Church of St Nicholas, Newington
Description: Church of St Nicholas
Date Listed: 29 December 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 175626
OS Grid Reference: TR1826437369
OS Grid Coordinates: 618264, 137369
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0941, 1.1157
Location: Newington Road, Newington, Kent CT18 8AU
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Explore more of the area around Newington, Kent at Explore Britain.
TR 13 NE NEWINGTON THE STREET
4/49 Church of St.
Parish church. Late C11 or C12 and C13, with late C18 or early C19
alterations. Uncoursed stone rubble with ashlared dressings. North porch
stone with red brick cornice to sides, buff brick with ashlared stone
dressings to front. Plain tile roofs. Shingled bell turret with leaded
roof. Nave, incorporating west bell turret. Chancel with north chapel.
North aisle, narrower than chapel incorporating vestry to west. North
porch. Nave: late C11 or C12. Round-headed doorway to west gable end, with
small voussoirs and no imposts. Lower part of west section of south wall
thickened. 4 south windows; one trefoil-headed light above east end of
thickened section, one segmental-headed window of 3 cinquefoil-headed
lights with hoodmould, one square-headed window of 2 cinquefoil-headed
lights with hoodmould and one C19 or C20 light. Blocked round-headed south
doorway. Bell turret: late C18 or early C19 rectangular turret rising from
west end of nave, with louvred pointed-arched belfry light to each face and
leaded ogee spirelet with weathervane. Chancel: C13. Two restored
trefoil-headed lights to south, 2 rendered east lancets. North chapel:
C13. Gabled, with 2 north buttresses. C14 three-light east window with
cusped intersecting tracery. 2 small north lancets. Blocked lancet to
west gable. North aisle: C13 or C14. Vestry C19. Lean-to. Wall
thickened towards west end. Small round-headed lancet to each side of porch.
Vestry window of two chamfered round-headed lights with grilles. Porch:
late C18 or early C19. Bargeboards. Narrow lightly-fluted stone plat
band across gable. Pointed-arched brick outer doorway with double doors
panelled at base, half-glazed above. Stone inner doorway with chamfered
pointed arch and double doors each with 3 fielded panels. Interior:
Structure: 3-bay nave arcade of unchamfered pointed arches springing from
chamfered imposts. Lower, narrower restored arch to east end of arcade,
probably associated with rood-loft stairs. Round-headed chancel arch with
chamfered imposts. Arch between chancel and north chapel similar to nave
arcade. Roof: nave roof 1958 in 7 cants. Chancel roof ribbed and panelled
in 6 cants. Chapel roof plastered in 5 uneven cants. Fittings:
hagioscope between chapel and chancel, trefoil-headed to chapel side, and
with rectangular aumbry beside it to chancel. Hexagonal pulpit with base
of linenfold panelling and and crocketted upper panels possibly re-used
from C15 screen. Circular font on five stone shafts with ring-moulded bases,
outer 4 shafts of scallop-shell plan. Monuments: On south wall of nave
(probably removed from chancel floor):- half brass of a woman, circa 1480?;
brass to Richard Ryege, d.1522, and 3 wives. On south wall of chancel;
brass to priest John Clerk, d.1501, and brass to Thomas Chylton, d.1501,
with wife and 3 children. Brass on chapel floor to Henry Brockman, d.1630;
armoured man with wife, 7 children, shields and border. Plain brass on
north wall of chapel to Helen Strout and children, all d.1628. Black and
white marble tablet on south wall of chancel to James Brockman, d.1767, by
J.F. Moore. Fluted side pilasters with classical enrichment; concave-
shouldered frieze surmounted by sarcophagus and boat. Stone tablet on west wall
of chapel to Christophar Petty, d.1668, with coat of arms. Marble tablet
on south wall of chapel, to W. Brockman, d.1741; rectangular, with moulded
edges and moulded cornice surmounted by arms and achievements. Latin
inscription. Plain rectangular tablet below giving English translation.
(J. Newman, B.O.E. Series, North East and East Kent, 1983).
Listing NGR: TR1830137501
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.