If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: 3 and 4, West Street
Date Listed: 28 August 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 175065
OS Grid Reference: TR0625524739
OS Grid Coordinates: 606255, 124739
Latitude/Longitude: 50.9851, 0.9373
Explore more of the area around New Romney, Kent at Explore Britain.
The entry for:-
TR 0624 1/39 WEST STREET
28-AUG-1951 Nos. 3 AND 4
Shall be replaced by:-
TR 0624 1/39 WEST STREET
28-AUG-1951 Nos. 3 and 4
Originally one property, currently divided into two. Early C14 single aisled open hall with original south end replaced by a two bay crosswing of c1400 (no 3), chimney inserted into former open hall in late C15 or early C16 and c1800 refenestration and ceiling over of former open hall. Mainly of stone rubble with some brick patching and weatherboarded upper floor to crosswing. Tiled roof, gabled to main range, hipped to crosswing and two brick chimneystacks. Now two storeys and attics, three windows. Early C19 12-pane sashes to no 3 and mainly mid C19 sash windows to no 4.
PLAN FORM: Early C14 single aisled open hall of two bays with further northern bay with a heated chamber above and undercroft below (no 4) and original south end replaced by a two bay crosswing of c1400 with unheated upper chamber aligned east to west (no 3).
EXTERIOR: East or entrance front is of stone rubble with bands of knapped flint except for the projecting first floor crosswing to the south which is timberframed and clad in weatherboarding supported on a wooden bracket. The southern bay and ground floor of the northern bay have 12-pane sashes. The upper northern bay has a C19 casement and the central bay originally contained a tall hall window which retains the original side jambs and has later divided between two storeys with C18 brickwork. This has a C19 casement to the first floor and sash to the ground floor. On the line of the cross passage, between the southern and central window bays is an early C14 two-centred arched doorcase with C19 plank door. A further doorcase with a brick surround was added c1800 between the central and northern window bays. The north and south ends of the building are concealed by later buildings. The west or rear elevation has a catslide roof over the aisle and is of painted stone rubble with some brickwork but the first floor of the crosswing to no 3 is rendered. C19 hipped dormer and C20 windows and door to no 4. The late C20 conservatory to no 3 not of special interest.
INTERIOR: Ground floor central room has early C14 moulded wooden dais beam, a late C15 or early C16 inserted stone fireplace with carved wooden bressumer with carved leaf spandrels and gabled salt niche, c1800 ceiling beams and late C18 six-panelled door. The northern ground floor room has the early C14 north wall with stone supports for the fireplace in the chamber above and a square niche, possibly for a lantern. The ceiling beams are of c1800 but a mediaeval floor joist remains on the line of the arcade. The western arcade retains an early C14 square aisle post with long curved arcade brace rising within the former open hall and shorter curved brace rising within the former northern chamber and early C17 infill framing to the northern bay. The early C14 aisle rafters survive. A further aisle post may be concealed behind later partitions. The northern first floor room (the original chamber) has an early C14 stone fireplace with wooden bressumer in the north wall and to the east a large early C14 ogee-headed niche with the rebate for a door. As there is no internal evidence for an original staircase or doorway to the upper floor there was probably an external staircase either to north or west. The central first floor room retains the splayed internal jamb of the hall window and the remains of the hall truss. The attic floor retains an early C14 sans-purlin roof with rafters intact (including smoke-blackened rafters) but the collars were removed after 1973 to provide greater headroom. The upper floor of the southern crosswing is timberframed retaining a cambered tiebeam with arch braces and a freestanding crownpost with a shaft of octagonal cross section with roll-moulded cap and four way head braces and a number of original rafters.
HISTORY: An early C14 domestic building of high social status which may have been a merchant's house in the Cinque Port of New Romney. It postdates the 1297 inundation of New Romney when the River Rother was diverted to Rye and the sea gradually receded.
SOURCES: Pevsner/John Newman BOE "West Kent and the Weald" 1969 revised 1980. p435.E
W Parkin "Archaeologia Cantiana Vol LXXXVIII" 1973.
David Martin and Barbara Martin "An Archaeological Interpretative Survey of 3-4 West Street, New Romney" August 2004.
STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE: A substantially intact and rare example of a small early C14 aisled hall of high social status with a very early intact dais beam, very rare original chamber fireplace, late C14 crosswing and good quality late C15 or early C16 inserted wood and stone fireplace amongst other features of interest.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.