If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 174909
OS Grid Reference: TQ6984650069
OS Grid Coordinates: 569846, 150069
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2245, 0.4310
There is also a scheduled monument, Yalding Bridge, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Yalding, Kent at Explore Britain.
YALDING HIGH STREET
6/111 Church of St. Peter
and St. Paul
23-5-67 under High Street,
Parish church. C13, early C14 and C15, restored in C19 and C20. Small blocks
of roughly-coursed ragstone and sandstone to tower with later brick repairs.
Uncoursed ragstone and sandstone to north and south porches, north and south
transepts, east gable of nave and (partly rendered) to north aisle. Chancel
rendered. Small blocks of coursed galleted ragstone to south aisle. Plain
tile roofs to porches and chancel, slate roofs to nave and transepts, lead
roof to north aisle, south aisle not visible. West tower, nave with north
and south aisles (north aisle continuing to west end of tower), north and
south porches, north and south transepts, chancel only slightly narrower than
nave. West tower: C13. No plinth. No external delineation of stages,
except fragments of a stone string course between probable bottom and central
stages, on south side of tower and stair turret. Short C14 or C15 south-
west angle buttresses. Plain renewed coursed and galleted stone parapet.
Two lancets with later brick dressings to each face of belfry except east.
Blocked pointed-arched stone lancet to centre of north face about half way
up, and another, with brick dressings, to south. Blocked lancet half way
up west face set towards north side and probably one of a pair. Central
lancet with brick dressings above west door. Narrow pointed-arched chamfered
stone lancet towards base on south side, to east of centre. Moulded pointed-
arched stone west doorway with broach stops and hoodmould. Chamfered
pointed-arched stone stoup to south of doorway. Circular C13 south-east stair
turret rising above tower parapet, with moulded stone cornice, and leaded
onion dome with weathervane dated 1734. South aisle: early C14, probably
re-faced at a later date. Chamfered stone plinth and low chamfered stone
string-course. Lean-to roof with shaped sprockets. South-west angle
buttresses. C14 west window with moulded jambs, two trefoil-headed lights,
encircled cinquefoil, and scroll-moulded hoodmould with shaped label stops.
Two restored C15 three-light pointed-arched traceried south windows,
flanking porch. South porch: C14. No plinth. Pebbledashed gable. No
side lights. Pointed-arched outer doorway with moulded head dying into broad
plain-chamfered jambs, and with scroll-moulded hoodmould with label stops.
Inner doorway not visible at time of re-survey. South transept: early C14.
No plinth. Gabled, with lower eaves than aisle. South-west and south-east
angle buttresses. Restored traceried three-light south window with hoodmould.
Two restored C14 two-light east windows similar to west window of south
aisle, but with moulded mullions and tracery. Nave gable: stone coping
with shaped stone kneelers. Small blocked pointed-arched stone window
towards apex. Chancel: C13. No plinth. Diagonal north-east and south-east
buttresses. Low-set C15 two-light south-west window with moulded jambs,
cinquefoil-headed lights and squared moulded hoodmould, and with east jamb
of blocked window (probably a lancet) above it. Two tall evenly-spaced
pointed south lancets with rendered chamfered stone jambs. Low moulded
pointed-arched C14 or C15 stone doorway under the extant west lancet. Three-
light traceried, pointed-arched east window with moulded hoodmould. North
elevation has high chamfered stone string, interrupted towards east end by
C18 memorial tablet, illegible at time of re-survey, with acanthus consoles,
lightly-moulded plinth, and eared semi-circular head with moulded cornice.
Blocked pointed-arched lancet with plain-chamfered architrave to west of
centre, partly cut into by C14 or early C15 two-light window with cinquefoil-
headed lights and triangular head. Triangular head of blocked upper rood-
loft stair doorway under eaves against north transept wall. North transept:
early C14. No plinth. Gabled, with lower eaves than aisle. North-east
and north-west angle buttresses. Three-or-four-centred arched head of
blocked doorway to base of rood-loft stairs, towards junction with chancel.
Stair turret non-extant. Two evenly-spaced early C14 two-light east
windows similar to east windows of south transept. Tall three-light north
window with three encircled cinquefoils. West elevation unfenestrated, but
north aisle appears to cut across part of triangular head of blocked door
or window. North aisle: early C14, possibly with C13 origins, and possibly
refaced in C15 or later. North-west angle buttresses and one north buttress.
Chamfered stone plinth, lower to west of porch. Chamfered stone string-
course to east of porch only. Two C15 windows flanking porch, each with
three cinquefoil-headed lights, tracery of vertical bars and moulded hood-
mould. Two-light early C14 window, similar to that in south aisle, to
section of aisle under tower, and another to west gable end. Tower masonry
extends short distance into west gable. North porch: C14. Similar to
south porch, but with stone gable. Panelled double doors with leaded
Gothick fanlight to outer doorway. Moulded pointed-arched inner doorway with
bar and cushion stops and scroll-moulded hoodmould. Interior: structure:
four-bay C14 north and south arcades to nave, with doubly hollow-chamfered
pointed arches and octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases.
Similar archway, but with engaged semi-octagonal columns, between each
transept and nave, and between nave and chancel. Doubly plain-chamfered
pointed tower arch with engaged semi-circular columns with bell capitals
and bases. Similar archway, but with different capitals and no base
moulding, between base of tower and north aisle. Doubly hollow-chamfered
pointed arch dying into walls between transept and aisle on each side.
Blocked four-centred-arched hollow-chamfered doorway to base of rood-loft
stairs to south-east corner of north transept, and another higher up to
north-west corner of chancel. Blocked pointed-arched doorway between north
aisle and section of it to north of tower. Keel-moulded rere-arch and
deeply undercut hoodmould to each south chancel lancet, the hoodmould ends
turned inwards as impost strings and also joined between the lancets.
Hollow-chamfered rere arches with hoodmoulds, cushion stops and broach stops,
to transept windows. Roof: nave roof boarded in seven cants, section between
north and south arches with ribs and small gilded bosses. Latticed section
over chancel arch. Four cambered tie-beams. Transept roofs boarded in five
cants. Chancel roof with moulded cornice, and with moulded octagonal crown-
posts on moulded cambered tie-beams to centre and west end. Aligned butt
purlin roofs to aisles, with hollow-chamfered principal rafters, purlins
and cornices. Fixtures and fittings: scroll-moulded stone string-courses
to east walls and gable ends of transepts. Moulded early C14 ogee-headed
niche with cushion stops, above string course to east wall of south transept.
Moulded round-headed niche with cinquefoiled soffit, squared hoodmould, and
roses to spandrels, and trefoiled hollow-chamfered niche with hoodmould, to
same wall. Moulded pointed-arched piscina to east end of south wall of
transept, with trefoiled soffit, small stone shelf in rear wall, and incised
trefoil to stonework above. Plain-chamfered triangular-headed stone doorway
to tower stair turret. Quarry-tile floor with patterned border, to length
of centre of nave. Benefactors boards to tower base. Monuments: memorial
on south wall of nave at east end to Jane Akers, d.1804; oval inscription
panel on rectangular black marble ground, with white marble cornice, and
obelisk bearing relief of angel carrying child. Signed H. Rouw. Chest-
tomb to south end of south transept; chest panelled with pointed trefoil-
headed arches, half recessed under broad rounded arch with split cusping,
squared spandrels with shields, and one upright of a panelled outer
architrave with demi-figure to base. Tablet on south wall of chancel to
Richard Warde, d. 1781(?); white marble inscription panel with consoled
plinth,rounded head, ogee shoulders and raised shield towards top, set on
round-headed grey marble back plate with festooned urn above inscription
panel, and palm fronds to shaped base plate. Monument on north wall of
chancel to Ambrose Warde, d.1637; probably erected after 1656. Grey and
white marble and alabaster. Full figures of kneeling man and wife,
outwardly inclined, with slanted shield behind each, and another above them
to centre, all set within festooned round-headed recess flanked by corinthian.
columns. Moulded frieze with raised central panel and cherub's heads.
Moulded cornice with obelisk finials, and segmental pediment surmounted by
plinth bearing achievements. Children in bold relief to panel below parents,
with consoled plinth and inscription panels below them. Cartouche to east
pier of north transept, to John Ousnam, d. 1703; draped, surmounted by
achievements, and with two cherubs' heads and skull to base. Tablet on
north wall of nave to Robert Kenward (d.1720) and Martha (d. 1761); erected
1762. Eared white marble tablet with black consoles, shaped brown marble
base plate, and moulded cornice with brown obelisk bearing achievements.
Tablet on north wall of nave to William Aretas Akers, d. 1862; rectangular
marble panel, moulded consoles and cornice, and canted top plate with
coloured arm bearing standard. Tablet on north wall of nave to Aretas
Akers (d.1816), and members of family (d. 1842 ).proud tapering side-pieces,
draped urn above, small acanthus consoles, and shaped base plate with
coloured coat of arms and motto in an oval. South-west chancel window
engraved with memorial to Edmund Blunden. (J. Newman, Buildings of England
Series, West Kent and the Weald, 1980).
Listing NGR: TQ6985050068
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.