If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 26 April 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 174408
OS Grid Reference: TQ8433655085
OS Grid Coordinates: 584336, 155085
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2651, 0.6408
Explore more of the area around Hollingbourne, Kent at Explore Britain.
HOLLINGBOURNE UPPER STREET
TQ 85 NW (West Side)
1/180 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C14, C15 and circa 1638, altered 1869. Restored 1876 by
G.G. Scott Jun. South vestry 1903 by W.D. Caroe. Flint and stone. North
chapel ashlared stone with band of flint and stone flushwork above and below
string. Plain tile roofs., West tower, nave, south aisle, south vestry,
chancel, north chapel built over vault, north aisle, north porch. West Tower:
No plinth, no buttresses. 3 stages, with battlements above moulded, gargoyled
string. 2-light belfry windows with cinquefoil-headed lights and squared
hoodmould. Similar single light towards base of each side of central stage,
and one to bottom stage, above door. 2-centred arched moulded west doorway
with carved heads as label stops. South aisle: early C14. Moulded stone
plinth. South-west angle buttress. 3-light C14 west window with mouchettes,
and hoodmould with carved heads as label stops. Three 2-centred arched
traceried 3-light south windows with hoodmoulds, alternating with buttresses.
South vestry: moulded stone plinth. Moulded string to eaves. Flushwork
parapet with moulded coping stepped up at corners. 2 small octagonal stone
flues to south-west corner. 2-light south window and low 2-centred arched
east doorway. Chancel: late C14. No plinth. 2-light south window with
hoodmould. 3-light east window with cinquefoil-headed lights, polygonal
tracery, and hoodmould. North window as south. North chapel: moulded
ashlared plinth. Battlemented parapet above moulded string. 3-light
segmental-headed east window with stepped hollow-chamfered pointed arched
lights. North aisle: later C14. No plinth. 2 buttresses. Two 3-light
traceried windows to east and one to west of north porch, the easternmost
incorporating broad trefoil-headed panel; all with hoodmoulds. North porch:
flint plinth with moulded stone coping. Buttresses flanking entrance.
Trefoil-headed side lights. 2-centred arched moulded stone outer doorway,
hoodmould formerly with carved label stops. 2-centred arched inner doorway
with different moulding. Interior: structure: 3 bay nave arcade to north
and south, of doubly hollow-chamfered pointed arches. Octagonal columns
with moulded capitals and bases, those to north different and probably later
C14. No chancel arch or tower arch. Soffits of westernmost chancel rafters
plastered to form canted arch. Low pointed-arched doorway to tower with
broad hollow chamfer and moulded hoodmould. Access to north chapel up 4
steps from east end of north aisle only; round-headed archway cut through a
former window. North-west chancel window blocked by chapel. East window
of south aisle blocked by vestry; traceried as westernmost window of north
aisle. North-east corner of north aisle raised up 2 steps over vault, but
lower than floor of north chapel. Roof: 3 moulded octagonal crown posts
to nave, on doubly-hollow-chamfered tie-beams. Sous-laces and ashlar pieces.
Hollow-chamfered cornice. Truss removed from east end of nave. Chancel roof
of common rafters, with collars, sous-laces and long ashlar-pieces, hollow-
chamfered cornice and 2 hollow-chamfered tie-beams. Flat plastered ceiling
to north chapel. Lean-to roofs to aisles with hollow-chamfered aligned butt
purlins, tie-beams and cornices. Fittings: no piscinae visible. Octagonal
stone font with moulded octagonal stem , on octagonal plinth, attached to
south side of south-west nave column. Early C16 crocketed ogee wooden font
cover with hoist. Hexagonal C17 pulpit. C17 wrought iron gates to north
chapel. Box pew in north-east corner of north aisle granted to Baldwin Duppa
1737. Pews by G.G. Scott Jun. Two hatchments to north-east corner of north
Decoration: C17 Culpeper arms in east window of north chapel. Deeply
coloured stained glass in north-west window of north aisle and east window
of chancel, date of death 1873. North chapel has moulded stone dado rail.
and moulded and inscribed stone cornice at impost level of window, with
numerous small raised shields to wall between them, all but 5 blank.
Monuments: tablet on south wall of south aisle, to Samuel Plummer, d.1705.
Black and white marble with moulded plinth, flanking pilasters, cornice,
and scrolled pediment with shield. Tablet on south wall of south aisle, to
Philippa Culpeper, d.1630. Black and white alabaster. Convex tablet with
cupids heads to base and segmental open-topped pediment with 3 shields.
Tablet on south wall of south aisle to the Right Honourable John Lord
Colepeper, d.1719, and to Cheny Colepeper, d.l725. Erected after latter's
death and signed by Rysbrack Marble. Moulded consoled plinth with heraldic
beasts supporting blank shield. Flanking Ionic columns, moulded frieze, and
moulded triangular pediment, surmounted by gadrooned urns. Monument on
south wall of chancel to Martin Barnham, d.1610, and members of Barnham
family. Alabaster. 2 recessed coffered arches sheltering 2 kneeling couples,
flanked by composite columns. Moulded cornice with short terminal obelisks
and 3 shields. Children carved in relief below arches, with inscribed panel
below them. Standing monument to Francis Culpeper, d.1591, and Johanna,
d.1597. Stone chest tomb with moulded plinth, corniced lid and blank shields.
Surmounted by 2 free-standing Corinthian columns, flanking inscription and
bearing moulded frieze and cornice. Terminal obelisks and plain shield.
Columns, frieze and borders of inscription covered with finely-carved damask
pattern in low relief. Monument on north wall of chancel to John, Lord
Culpeper, d.1660. Erected 1695. Inscribed panel flanked by foliated scrolls.
Moulded plinth and cornice and open-tapped segmental pediment with shield.
Further panel below plinth bearing copy of Patent of Honour. Monument to
Dame Grace Gethin, d.1697 on north wall of chancel. Black and white marble.
Kneeling woman flanked by standing angels and cupid's head, framed by Ionic
columns, on consoled plinth with shields. Inscribed convex panel between
consoles and above figures. All surmounted by reclining mourners, shield,
urn and scrolled pediment. Said to be second, similar, monument to her in
Westminster Abbey. Tablet on north wall of north aisle, to Baldwin Duppa,
d.1737. Erected 1738 and signed by Rysbrack Marble, on moulded, consoled
plinth. Inscription flanked by inverted scrolls and youthful heads. Egg and
dart cornice surmounted by gadrooned urn on a plinth. Similar tablet on east
wall of north aisle, to Baldwin Duppa, d.1764, signed by Rysbrack Free-
standing chest tomb in centre of north chapel, to Elizabeth Culpeper, d.1638.
Signed by Edward Marshall. Chest tomb in black and white marble, with
moulded plinth, pilasters and shields. Cartouche to each end. Reclining
white marble effigy of woman with heraldic beast beneath feet.
Chancel probably rebuilt after earthquake of.1382.
[J. Newman, D.O.E. Series, North East and East Kent, 1976. Allen Grove,
Hollingbourne Church and Village, n.d.)
Listing NGR: TQ8436155282
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.