If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 174829
OS Grid Reference: TQ7155853501
OS Grid Coordinates: 571558, 153501
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2549, 0.4571
Explore more of the area around West Farleigh, Kent at Explore Britain.
WEST FARLEIGH LOWER ROAD
TQ 75 SW
2/26 Church of All
Parish church. Late Cll or C12 and Cl5, restored 1875. Small blocks
of roughly-coursed ragstone to tower. Random ragstone to organ chamber.
Nave and chancel pebbledashed. Tufa quoins to chancel. Plain tile roof.
West tower, nave, slightly narrower square-ended chancel. South porch
to nave. South-west organ chamber to chancel. West tower: C15. Two
stages, on chamfered stone plinth. Battlements above moulded string. No
buttresses. Single trefoil-headed belfry light to each face except
east, each with small chamfered slit light some distance below it.
Rectangular light towards top of west face of lower stage. Small two-
light west window with trefoil-headed lights and squared hoodmould.
Moulded round-headed west doorway with moulded round-headed hoodmould.
North-east stair turret, becoming octagonal towards top, rising above
tower, with battlements above chamfered andgargoyled string. Nave:
late C11 or C12. No visible plinth. Small broad lancet-type window
towards west end of south elevation. C19 pointed-arched two-light
traceried window with hoodmould to right of porch. Small round-headed
late C11 or C12 window under eaves, with tall lancet set lower immediately
to east of it. South porch: C19. Glazed wooden tracery on high chamfered
stone base. Cusped bargeboards to gable. Plain tile roof. Pointed-
arched wooden outer opening, weatherboarded above. Moulded three-or
four-centred arched C15 stone inner doorway. Organ chamber: C19.
Gabled to south, with lower eaves than chancel. Low pointed-arched
west doorway and pointed-arched two-light south window with hoodmould.
Chancel: late C11 or C12. No visible plinth. Lower eaves than nave.
Traceried two-light window with hoodmould to south, and another to
north. 3 small separate round-headed east windows, that to centre
stepped above the others. Small blocked rectangular opening towards
west end of north elevation. North elevation of nave: No visible
plinth. Small round-headed late C11 or C12 window under eaves towards
centre. Two-light cavetto-moulded C15 window towards east end, with
cinquefoil-headed lights, four-centred arched head and moulded hoodmould.
Similar C15 two-light window towards west, but smaller and with pointed
head. Interior structure: round-headed chancel arch of two plain square
tufa orders without imposts. Round-headed tufa west doorway to nave,
visible from base of tower, with fat roll between two square orders,
and with cushion capital surviving to south side. Round-headed windows
splayed towards interior, that to north side of nave with tufa rere-
arch. Stone window seat in recess beneath south-east nave lancet and
south chancel window. C15 round-headed hollow-chamfered-doorway with
broach stops and two-plank door, to tower stair turret. Roof: common-
rafter roof to nave with ashlar-pieces and sous-laced collars. Three
moulded arch-braced tie-beams (one to east and two to centre) with
moulded pendant posts, each with blank wooden shield to base. Moulded
cornice. Similar roof to chancel but with un-braced plain-chamfered
tie-beams, moulded and brattished cornice, and no pendant posts.
Fittings: piscina to east side of south-east nave lancet seat recess
with two pointed arches set at right-angles to each other. Similar
piscina under south chancel window. C17 octagonal stone font on
Bethersden marble base. Wooden font cover with moulded base, crocketed
dome and moulded finial. Panelled C18 family pew, with frieze of
pierced panels below cornice. Royal Arms over tower doorway.
Monuments: tomb recess to south wall of nave, with cusped and subcusped
arch under squared hoodmould, shields to spandrels, and frieze of Tudor
flowers. Tablet on south wall of nave to Mrs. Elizabeth Kirby, d.1748.
Oval, with cherub's head below base, achievements towards top, and
festooned urn above. Tablet on south wall of nave to John Davis, d.1776.
Rectangular inscription panel, with grey marble border, shaped base-
plate with cherub's head and roses, moulded cornice, and grey obelisk
above with urn and achievements. Monument on east wall of nave to south
of chancel arch, to Edward Goulston, d.1720; grey-veined marble; moulded
plinth on gadrooned consoles, with draped rectangular base plate
terminating in skull. Inscription flanked by fluted pilasters with
acanthus capitals, flanked in turn by inverted scrolls. Cherub's head
above inscription. Moulded broken-based segmental pediment enclosing
achievements, and surmounted by gadrooned urn. Monument to north of
chancel arch to Jane Brewer, d.1676. Rectangular inscription panel with
moulded border, set on moulded black marble plinth with gadrooned
consoles and palm frond base plate. Inscription flanked by Ionic columns
and by inverted foliated scrolls. Moulded cornice and scrolled pediment
with achievements. Monument on north wall of nave to Jane Brewer, d.1716,
by Robert Taylor. Grey-veined marble. Consoles, moulded and gadrooned
plinth. Draped base plate with shield and cherub's heads. Fluted Doric
pilasters and triglyphed frieze. Moulded cornice breaking forwards over
pilasters and surmounted by three urns. Monument on north wall of
chancel to Augustine Skynner, d.1672. White marble inscription panel
on black ground. Moulded and consoled black marble plinth. Rectangular
base plate with shield. Ionic columns flanking inscription Moulded
cornice surmounted by achievements. Hanging monument on north wall of
chancel to Edward Lawrence, d.1605. Kneeling figures of man with sons
and woman with daughters in recess above inscription panel, all enclosed
by ribboned side panels. Shaped base plate. Plain frieze with obelisk
finials and scrolled central achievements. (J. Newman, Buildings of
England Series, West Kent and the Weald; 1980 edition).
Listing NGR: TQ7132052730
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.