If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Port Lympne House, Stable Block, Forecourt Walls to East, and Loggia, Patio, Terrace and Shell Fount
Date Listed: 29 December 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 175584
OS Grid Reference: TR1021934985
OS Grid Coordinates: 610219, 134985
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0757, 0.9996
Explore more of the area around Lympne, Kent at Explore Britain.
TR 13 NW & SW LYMPNE ALDINGTON ROAD
3 & 6/8 Port Lympne, House,
Forecourt walls to
29.12.66 east, and Loggia,
Patio, Terrace and
Shell Fountain to
House, stable block and formal garden. House built by about 1912 by Sir
Herbert Baker in a Cape Dutch style, for Sir Philip Sassoon. Additions,
including doors, east forecourt, and probably south loggias, terrace and
hell fountain ,by Philip Tilden during early 1920s. Interior frieze by
Glyn Philpot before c. 1920. Further decoration by Tilden. Tent room by
Rex Whistler 1933-4. Restored from 1973 by J. Aspinall. Buildings and
loggias red brick with plain tile roofs. Terrace and fountain ashlared
stone. H-plan house, with double-pile central range lying east-west.
Entrance front to east with single-storey loggia running east from each
end before curving away from forecourt; solid walls to, and colonnades
away from forecourt. Forecourt walls continue east from curve in loggias.
North loggia connects with stable block to north side of forecourt. South
loggia also frames east side of south terrace. Further, matching, loggia
curving to enclose west side of south terrace. Land drops to south of
terrace, permitting loggia basements which are linked by retaining wall of
terrace, with shell fountain below. East elevation (entrance front):
2 storeys on flush stone plinth. Rusticated quoins suggested by recessed
brick bands. Shaped brick-coped gable ends to north and south. Narrow
central bay breaks forwards slightly, rising above eaves to form gable with
small central rubbed brick niche, flanking inverted brick scrolls and
triangular pediment. Two slightly projecting brick stacks, each evenly
spaced between central bay and gable ends, with stone shoulders panelled
flues and moulded cornices. Shallow round-headed recess to base of each
stack. Regular 3-window front of one 4-light wooden casement between each
stack and central bay, and one wooden cross-window with moulded brick float-
ing cornice to central bay. 6 wooden cross-windows to groundfloor ; 2
below each first-floor casement and one within panel to base of each stack.
Central rectangular doorway with bolection-moulded stone architrave,
surmounted by stone trophy by Tilden. Studded bronze double doors by Tilden.
Doorways and windows to loggia walls. Forecourt walls: brick-coped, with
14 stone terms, brought from Stowe, at intervals against brick pilasters.
Stable block: principal section 2 storeys with hipped roof, central cupola
with bell and clock, and 3 hipped eaves dormers. South elevation: shaped
gables to south ends of north-south wings, with intertwined initials PS
towards top of each. Brick ridge stack to each end of central section.
Regular 5-window front of one cross-window to each gable end with moulded
triangular brick pediment, and two 4-light and central 2-light wooden
casements to central section. Moulded brick floating cornices to ground-
floor windows. Central rectangular bolection-moulded stone doorway with
festooned swan-neck stone pediment. Glass double doors with filigree iron-
work designed by Tilden, and older lunette. Patio of patterned tiles between
wings in front of central section, with 3 oval steps down to terrace.
Terrace: south wall capped with open-work stone frieze of variously
combined initials PS. Flights of stone steps lead down to flank oval
fountain pool running back into shell-shaped ashlared recess under terrace.
Concave flight of stone steps descends from pool to lawn. West elevation:
Similar to east elevation but without central gable and break, and with
3-bay loggia. Interior: only partly inspected. Patterned black-and-
white marble floor to passage between east and west doors on ground floor.
Staircase flanked by blue marble columns to ground floor and pink marble
columns to first floor. Iron balustrade to stairs copied from Caroline
Park, Scotland. Moorish patio by Tilden leading off staircase to north.
Egyptian frieze by Philpot to south-west room of west wing, formerly in
south-west room of central section. Tent room by Whistler to north-east
side of passage, said to be one of the finest examples of his work.
Octagonal library behind north-east loggia.
Grounds and fittings inspired by Roman associations of site. Venue for
Peace Conferences 1920-21. See also items 3 & 6/9 , 6/10 , 3/6 and 7.
(P. Tilden, True Remembrances: The Memoirs of an Architect, 1954. Country
Life Vol. LIII. 1923; LXXI, 1932; LXXII,1932; LXXIII, 1933; LXXIX,1936
and XCVI, 1944.)
Listing NGR: TR1061035269
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.