If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Date Listed: 26 April 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 173667
OS Grid Reference: TQ8468561676
OS Grid Coordinates: 584685, 161676
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3242, 0.6493
There is also a scheduled monument, Ringwork and Baileys at Church Farm, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Stockbury, Kent at Explore Britain.
TQ 86 SW STOCKBURY CHURCH LANE
2/161 Church of St. Mary
Parish Church. Late C12, C13, C15, east half restored after 1836,
nave restored 1851 - 2 by R.C. Hussey. Flint with stone dressings
and plain tile roof. West tower, nave, south porch, south
transept, chancel, north transept, north porch. Aisles roofed
as lean-tos. West tower at an angle to nave. C15. 2 stages on
plinth with gargoyles and battlemanted parapet, top reconstructed
by Hussey. Original circular stair turret to south-east corner
with small 2-centred arched door with hood-mould and hollow chamfer,
at base. C19 circular turret to north side. Early Perpendicular
west window. Large weathervane on SE stair turret decorated with
date 1676. South aisle wall and south porch by Hussey. South
transept: Plinthless. 2 restored lancets to east wall. Chancel:
Circa 1200. Lower than nave. Plinthless. 2 large restored lancets,
with hood-moulds terminating in curved stiff-leaf, to south wall
and 2 to north wall. East end C19. North transept: plinthless.
2 unrestored lancets to east wall. Large Perpendicular north
window, part restored, said to have been east-window of chancel.
North aisle: late C12 origin. Plinth. Octagonal rood-loft stair
turret with restored battlemented parapet at east end. 2 restored
Perpendicular windows. North porch: now vestry. On plinth, with
buttresses. Moulded doorway with hoodmould, and square panel with
quatrefoil and escutcheon above it. C19 octagonal stone chimney
on rectangular flint base at junction with aisle. Interior:
Structure: 4-bay nave with blocked round-headed clerestory windows.
All but west pier on either side rebuilt in C19. North-west pier
has original waterleaf capital and bell base. South-west pier has
Perpendicular capital and bell base is similar to north-west pier.
4-bay arcaded chancel, 2 west bays open to transepts. North
arcade and east half of south arcade have slender detached
Purbeck marble shafts with waterleaf bases and delicate stiff-
leaf capitals, with square moulded abaci bearing arches with
hollow chamfers and deep roll mouldings. Several restored. East,
central and west pier of arcade crossing south transept much
larger, of ordinary stone, central and west piers with highly
elaborate sprayed stiff-leaf capitals. C19 chancel arch.
Arch between south transept and south aisle has partly restored
columns with stiff-leaf capitals and waterleaf bases. Part of
much larger round-headed arch with plain impost, extending beyond
line of south aisle,embedded in west wall of south transept.
Fragements of early medieval window jambs in south wall. Triple
lancets to east wall with worn keel moulding; central lancet,
blocked, with Early English shafts, removed from chancel.
Plain corbelled imposts to north transept lancets. North-west
corner of north transept contains jamb with hollow chamfer with
stiff-leaf chamfer-stop to top and eight-petalled flowers, made
from stones found in south aisle wall. Roof: nave roof of 5 moulded
crown-posts on moulded cambered tie-beams. Moulded cornice and braced
pendant posts. South transept with 2 octagonal moulded crown-
posts on moulded tie-beams. Ashlar pieces and moulded cornice
to east side. Rest ceiled or C19. Fittings: remains of
Perpendicular traceried screens between chancel and transepts.
Compelte possibly medieval grisaille glass in north-east
lancet of north transept. Piscina in south wall of chancel with
delicate minature attached columns with stiff-leaf capitals
and water-leaf bases and restored trefoil head. C17 ogee wooden
font cover. Monuments: 2 brasses on chancel floor; on north side
to Dorothy Hooper, d. 1648; on south side to John Hooper d.
1617. (Archaeologia Cantiana, Notes and Queries, "XIX" Century
Restorations at Stockbury Church", Vol. 25, 1902.).
Listing NGR: TQ8452061692
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.