British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Sharsted Court, Doddington

Description: Sharsted Court

Grade: I
Date Listed: 24 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 176217

OS Grid Reference: TQ9511958174
OS Grid Coordinates: 595119, 158174
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2893, 0.7969

Location: Sharsted Hill, Doddington, Kent ME9 0JU

Locality: Doddington
Local Authority: Swale Borough Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: ME9 0JU

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Doddington, Kent at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TQ 95 NE DODDINGTON
Sharsted Court

5/7 Sharsted Court
24.1.67
GV I

House. C14 to C17, remodelled 1711 (dated on rainwater heads) and
extended 1880's and c.1911. Red brick and plain tiled roofs, with
timber framed wings to rear clad with red brick and flint and flint
rubble plastered gable also to rear. The work of 1711 encased and
maintained the plan of a C14 hall house with 2 cross-wings, the rear
gable of the service wing survives, extended to enclose staircase.
Chalk and flint walls survive to interior of hall. To the rear of
this were added 2 timber framed ranges late C14, extended and remodelled
C16 - early C20 to form a double courtyard, now opened by demolition of
enclosing (south-east) C20 range. Entrance front (north-west):two storeys
and attic on plinth with plat band, raised in centre, projecting wings to
left and right with wide modillion eaves cornices to hipped roofs, and
dormer in each wing with heavy segmental pediment. The left wing with
comtemporary 1 bay extension and separately hipped, with stack at end
left, and 2 projecting stacks at end right. Recessed centre rising to
battlements with central wooden belfry with ogee cupola. Regular
fenestration of 7 glazing bar sashes on first floor, 3 to left, 2 to
right and 2 centre with central blocked window space, and 3 glazing bar
sashes to left on ground floor, 2 cross-windows to right, and 2 double
height glazing bar sashes to centre. All windows with exposed frames,
gauged heads and aprons. Central double three-quarter glazed doors in
projecting and battlemented porch, with Corinthian pilasters, pulvinated
and enriched frieze, and segmental pediment containing crest of winged
demi-bull rampant. To right, early C20 ballroom, 1 storey, 2 glazing
bar sashes, double span hipped roof. Left return front: C18 wing extends
for 4 window bays (glazing bar sashes) and ends in banqueting room added
c.1911 with 2 hipped dormers. Rear: 3 projecting ranges, to left C16
remodelled in C19, timber clad brick and flint; to centre C17 timber
framed range with red brick infill, 2 storeys, plinth,with plat band and
3 wood casements on each floor;to right, the rear of the C20 banqueting
hall. To left on rear wall of main range is flint and rubble plastered
gable, 2 storeys and garret, with kneelered parapet and irregular fenestration
of C19 mullioned windows. Interior: a complex house. Crown post roofs
survive in the two C14 rear wings, the crown posts braced to arched tie beams.
The house was divided in 1374 to allow for a widow's dower house, including
a range at "the west end of the south side of the Great Chamber" and "a new
Chamber at the East side with cellars built under the same" (See E. Selby
Teynham Manor and Hundred - reprinted 1982). This corresponds exactly to
the 2 timber framed ranges (the easterly with cellar) either side of the
surviving gable of the "Great Chamber". The western range is extended by a
range countinuously jettied towards the courtyard, but visible only inside
the building. Two storey hall at present undecorated, leading from it the
Grand Staircase of 1711, spiral balusters around an open well, with
renewed moulded handrail and acorn newel heads, and original bolection
moulded panelling. Back stairs with turned balusters, dog leg with half
landing plan, headed by doorway with keyed arch on imposts.

Newel staircase reversing direction of twist at half flight leads to
attic. Heavy screen of c.1600 to cellar stairs with turned baluster
ornament. C17 panelling survives in some upstairs rooms and re-used in
C20 ballroom. Panelling of c.1711, designed in some cases for specific
paintings and tapestries (now sold) survives in most state rooms and
main bedrooms, as do C18 and early C19 fireplaces. The hall and library
retain 1711 beamed and plastered ceilings; the drawing room and banquet
room with C20 plastered ceiling, the ballroom with wooden ceiling of
geometric panels. The work of 1711 was carried out for Colonel William
Delaune, M.P. (See B.0.E. Kent II 1983. 403; C. Hussey, Country Life,
March 3 and March 10, 1950; E. Selby, Teynham Manor and Hundred, reprint
1982).


Listing NGR: TQ9511958174

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.