If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Faversham Abbey Minor Barn
Date Listed: 3 August 1972
English Heritage Building ID: 175816
OS Grid Reference: TR0212761732
OS Grid Coordinates: 602127, 161732
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3188, 0.8993
There is also a scheduled monument, The Site of St Saviour's Abbey, Including the Remains of an Iron Age Farmstead and Faversham Roman Villa, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Faversham, Kent at Explore Britain.
FAVERSHAM ABBEY FIELDS
8/191 Minor barn on south side
of yard to south south east
of Abbey Farmhouse
the entry shall be amended to read:
TR 0261 FAVERSHAM ABBEY FIELDS
8/191 Faversham Abbey Minor barn
Monastic barn. Circa 1350. Originally part of the royal abbey
at Faversham. Now of 5 bays, a map of 1774 shows that it
originally continued to the end of the yard but was cut off at
the west end subsequently. Aisled timber barn, clad in
weatherboarding on flint and brick plinth with tiled
roof,hipped to east and gabled to west. At time of survey part
of the tiles at the west end had been stripped by vandals.
Central C18 hipped cart entrance. All passing braces are
present and aisle posts have arch braces and rest on shored
plinths. An unusual feature is that 3 posts are not squared at
their bases but present untrimmed trunks, with untrimmed forks
supporting the posts on two legs. West end has terminal
outshot and shored axial post. Rafters suggest that east end
also once had a cantilevered half bay and outshot. Roof has 5
chamfered crownposts, 3 having 4 headbraces and 2 having 2.
Complete set of original rafters. Thought to be one of only
two surviving collar purlin and crownpost roof barns of the
middle period in Kent by S E Rigold. [ See "Some Major
Kentish Timber Barns" S E Rigold in Arch. Cant. LXXXI (1966).]
TR 0261 8/191 Minor barn on south side of
yard to south south east of
Barn. Probably early to mid-C15 with minor later alterations. Weatherboarded
timber frame on stone rubble plinth. Large plain tile roof, the right
hand (north) end hipped, the left hand end is now gabled.
Plan: 5-bay aisled barn originally with aisles at both ends but the left
east end aisle has been removed. The narrow centre bay has a cart entrance
at the front.
Exterior: Large plain tile hipped roof is carried down over the aisles
to low walls, clad in weatherboarding except at the left (east) end which
is gabled. The north front has a cart entrance to the left of centre with
boarded double doors and a circa C17 hipped canopy on curved braces.
Interior: Fine crown-post roof of large scantling has tall chamfered and
stopped crown-posts with curved braces; the crown-posts on either side
of the centre bay and at the ends have braces at the top on all four sides
to the purlin and collar but the crown-posts between have only longitudinal
braces. Arch braces from the arcade posts to the tie-beams and arcade
plates. Curved passing shores halved and lapped to the aisle ties. The
arcade posts have jowled heads and the post between bays 1 and 2 at the
front (north east) has a massive forked branch downward curving into the
aisle. The common rafters appear to be complete and there is no ridgepiece,
but the gable over the cart entrance has a later common rafter roof with
a ridge board.
Note: Abbey Farm probably belonged to the Benedictine Abbey of Faversham
founded in 1147.
Source: Traditional Kent Buildings (1988), No. 6, p. p. 16-27.
Barn along South side
of Yard to South east
of Abbey Farmhouse
TR 0261 8/191
Late C15. Aisled barn. 5 bays and 1 end bay. In a complete state.
Crown post roof. Externally, very low, very steeply pitched modern
tiled roof; low walls with weather-boarded cladding. AM.
Listing NGR: TR0212761732
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.