shields and roses,
Brass 'spider' chandelier in nave with 8 scrolled arms, the orb inscribed:
TO THIS PARISH OF HORSMONDEAN
THE GIFT OF STEPHEN BATE
RECTOR, AMMO 1703
Unexceptional C19 fittings otherwise. Monuments: C14 stone coffin lid in
south chapel floor. Brass to Henry de Grofhurst, after 1338, a 46" cleric
in full robes with lion at his feet, and holding a lettered scroll, witb
full canopy. Joan Austen, d.1604, 18½" brass of woman with wide brimmed hat. Small brow inscription to her husband John Austen, d.1620 reset on nave west wall. Some good basalt ledger slabs, especially under the chancel arch to
John Courthope, d.1718. Iron ledger slab to Martha Browne, d,1644 with brass inscription plate. John Read, the inventor of the stomach pump, d.1847, a
wall monument with a bust set an a pedestal inscribed: Integrity. C19 glass except rust and west windows by Rosemary Everett, 1946 and 1948. (See B.O.E.
Kent I, 1980, 333; see also St.Margart's Church Horsmonden, Anthony Cronk,
Listing NGR: TQ7038338112
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.