British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Nicholas, Boughton Malherbe

Description: Church of St Nicholas

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 26 April 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 174235

OS Grid Reference: TQ8822849553
OS Grid Coordinates: 588228, 149553
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2141, 0.6937

Location: Boughton Road, Maidstone ME17 2BD

Locality: Boughton Malherbe
Local Authority: Maidstone Borough Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: ME17 2BD

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Boughton Malherbe, Kent at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TQ 84 NE (North side)

Grafty Green

6/9 Church of
St. Nicholas


Parish church. C13, C14 and C15, restored 1848-50 by Alexander Apsley,
and 1905. Ragstone, with plain tile roofs. West tower, nave, south aisle,
south porch, chancel with south chapel. West tower: C15. Three staqes
on moulded plinth. Unbuttressed. Battlements above moulded string.
Single cinquefoil-headed belfry lights with squared hoodmoulds. Similar
light to west side of central stage and similar 2-light window above west
door. Moulded 4-centred arched west doorway with quatrefoiled spandrels,
and squared hoodmould with carved heads as label stops. Iron gates before
ribbed door. External round-headed stoup with squared hoodmould. C19
lean-to to north with pointed-arched west doorway and small pointed north
window. Nave: projects slightly south of tower, with no plinth. South
aisle: C14. No plinth. Gabled. Three C19 two-light windows in a C14
style, with hoodmoulds: one to west and 2 flanking porch. South porch:
moulded stone plinth. Shaped sprockets to eaves. Moulded bressumer across
gable with close-studding of 1905 above. One window of 2 round-headed
lights to each side. 4-centred arched inner and outer doorways with
similar mouldings. Ceiling with moulded beams, joists and cornice. South:
chapel: C14. No plinth. Diagonal south-east buttress. C19 two-light
south window and 3-light east window, in C14 style. Chancel: C14 or
earlier, extended to east in 1848-50. No plinth. Moulded stone kneelers
to moulded stone-coped parapet. South-east angle buttress and single
buttress towards north. C19 three-light east window and 2-light north
window in a C14 style. C19 lean-to north vestry with truncated north
stack, 2-light east window and pointed-arched west doorway. North elevation
of nave: no plinth. Projects north of chancel and tower, with 2 buttresses.
Two C19 windows in a C14 style. Low blocked pointed-arched doorway toward
west end. Interior: 2-bay nave arcade of pointed arches, doubly chamfered
with plain and hollow chamfers. Octagonal central and semi-octagonal end
columns with moulded Bethersden marble capitals and bases. Similar chancel
arch dying into wall. Single doubly-chamfered arch between chancel and
south chapel, springing from semi-octagonal columns with moulded capitals
and bases, single-chamfered arch between south chapel and south aisle,
springing from scroll-moulded imposts and chamfered piers. Pointed, single-
chamfered C13 tower arch with undercut imposts and chamfered piers. Chancel
floor raised up 5 steps from nave, and altar a further 4 steps at east end.
Roof: 2-bay roof to nave with 3 slender octagonal moulded crown-posts, sous-
laces, ashlar pieces and moulded. cornice. Moulded tie-beams, that to east
end brattished. Moulded solid-spandrel braces from pendant posts to tie-
beams, carved with shields superimposed on quatrefoils and daggers. Small
carved stone corbels beneath pendant posts. Common rafter roof to south
aisle, with collars and sous-laces. Long ashlar pieces and moulded cornice
to south side only. Chancel and south chapel roofs similar to south aisle;
chancel C19, south chapel probably C19 with re-used timber. Fittings: no
visible piscinae. Octagonal font on Bethersden marble base. Pulpit
incorporating re-used linenfold panelling. Funeral hatchment under tower.
Straight-sided 4-centred arched multi- cusped opening between chancel and
south chapel. Stained glass in west window 1894 bv Kempe. Monuments:
small brass in chancel to Nicholas Wotton, d. 1499, with kneeling man,
wife and children. Brass in chancel to Sir Edward Wotton, d. 1551; armoured
knight and lady with shields. Plain rectangular brass in chancel to Sir
James Wotton, d. 1628, and in nave to Edmond Sanford,Gent., d.1652. Large
brass on south wall of chancel to Thomas, Lord Wotton, d.1630; three
rectangular plates, that to top bearing coat of arms, to centre, the
inscription and to base a draped urn with swags. Similar 3-plate brass
on north wall of chancel, to Mary, widow to Thomas, Lord Wotton, d. 1658.
Bust of Thomas Wotton, d.1587, recessed in roundel in north wall of
chancel; motto to rim of roundel, alabaster shield with raised coat of
arms and achievements set in wall above, and rectangular plate with
inscription below. Rectangular alabaster tablet set within blocked north
doorway, to Dr. Leonell Sharpe, chaplain to Earl of Essex, Queen
Elizabeth, Prince Henry and King James; d.1630. Eared and shouldered,
with cherub's head to base plate and surmounted by 3 shields. Two
kneeling alabaster figures to south side of south aisle, probably from a
monument, circa 1600. Three white marble lions in chancel, formerly
supporting black marble pyramid on monument of Daniel O'Neale, d.1663.
Pyramid slabs said to have been used to floor vestry. [J. Newman, B.O.E.
Series, West Kent and the Weald 19801.

Listing NGR: TQ8819449629

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.