If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary and All Saints
Date Listed: 26 April 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 173594
OS Grid Reference: TQ7749958942
OS Grid Coordinates: 577499, 158942
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3019, 0.5449
Explore more of the area around Boxley, Kent at Explore Britain.
TQ 75 NE BOXLEY THE STREET
5/87 Church of St Mary and All Saints
Parish church. C13, C14 and C15, restored by Christian 1875-6.
Random ragstone and flint. South aisle random ragstone, galletted
ragstone to tower. Remains of earlier church forming narthex
to west tower. West tower, nave, gabled north and south
aisles, south porch to south aisle, chancel, south vestry to
chancel. Narthex: has half-hipped roof at west end. Renewed
Perpendicular window to left of centre, obscuring an earlier
blocked window. Chamfered 2-centred arched door with hood-mould
under window, with stoup to right. Blocked window with fragments
of tracery in west end of south wall. C19 window in older jamb
in east end of south wall. Tower: Perpendicular. 3 stages
on plinth with buttresses, crenellated parapet and north-east
stair turret. Crenellations and narrow edge of buttresses have
flint panels. Perpendicular bell-chamber windows. South aisle:
on lower plinth with buttresses to ends of south side. 4 different
Decorated windows, one in each gable end and one either side of
Porch. Gargoyle over east window. South Porch:on plinth. Door-
way with moulded architrave and broach stops. Roof with ashlar
pieces, curved collars and moulded cornice. Chancel: on plinth,
with buttresses. C19 windows. Vestry: C19. North Aisle:
on plinth. Largely C19 Decorated east window with worn gargoyle
over. North wall has projecting rood loft stairs Decorated
or early Perpendicular window towards east end, and decorated
window towards west end. Decorated west window. Central north
door, head of which springs from pilasters with moulded capitals
and bases. Small Perpendicular window over door. Interior:
Narthex has traces of Norman arcading in north wall; part of
a scallop capital visible. Later arched opening at east end
of wall. Common rafter roof with collars, sous-laces, ashlar
pieces and embattled moulded wood cornice. Tower: finely carved
early Perpendicular east and west doorways. West doorway has
hoodmould with carved heads for label stops, one a bishop, one
a king. Door to tower stairs with 2-centred arched head, hollow
chamfered, with broach stops. Nave: early C13 3-bay north and
south arcades with 2 small chamfers round arches and short thick
circular piers. Early Perpendicular moulded chancel arch
springing from pillars with moulded capitals and bases. Roof:
north and south aisles have steeply pitched C13 scissor-braced
roofs with moulded embattled, wood cornices and ashlar pieces.
Early C15 moulded crown-posts to nave roof. Chancel probably C19.
Fittings: piscina with cusped head and hood mould at east end of
south wall of south aisle and another with cusped ogee head at
east end of north aisle. Stoup by south door. Font with C19 bowl
on early C15 base. Monuments: Brass in east end of chancel to
Richard Tomynn, died 1576. Memorial tablet on south wall of south
aisle to George Charlton, Gent., died 1707, with an addition
to Elizabeth Charlton his second wife, died 1750. Large architect-
ural memorial tablet on north wall errected by Edwin Wiat in 1702
to memory of Sr. Henry Wiat of Alington Castle Knight Banneret who
was imprisoned and tortured in the tower in reign of King Richard III.
Memorial on north wall of north aisle to Hannah, wife of William
Champneys of Vinters, died 1748. Memorial by Joseph Kendrick
also on north wall of north aisle, to Frances, eldest daughter
of William Champneys late of Vinters Esquire, died 1800. Memorial
to William Champneys Esq., died 1760.
Listing NGR: TQ7733258920
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.