If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.



Church of St Peter and St Paul, Boughton under Blean

Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Grade: I
Date Listed: 24 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 176679

OS Grid Reference: TR0478458554
OS Grid Coordinates: 604784, 158554
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2893, 0.9355

Location: Brenley Lane, Boughton-under-Blean, Kent ME13 9NH

Locality: Boughton under Blean
Local Authority: Swale Borough Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: ME13 9NH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Boughton under Blean, Kent at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TR 05 NW BOUGHTON SOUTH STREET
(South side)


Church of St. Peter
4/75 and St. Paul
24.1.67
I
GV


Parish Church. C13 with C14 chapel, C15 aisles and tower. Restored 1871
by St. Aubyn (£2000). Flint and rubble with plain tiled roofs. Chancel
with north and south chapels, south transept, nave with aisles, western tower
and north porch. Three stage western tower with plinth, string courses,
cornice and battlements, 3 times offset diagonal buttresses and south east
stair turret, square rising to obtagonal upper stages. Triple hollow moulded
west doorway with drip mould, and 3 light Perpendicular traceried west window.
South aisle and south transept with C15 Perpendicular fenestration, with
large 5 light south window, and single C13 lancet in east walls of transept,
with 2 large offset diagonal buttresses. South chapel with paired ogee-headed
cusped lights. Chancel with lancet windows, and triple lancet east window.
North chapel with lancet windows. North aisle with plinth, string course
and parapet, small projecting rood vice, Perpendicular tracery, and north
porch, with hollowed chamfered north doorway, attached shafts and moulded
surround with drip mould. Interior: hollow chamfered tower arch and surround
with octagonal moulded responds. The tower has lower floor level than the nave,
cut into the nave arcades and exposes the original quoins of the nave west
wall. Nave arcade of 3½ bays to north and 2½ bays to south, with solid west
bay. Octagonal piers (but 1 round pier in north arcade) with double chamfered
arches. Double hollow chamfered C14 arch on corbels to south transept. Roof
of 5 crown posts, the east and west posts raised. South and north aisles with
lean-to roofs, South transept with 1 chamfered arch to south aisle, double
hollow chamfered arch to south chapel. Crown post roof on knee braces. Some
partial survival of a roll moulded string course. Chancel arch with drip and
keeled roll mould on carved head corbels. Chancel with 2 bay arcade to south
chapel, with double chamfered arches on octagonal pier and responds. Triple
lancet east window with slender attached shafts and heavy moulded string
course. The lancet on south wall brought down to ground level to incorporate
sedilia. Two bay double chamfered arcade to north chapel with heavily moulded
and undercut pier. Trussed roof. North chapel with heavy string course,
double chamfered arch to north aisle and roof of 2 crown posts. Fittings: C15
screen from north aisle to north chapel, with rood stair. Three bays with
cusped tracery. Five bay C16 chancel screen with panelled cusped base. Four
traceried lights to each bay with crenellated and sloping transoms, with
attached shafts. Renewed top beam. The carving and enrichment has
Renaissance details. Three bay screen to south chapel with moulded mullions,
cusped tracery and four centred arched heads. Two tier sedilia in chancel with
cusped ogee headed piscina, with attached shafts (for missing canopy?).
Aumbreys to left and right on east wall. South chapel with sedile and reset
brattished cornice, and trefoil-headed piscina. C14 cusped ogee wall niche
with attached colonnettes running into the string course. Holy water stoups
in south aisle, and with four centred arched head, incised spandrels and
moulded combo in north aisle. Monuments: Chancel: sedilia backed with
incised heraldic achievements. South chapel: John Petit, d.1630. Black wall
plaque with white surround, moulded head and scrolled achievement on pilasters
with obelisk finials, the panel bears small relief figures of man and wife
opposite each other with a prayer desk. Winged cherub base. George Farewell,
d.1741. Marble plaque wrapped around central pier of chancel arcade. Moulded
base and top with shield over. South aisle: Anne Alleyn, d.1713. Black wall
plaque with bolection moulded surround, cornice and scrolled achievement.
North chapel: Thomas Hawkins, d.1617. Epiphanius Evesham, signed. Knight
and lady recumbent on sarcophagus, with rear screen and inscription part in
Latin (for a Catholic family) with carved symbols of death, cherubs heads,
arms and trophies, scrolled semi-pediment on pilasters. Two alabaster panels
on the side of the tomb ,chest, showing 7 sons and 6 daughters of varying ages,
grieving and expressing their emotion, surrounded by their favourite objects
and pets (see also similar panels at Lynsted). John Hawkins, white wall
plaque set up by grandson Thomas Hawkins in 1749 to commemorate the former's
preservation of the family fortunes through the Interregnum. Dame Mary
Knatchbull, d.1850. C13 style coffin slab, incised with cross and inscription,
with railed enclosure (incorporating earlier monuments). Tower: Henry Pettit,
d.1807; black wall plaque with white marble surround and pilasters with incised
flowers in vases. 'Scrolled apron. Sir John Routh. Late C17 white marble wall
plaque. Egg and tongue and bolection moulded surround with heavy bracketed
base and scrolled and garlanded sides. Ionic attached columns, cornice and
frieze, scrolled pediment and achievement. Brasses South transept: John Bett,
d.1508. 15½" figures of John and Joan, poorly engraved, with English
inscription. Elizabeth Driland, d.1591. 19½" well engraved figures of man
and wife with 4 mourning daughters and (missing) sons, and partially lost coats
of arms. Latin inscriptions to John Collins (d.1450) and Sir? Petit of
Colkins, d.1596. North chapel: Thomas Hawkins, d.1587, aged 101. Armoured
figure 34" long, with fulsome inscription. Small wall plaque nearby to Elionor
Sea, his wife, d.1553. (See B.O.E. Kent, II, 1983, 150-151)


Listing NGR: TR0592857475

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |