If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Laurence, Ramsgate

Description: Church of St Laurence

Grade: I
Date Listed: 4 February 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 171821

OS Grid Reference: TR3703165321
OS Grid Coordinates: 637031, 165321
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3375, 1.4017

Location: A253, Margate, Kent CT11 0QH

Locality: Ramsgate
Local Authority: Thanet District Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: CT11 0QH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Ramsgate, Kent at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

RAMSGATE HIGH STREET
TR 3765 SW
ST LAWRENCE
(north-west side)
7/192 Church of St
Laurence
GV I
Parish Church, Foundations 1062; late C12; C15; fenestration and restoration
C19 and early C20. Flint with plain tiled roof. Nave and aisles, central
tower with transepts chancel and side chapels, the whole in effect 3 aisles;
south, and south eastern porches. Geometric and Perpendicular style tracery
throughout, all of Cll date, the West and East windows 1858. Each plan unit
separately roofed. C15 south porch with rendered arch and iron lamp and
bracket, with original hollow chamfered rectangular doorway with water
stoup adjacent. This doorway, the blocked roll moulded western doorway cut
into by the West window are the only early exterior features (down pipes
dated 1866 and 1906), apart from the tower, 3 stages, the lower two, C12
with blind arcading on south and east sides, and 2 round headed lancets on
each face on all sides on 2nd stage. Battlemented top stage added C15.
Interior: 3 bay arcade to nave with round piers, scalloped capitals and
simple pointed arches; the mouldings and cutting finer on north arcade. Roof
of 2 crown posts, restored Cl9. Aisles with hipped trussed rafter roofs, the
south aisle with corbels on nave wall, for earlier roof structure. Simple
pointed arch on imposts to south transept, heavy hollow chamfered arch with
chamfered surround to north transept. Crossing tower with round piers with
recessed hook shafts and spurs, with round arches with roll and wave mouldings
on scalloped and voluted capitals. Simple double rebated arches to transepts,
with string course carried over whole composition. Four grinning demonic
heads are included in the capitals. Transepts with trussed rafter roofs on
corbels, that to north transept restored, and C19 double chamfered arches to
chancel chapels. Chancel originally with unaisled eastern bay (with jambs
of blocked lancet), with arches to chapels, of stone dressed flint, 2 bays
north and south with stop chamfers, hook shafts and trefoiled leaves on
capitals. Further C13 arch to south chancel. C15 wooden wagon ceiling with
moulded beams and Tudor flower bosses. Most of the planking has been
unfortunately removed. South chapel with string course to north wall and
original roof of 4 crown posts. Large double doors to south western porch.
North chapel, restored, with separate vestry with exposed jambs of C12 north
door to chancel. Fittings: rebated trecusped piscina in chancel, moulded
trecusped piscina with ogee shaped hood on head stops in south chanel,
aumbrey in north chapel. Remnants of C15 screen to vestry, of 3 panels. C19
reredos, reading desks, stalls, lecturn, pews and south chapel screens, C19
Gothic pulpit with open fretwork and statues incorporating reader and C18
hourglass stand. C20 font and rood cross. Glass circa 1866 and East window
of 1902. Brasses. Nicholas Manston, d.1444, brass of man in armour 34
inches long; Joan St. Nicholas, d.1493, 28 inch brass of lady, both reset on
wall of south chapel. Monuments; chancel; fine group of marble floor
Plaques, specially to Sprackling family; south chapel: Adam Spencer, d.1745,
veined white marble wall plaque, with segmentally shaped head and cornice
with urn finial and scrolled sides, with scrolled apron below: Captain
Martin Long, d.1751, large white wall monument with scrolled bolection
moulded plaque with 2 cherubs and deaths heads to apron, with segmental
pediment and arms cartouche. Margaret Read, d.1753, white Rococo marble
wall plaque; with Chinese style swagged pediment shaped top with scrolled
and enriched sides to plaque and swagged apron and lively enriched bracket:
Henrietta Elizabeth Froude, d.1879. Half-relief of a woman. She was the
wife of James Anthony Froude, the great C19 historian; north chapel: Robert
Brooke, d.1667, white and black marble wall plaque with cartouche apron with
enriched scrolled sides to pedimented top with blocks brought forward with
arms cartouche. Reverend Cuthbert Boucher, erected 1788. Oval wall plaque:
nave: several early C19 Neo-Classical wall plaques, the best to John, Earl
of Dunmore, d.1809, scalloped with draped sides. Gothick recess in western
wall to Thomas Noel Hay, d. 1861; north aisle, Catherine Talman, 1731, with
segmental pediment and cherub, and Alexander Bryner, 1822, signed H. Cull;
half relief sarcophagus and urn; north transept. William Rogerson, d.1782,
painted Arms and gadrooned urn on apron with cherub's head and obelisk
background; south aisle: Mary Gibson, d.1785, neat plaque, wreathed Arms
and festooned plaque on Rococco scrolled base; south transept: small
illegible C17 plaque with painted ribband sheaths and shields on sides,
enriched swagged base and crested Arms with coronet. Segmental pediment
plaque in south porch to Robert(illegible)early C18. Eleven hatchments
throughout church, Charity board in south porch, and large Royal Coat of
Arms in south aisle dated 1729. (See B.O.E. Kent II, 1983, 420-421).



Listing NGR: TR3703165322

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |