If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Michael and All Angels, Marden

Description: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Grade: I
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 174692

OS Grid Reference: TQ7442344643
OS Grid Coordinates: 574423, 144643
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1744, 0.4938

Location: Church Green, Marden, Kent TN12 9HS

Locality: Marden
Local Authority: Maidstone Borough Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: TN12 9HS

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Marden, Kent at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TQ 7444 MARDEN CHURCH GREEN
(north side)

5/36 Church of St Michael and All
Angels (formerly listed as
23.5.67 Church of St Michael)

GV I

Parish church. Circa 1200, C13, C14, C15, and circa 1554. Restored
1868. Tower restored 1909. Roughly-coursed sandstone to tower, north
and south aisles and south porch. Random sandstone, ragstone and
puddingstone, with ragstone gable, to south chancel chapel. Random
sandstone and ragstone to chancel, and sandstone on ragstone base to
north chancel chapel. Ragstone and sandstone dressings. Plain tile
roofs to nave and chapels, leaded roof to north aisle. West tower,
nave, south aisle extending to west face of tower, south porch with
parvis chamber, chancel extending east of north and south chancel
chapels, north aisle narrower than north chancel chapel and
terminating at west end of nave. West tower: C13 or early C14, with
later belfry. No plinth. 3 stone stages. Fourth, belfry stage
weatherboarded with pyramidal slate roof and weathervane. Louvred
section to each face of belfry. 2 chamfered rectangular lancets to
each face of third stage (one only to east). Chamfered pointed lancet
to north and south faces of second stage, and small west lancet with
ogee head. Broad pointed north lancet to bottom stage and small ogee-
headed west window. Blocked rectangular opening to north between
bottom and second stages. Doubly plain-chamfered pointed-arched west
doorway in very slight projection with ragstone quoins, which dies
back into tower wall below window. Integral north-west stair turret
to two lowest stages, in form of clasping buttress with slit lights
and lean-to roof. South aisle: early C14. Chamfered ragstone plinth
to south. Two south buttresses. West end bay, adjoining south side of
tower, rebuilt in ragstone in C19 or early C20, except part of west
gable end which is continuous with the tower, has no plinth and
contains a small blocked lancet. Plain sandstone rubble parapet above
vestigial hollow-chamfered ragstone cornice. Two C19 windows in a C14
style to west of porch and one to east. South porch: early C14.
Chamfered ragstone rubble plinth. Plain parapet above flush ragstone
band. Diagonal buttresses. Pointed south lancet to parvis chamber.
Blocked rectangular east and west lancets to ground floor. Plain-
chamfered outer doorway, with doubly plain-chamfered pointed arch
dying into jambs. Moulded pointed-arched inner doorway with broach
stops and medieval door. Wooden bench to each side of porch. Broad
close-set joists. Integral octagonal north-west stair turret in angle
with nave, with corbelled parapet rising well above porch. South
chancel chapel: C14, partly rebuilt after fire of 1554. No plinth or
buttresses. Gabled, with higher eaves and lower ridge than chancel.
Two-light C19 south-west window with adjacent C19 doorway. Three-
light C19 east window. Chancel: circa 1200 origins, restored 1868. No
plinth or buttresses. Much lower ridge than nave. One pointed-arched
trefoil-headed lancet with hoodmould to south, and another to north.
C19 three-light east window. Rainwater heads dated 1868. North
chancel chapel: C15. Chamfered ragstone plinth. Higher eaves and
lower ridge than chancel. Diagonal north-east buttress and one south
buttress. C15 three-light east window and two C15 two-light north
windovs each with cinquefoil-headed lights, tracery of vertical bars,
and moulded hoodmould. North aisle: early C14. Slightly narrower than
north chapel, but with higher eaves. No plinth. Diagonal north-west
buttress and two north buttresses. Lean-to roof, with vestiges of
hollow-chamfered ragstone cornice across west gable end. Three three-
light north windows alternating with buttresses; one C19 in a C14
style, two C14, one with cusped cinquefoil, the other with cusped
intersecting tracery, all with hoodmoulds. C19 two-light west window.
Low moulded pointed-arched north doorway. Interior: structure: 3-bay
C14 north and south arcades to nave, one slightly earlier than the
other. South arcade has doubly hollow-chamfered pointed arches, with
roll-and-fillet hoodmoulds dropping to vestigial demi-figures;
octagonal columns and semi-octagonal end piers with water-holding
bases and with capitals alternately moulded and carved with raised
oak, ivy and water-lily leaves. North arcade has lightly doubly
plain-chamfered pointed arches and alternating circular and octagonal
piers and columns with moulded capitals and bases. Bevelled pointed
chancel arch of c.1200 springing from moulded imposts above chamfered
jambs with bar and broach stops. 2-bay chancel arcades, that to south
C14 with plain and hollow-chamfered pointed arches, engaged shafts
with bell capitals to ends, and octagonal column with moulded capital
and base. C15 north arcade with doubly hollow-chamfered pointed
arches, octagonal column and semi-octagonal piers with concave sides
and moulded capitals and bases. Hollow-chamfered pointed arch and
similar piers between north chancel chapel and north aisle. Doubly
plain-chamfered pointed arch between south chapel and south aisle,
outer order dying into wall, inner springing from corbels, one with
carved face. Relatively low C13 or early C14 plain-chamfered pointed
tower arch with broach stops and no imposts. Unbevelled pointed arch
between tower base and west end bay of south aisle (no access from
rest of aisle). Concave ashlared architraves and moulded rere-arches
to windows of north chancel chapel. Boarded window between parvis
chamber and south aisle. Blocked pointed-arched north doorway. Plain-
chamfered pointed-arched doorway with broach stops, in south wall of
south aisle, to parvis chamber stairs. Doorway with cambered head in
south wall of north aisle, to rood loft stairs. Roof: crown-post roof
to nave, with 4 moulded octagonal crown posts, sous-laces, ashlar-
pieces, and chamfered tie-beams. Crown-post roof to chancel with 2
square moulded crown posts, sous-laces and ashlar-pieces. North
chapel roof similar to chancel, adjusted to east on account of
window. Restored crown-post roof to south chapel. Aligned-butt-purlin
lean-to roof to each aisle. Fittings: moulded octagonal stone font
carved with initials and date EM 1662. Tall octagonal wooden font
RB
cover, probably of similar date, sides hinged to enable front 4
panels to open out in 2 leaves; arcaded sides, moulded and
modillioned cornice with vase finial to each corner, and tall central
finial. Monuments: moulded pointed-arched C14 tomb recess with
cinquefoiled soffit and remains of triangular pediment to east end of
south wall of south chancel chapel. Tablet on south wall of south
chancel chapel to Edward Cole, Gent., d.1757, and family, and erected
c.1803. Inscription flanked by spiky foliage and tapering reeded
columns. Moulded plinth, shaped base-plate with cherub's head,
moulded cornice with urns and grey marble obelisk with draped urn in
relief. Tablet on east wall of north side of nave to George
Maplesden, d.1688, erected after 1755. Inscription flanked by
inverted scrolls. Plinth moulded and consoled. Moulded triangular
pediment surmounted by coat of arms and armoured arm carrying axe-
head, set against triangular obelisk surmounted by small gadrooned
urn. Stained glass by Patrick Reyntiens, 1962, to three chancel
windows; north and south abstract, east with Christ in Majesty
flanked by angel with trumpet and angel with lance. (J. Newman,
Buildings of England Series, West Kent and the Weald, 1980 edition).


Listing NGR: TQ7442344641

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |