If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Mary the Virgin, Thurnham

Description: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Grade: I
Date Listed: 26 April 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 173712

OS Grid Reference: TQ8040957642
OS Grid Coordinates: 580409, 157642
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2893, 0.5859

Location: Thurnham Lane, Thurnham, Kent ME14 3LG

Locality: Thurnham
Local Authority: Maidstone Borough Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: ME14 3LG

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Thurnham, Kent at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TQ 85 NW THURNHAM THURNHAM LANE
(west side)

6/205 Church of St. Mary the
26.4.68 Virgin

GV I

Parish church. C12 to early C17. North chapel of galleted
stone, porches of small uneven blocks of stone, rest random
flint and stone. Plain tile roofs. West tower, continuous
nave and chancel with opposed north and south porches at west
end.Rectangular north chapel towards east end of nave. Battlemented
C14 tower of 2 stages, upper stage possibly rebuilt, with angle
buttresses. Cusped single-light belfry openings, small
Decorated west window and small west door with 2-centred arched
head, lightly-moulded jambs and hood-mould. South porch: early
C15, on plinth. Earlier inner door with 2-centred arched head
and moulded jambs. South wall of nave and chancel contains 2
restored early Perpendicular windows with hood-moulds towards
west end, one restored lancet and one cusped 2-light window with
no central light, set in architrave with angled head. Slight
trace of straight-joint immediately east of lancet; section to
west C12 or C13, section to east C14. East end has clasping
buttresses and large restored decorated east window under hood-
moulds stopped with carved heads. North chapel: circa 1603.
Rectangular on high stone plinth with small hipped roof behind
battlemented parapet. East wall has large rectangular window
of 4 plain round-headed lights under hood-mould. Smaller 3-
light window in same style in north wall, with restored blocked
3-centred arched doorway with rectangular hood-mould to west.
Small projecting stone stack at junction of west wall and nave.
North wall of nave has single restored early Perpendicular window.
North porch: similar to south porch, but with original roof.
Interior: Blocked round-headed Norman window in west end of
north wall. C14 tower arch. Single C15 round-headed arch to
north chapel, withmoulded capitals to piers, 3 possibly C14 crown-
post trusses to nave with moulded tie-beams and crown-posts
Chancel roof with collar purlin but no crown-posts. Chapel roof
early C17 with moulded beam and joists. 2 very small stone
fragments in south wall of chancel, one containing top of a small
decorative shaft. Moulded corbels in north and south walls,
possibly for rood loft.Aumbry. Piscina with shaped stone
basin. 2-centred arched sedile with filletted roll-moulding.
Elaborately carved reredos in memory of Mrs. Julia Jane Hampson,
d. 1904. wife of the Rev. William Seymour Hampson, made in
Oberammergau. Late C18 or early C19 pews. Octagonal font,
possibly C14, decorated with 8 different emblems. Monuments:
2 small brasses in Chapel floor; one to William Covert, one to
Lady Barbara Cutt, d. 1618, who founded the chapel in honour
of Sir Henry Cutt, knight, her first husband. On west wall of chapel,
momument with open pediment and fluted pilasters with shield
to base, to memory of Richard Sheldon Esq., d. 1736. Monument
on south wall of chancel in form of parchment hung with drapes
and surmounted by shield and gadrooned vase to memory of Mariae
Dering, d. 1725. On north wall of chancel, monument with broken
pediment containing plain urn, to memory of Thomas Wise, d. 1790
and other members of the family. Similar monument adjacent,to
Thomas Burwash, d. 1791, and members of Wise family.


Listing NGR: TQ8023257319

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |