Church of St Margaret, Collier Street
Description: Church of St Margaret
Date Listed: 14 October 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 174880
OS Grid Reference: TQ7170346035
OS Grid Coordinates: 571703, 146035
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1878, 0.4556
Location: 8 Green Lane, Yalding, Kent TN12 9SB
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Explore more of the area around Collier Street, Kent at Explore Britain.
TQ 74 NW
Church of St.
Parish church. 1847-49 by P.C. Hardwick in a C13 style. Restored 1986,
after fire in north aisle. Small blocks of roughly-coursed stone. Plain
tile roofs, to nave, chancel and vestry. Slate roof to aisle. Shingled
spire. Nave, with tower towards west end of south elevation. Chancel,
narrower than nave, with vestry to north. North aisle to nave. Chamfered
stone plinth round whole church. Foliated label-stops to hoodmoulds
unless otherwise stated. West end of nave: buttress between nave and
aisle, and to south-west corner. Chamfered string with foliated stops,
stepped up over doorway, continued round buttresses, and dropped lower
along south wall of nave and west end of north aisle. Gable has roll-
moulded kneelers, and doubly plain-chamfered circular window with semi-
circular hoodmould, towards apex. Two doubly plain-chamfered pointed
lancets with hoodmoulds, north window with foliated stops, south with
carved heads. West doorway of three orders of plain-chamfered pointed
arches springing from engaged shafts with bell capitals, and with hoodmould
with carved heads to label stops. Boarded door with scrolled hinges.
South elevation of nave: one single-chamfered lancet towards west end.
Three similar lancets alternating with buttresses to east of tower.
Tower: three stages, with clasping south-east and south-west buttresses.
Deeper plinth than to rest of church. Scroll-moulded string between lower
stages. Chamfered offset between central and belfry stage. Moulded
cornice band. Splay-footed octagonal spire with encircled cross finial.
Arcaded belfry stage with four chamfered pointed arches to each face, with
engaged shafts with bell capitals and bases; two outer arches blind, two
inner louvred. Single-chamfered south lancet to central stage. South
doorway of three plain-chamfered orders, the inner order springing from
semi-octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases in a C14 style, and
with broach stops below bases. Hoodmould with heads to label stops.
Chancel: lower eaves and ridge than nave. Higher string, stepped up over-
south doorway. Clasping north-east and south-east buttresses and single
south buttress. Moulded kneelers to gable. Paired doubly plain-chamfered
shafted lancets with scroll-moulded hoodmould, towards west end of south
elevation, towards east end of south elevation, and towards east end of
north elevation. Similar east window with stepped triple lancets, and
scroll-moulded hoodmould. Doubly plain-chamfered south doorway with
Caernavon arch, broach stops and door with scrolled hinges. Vestry: at
right-angles towards west end of chancel. East buttress. Gable with moulded
kneelers, and squat chimney stack to apex. North window of three Caernavon-
arched lights in ashlared architrave. Chamfered pointed-arched east doorway
with broach stops, keel-moulded hoodmould, and door with scrolled hinges.
North aisle: four paired plain-chamfered lancets alternating with buttresses.
Chamfered west lancet with hoodmould. Plain-chamfered pointed-arched
doorway with moulded imposts and hoodmould with heads to label stops, to
second bay from west. Interior: structure: five-bay north arcade to nave,
of doubly plain-chamfered pointed arches springing from circular columns with
bell capitals and bases. Piers to which end columns are engaged are chamfered
with bar stops. Doubly-chamfered pointed chancel arch, inner order springing
from semi-octagonal columns with scroll-moulded capitals and water-holding
bases. Scroll-moulded hoodmould with heads to label stops. North and south
chancel lancets have shafted rere-arches, the moulding on the bell capital
of the central shaft carried back to the centre of the external window.
Scroll-moulded hoodmoulds with folihtedstops. East window has paired
shafts to jamb and triple shafts between lights, all ringed. Moulded
doorway with cambered head and door with scrolled hinges to vestry.
Fleur-de-lys hinges to south chancel door. Roof: five-bay roof to nave
of collared principal rafters, with collar purlin and butt side purlins.
Continuous arch brace from pendant posts via butt purlins to collar purlin,
with bosses at each intersection. Stone corbels with bell capitals, and
stems carved alternately with foliage and heads. Intermediate trusses arch-
braced, with bosses, from top of moulded cornice. Ashlar pieces to common
rafters. Collared rafters with scissor braces, ashlar pieces and moulded
cornice, to chancel. Butt purlin roof to aisle, principal rafters springing
from roll-moulded corbels in north wall, and arch-braced from corbels on
back of nave arcade. Fittings: scroll-moulded string to chancel and south
side of nave. Stone pulpit with coved stem, enriched cornice, and stone
steps with wrought iron hand-rail, in south-east corner of nave. Octagonal
stone font on four columns with moulded capitals and bases, to south-west
corner of nave. Collier Street became a separate ecclesiastical parish in
1858. (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series, West Kent and The Weald,
Listing NGR: TQ7191046568
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.