Church of St Lawrence, Leaveland
Description: Church of St Lawrence
Date Listed: 24 January 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 176891
OS Grid Reference: TR0048854850
OS Grid Coordinates: 600488, 154850
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2576, 0.8719
Location: Leaveland, Kent ME13 0NP
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
TR 05 SW SHELDWICH LEAVELAND
3/93 Church of St Lawrence
Parish church. C13, consecrated 1222. Restored C18, and 1882 and vestry
added. Flint, with red and blue brick on north nave aisle. Plain tiled
roof. Chancel, nave and north aisle, north-west vestry, west tower and
south porch. West end rebuilt C19 with south porch and tiled west tower
belfry. Chancel with lancets to south,north and east, and 2 light C14
windows on south. North aisle with C15 fenestration, reset in C18 brick
each wall. Interior: 2 bay north arcade, chamfered on moulded abaci and
large square pier. Wide north aisle. Roof in nave of 3 crown posts, with
timbered gable to chancel, with roof of 3 small crown posts. Fittings:
piscina in chancel with shelf, hollow chamfered surround and moulded stops;
drip mould over. Smaller and identical piscina in north aisle. Monument:
Katherine Rooper, d.1606. Wall monument in chancel. Alabaster kneeling
woman at prayer desk, behind her her son Francis Herdson, with architectural
surround, ribboned side pieces on scrolled and floriated base, with coffered
cornice and achievement over. Glass: in eastern lancets, 1888 by Kempe.
(See B.O.E. Kent II 1983, 369; also Igglesden, 21, p.29).
Listing NGR: TR0162256679
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.