If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Enbrook House
Date Listed: 11 March 1975
English Heritage Building ID: 175368
OS Grid Reference: TR2057935458
OS Grid Coordinates: 620579, 135458
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0760, 1.1475
Explore more of the area around Sandgate, Kent at Explore Britain.
In the entry for the following building:-
TR 2035 SE HIGH STREET, Sandgate
7/174 Enbrook House
the description shall be amended to read:-
Large house, later a Star and Garter Home and later a Police Training College. Surviving east wing
and principal front of a house designed 1853-5 by S S Teulon for the Hon J D Bligh in Gothic
style, one of Teulon's most important secular commissions. In 1920 the estate was sold for a Star
and Garter Convalescent Home for wounded soldiers from the First World War and Sir Edwin
Cooper built on a symmetrical building in Cape Colonial style, between 1924 and 1928, re-using
some of the stone from Teulon's building. Teulon east front of squared and coursed ragstone with
Caen freestone dressings. Tiled roof with alternate 3 bands of plain and 3 bands of fishscale tiles.
One stone chimneystack, the remainder were added by Cooper. Irregular: building varying
between one and three storeys. To the south is the end external stack, capped by Cooper, and with
the original shield replaced by a biblical text c1924. To the right is a huge main staircase oriel
window with lancets and circular lights above. Cooper added a further casement window above
in order to insert a lift shaft. The principal feature is the porte-cochere to the north. This has an
arched doorcase with quatrefoils in the spandrels and oriel window to east. Cooper added a further
storey and altered the windows to north and south. Further north is a section of three bays with
mullioned and transomed windows, then a projecting section with gable, external chimneystack,
4-light mullioned and transomed window facing south and further window to east. The range
terminates in a one storey section with 3-light mullioned window. West wall of north part retains
original windows. Interior of Teulon wing retains a service staircase with chamfered newel posts
but balusters missing. Some encaustic tiles remain near window of main staircase. Window seat to
oriel over porte-cochere is probably by Cooper. The Cooper additions are built over the site of
the rest of Teulon's building and comprise ranges around two courtyards. Rendered with hipped
tiled roofs and brick chimneystacks. Sash windows throughout. Central part of south front of 2
storeys and attics; 7 windows. Hipped dormers to attics, sash windows to first floor and 5 round-
headed arches with keystones to ground floor. Corner blocks are of 3 storeys; 3 windows.
Projecting on each side to south are wings of 2 storeys and attics with sloping roofs to internal
courtyard with 3 bay loggias with round-headed arches and impost blocks. West front is mainly
of3 storeys. The centre has a brick-lined cornice and a stone loggia with 3 arches on the ground
floor 'quarried' from the remains of the Teulon house. North section also has ground floor of
reused stone. North wing of2 storeys abuts on to Teulon range. Interior plain but retains central
corridor with barrel-vaulted ceiling.
[See "The Builder" September 16th 1854; "The Builder" 13 January 1928; BOE North East and
East Kent p444.]
5281 HIGH STREET
TR 2035 SE 7/174
Now a Police Training College. The East wing was built by Teulon 1851-54. Built
of ashlar. Irregular shape. 2 to 3 storeys. Tiled roof with some fishscale
tiles and some plain. Outside chimney stack. Very large stone oriel window
to the left through 1st and 2nd floors. Massive stone porte-cochere with buttresses.
Arched door with quatrefoils in the spandrels and 2 Mediaeval corbels. Mullioned
and transomed windows. Short L-shaped wing to right with outside chimneystack.
2 storey extensions of 1924.
Listing NGR: TR2057935458
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.