British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Great Cheveney House Great Cheveney House South, Marden

Description: Great Cheveney House Great Cheveney House South

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 174704

OS Grid Reference: TQ7357842234
OS Grid Coordinates: 573578, 142234
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1530, 0.4806

Location: B2079, Marden, Kent TN12 9LX

Locality: Marden
Local Authority: Maidstone Borough Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: TN12 9LX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Marden, Kent at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

(west side)

3/47 Great Cheveney
House and Great
23.5.67 Cheveney House


House. C15, with alterations and additions of late C15 or early C16,
late C16 or early C17, mid C17, and 1747. Timber framed core. Left
wing red and grey brick in Flemish bond to front, and brick
infilling to broadly-spaced studding to left side of ground floor,
first floor tile-hung. Front wing and central rear wing brick on
ground floor (part of front wing in English bond) and tile-hung
above. Main range and right side of front wing red brick in Flemish
bond with thin mortar joints. Plain tile roofs. C15 open hall of 2
timber-framed bays, formerly also with storeyed end bays, that to
right re-built or extended in C15 or early C16 to project to rear as
cross-wing (central rear wing). Storeyed left end bay altered in
late C16 or early C17, and a cross-wing (left wing) of 3 timber-
framed bays added to its left side, projecting to rear. Mid C17 wing
(front wing) of 2 timber-framed bays built projecting forwards from
front elevation of storeyed left end bay and narrow left hall bay of
C15 section. Right hall bay refaced, and storeyed right end bay
rebuilt (except section projecting to rear), and extended to right
in 1747 (main range). 2 storeys, attic and basement. Continuous
jetty to long left side of left wing. Plat band to main range and to
right side of front wing. Boxed eaves to main range. Roof of left
wing hipped to front, with slightly lower eaves than front wing, and
half-hipped to rear. Roof of front wing hipped to front with same
eaves line as main range. Central rear wing half-hipped to rear.
Main range roofed in two spans, with hip to right end. Early-to-mid
C17 stack with 3 octagonal flues on moulded rectangular plinth set
across ridge towards centre of left wing. Projecting early-to-mid
C17 brick stack in English bond with moulded brick cornice to base
of rectangular flue, to left side of front wing. Brick stack in rear
slope of roof towards left end of main range (to right end of left
hall bay). 2 hipped dormers to main range. Irregular fenestration of
5 windows; one four-light diamond mullion window and one small six-
paned light to front gable end of left wing, and three recessed 16-
pane sashes to main range, one to left and two to right of door. 2
recessed 16-pane sashes to right side of front wing. Splayed rubbed
brick voussoirs to ground-floor windows of main range. Further wood
mullion windows to rear of wings. Boarded door under flat bracketed
hood to front gable end of left wing. Panelled door with two top
lights in panelled recess, with flat bracketed hood, to left end of
former storeyed right end bay. Further panelled door to rear of
hall. Brick over ground-floor window of main range carved with
initials and date E * M 1747. Sash window to right gable end has,
scratched on pane, 1761 James (Peachy?). Interior: only partly
inspected. Exposed framing. Chamfered beams. Smoke-blackened crown-
post roof to former open hall, with octagonal crown post with square
moulded capital and base. Moulded octagonal crown post to central
rear wing. Clasped-purlin roof to left and front wings. Staggered
butt purlin roof to right end bays. Late C16 or early C17 fireplace
to left end of hall. Slightly later stack to left wing, with plain
brick ground-floor fireplace, elliptical brick first-floor fireplace
with catered bressumer, and graffiti date of 1656 in attic. Plank
and muntin right end-of-hall partition re-used as shelves. C17
panelling to ground floor of right hall bay. Sections of C17
staircase with splat balusters and moulded handrail. Three-plank
doors. Lath-and-plaster partition to attic of front wing, said to be
pen for fighting cocks. Complete brick stack, bread oven and copper
stand to ground floor of front wing. Panelled C18 internal shutters
to ground-floor windows of main range. (K. Gravett, unpublished
analysis, 1980s).

Listing NGR: TQ7357842234

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.