If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of All Saints, Graveney with Goodnestone

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 24 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 176719

OS Grid Reference: TR0526962682
OS Grid Coordinates: 605269, 162682
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3262, 0.9449

Location: Seasalter Road, Graveney, Kent ME13 9DU

Locality: Graveney with Goodnestone
Local Authority: Swale Borough Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: ME13 9DU

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Graveney with Goodnestone, Kent at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

TR 06 SE GRAVENEY SEASALTER ROAD
(West side)


3/113 Church of All
Saints
24.1.67
I
Parish Church. C12 and C14 with some C15 fenestration. Little restored,
but downpipes dated 1870. Coursed rubble and flint with plain tiled roof.
Chancel, nave with aisles, north-western tower and south porch. Tower with
string course and battlements, lancets in four stages and quatrofoil at the
top. Circular north-eastern stair-turret. Roll moulded and hollow chamfered
west doorway. South aisle with offset diagonal buttresses and parapet. C14
Decorated tracery, of cusped paired lights with quatrefoils over, and 3
light aisle east window withcusped and foiled tracery and segmental hood.
South porch extended in brick and pebbledashed, with moulded and chamfered
south doorway. Chancel with cusped C14 lancets to south, restored C13
lancets to north, and 3 light C15 Perpendicular east window within the larger
blocked jambs and drip mould of C14 east window. North aisle with 5
buttresses. Perpendicular 2 light windows, and simple chamfered north door-
way. Interior: C14 nave arcades; 3 bays to the north with the tower as end
bay, and 4 bays to south. Octagonal piers on seat-plinths with moulded
capitals, those to south richer; hollow chamfered and wave-moulded south
arcade, double chamfered north arcade. Roof of 5 crown posts, with moulded
collar beams and side purlins, and solid spandrels to raised tie beams.
Lean-to aisle roofs. Romanesque chancel arch on imposts, the piers cut away
and corbelled. Interior jambs and drip mould of C14 east window survive
around C15 insertion, the respond carried down to floor level. Braced truss
and tie beam roof-with embattled wall plate. Fittings: chancel; cinquefoil
headedpiscina, double and single sedilia, the larger to east with colonnettes
with moulded octagonal bases and capitals, the smaller with cinquefoiled head.
Four centred arch and embattled label over both. Two C15 benches with poppy-
heads, one with 6 pierced and cusped panels, the other with 3 pierced panels.
Screen: early C16, 5 bays with attached shafts with Tudor flower motif on
base with traceried panels and shields. Embattled transom running into tracery
pattern, Central frieze with decorative motifs showing Renaissance influence.
C19 embattled top beam. Nave: pulpit, late C17 on C19 base, taken from
Faversham parish church. Pentagonal with enriched bolection moulded panels with
festoons over and ribboned festoons along arrises of each panel. Moulded
cornice, and 3 semi-circular steps to rear. Box pews, extended into south
aisle and incorporating late medieval benches with poppy heads and hollow
chamfered end moulding. South aisle: cusped piscina with ogee head and
animal head finial. Tomb recess with segmental arch, embattled cornice and
attached shafts, with tomb chest and brass, 24" of Richard de Feversham, d.1381,
C15 font, hollow octagonal bowl with decorated panels. C13 parish chest,
wooden, with incised trefoil-headed arcade, and cross-hatched decorated iron
flanges on lid. North aisle: cusped ogee headed piscina; recess cut out of
north-east corner. Some medieval floor tiles. Brasses: mutilated examples
in south aisle. Joan de Feverham and son, d.1360, 14" half figures. Judge
John Martyn, d.1436. 56" figures of Justice of Common Pleas and his wife
under double canopy. He holds an inscribed heart, she has a lap dog at her
feet. Glass: C14 fragments in north aisle east window, C15 fragments in
chancel south-west window (See B.O.E. Kent II 1983 337-8).


Listing NGR: TR0519062470

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.