If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Farmbuildings Adjoining to North of North Frith Farmhouse Including Long Barn
Date Listed: 19 February 1990
English Heritage Building ID: 179441
OS Grid Reference: TQ6120050523
OS Grid Coordinates: 561200, 150523
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2311, 0.3075
Explore more of the area around Hadlow, Kent at Explore Britain.
HADLOW ASHES LANE
TQ 65 SW
3/5 Farmbuildings adjoining to
north of North Frith Farmhouse,
including Long Barn
Ranges of farmbuildings. Dated 1856, some bomb blast damage in 1944, part
converted to domestic accommodation circa 1980. Brick, mostly Flemish bond;
most is ochre-yellow in colour but red brick and burnt headers are used
decoratively; peg-tile roof, stable range replaced with conrete pantiles.
Plan: Large E-plan building facing south and containing a complex of various
farmbuildings. Long tall range across the back with 3 ranges projecting
forward. The back range contains a former threshing barn to right (east)
which has now been converted to domestic use. The left end faces north. It
is open at ground floor level with a feed store. A cottage with large
projecting gable-end stack projects northwards from the centre of this back
range. It has been converted to domestic use along with the former barn and
is now known as Long Barn. The projecting block was built as a forge. The
open-fronted section was used for carts and horses waiting for the blacksmith.
The central of the 3 front ranges is taller and wider; it was a milking
parlour and includes a row of lean-to pig sties along the right (east) side.
Each end are low ranges containing animal houses facing inside. The left one
was probably stables, the right one cow houses. A passageway runs through the
wings alongside the rear range. North Firth Farmhouse (q.v.) is at the front
end of the right (eastern) end.
Exterior: Original windows have segmental arches over and contain iron-framed
pivoted casements with glazing bars. Original sliding plank doors. All the
buildings have eaves cornices of cogged brick which are carried round the
gable-ends. The threshing barn has been considerably altered when converted
to Long Barn. The large central double doorway has been reduced and a series
of large segmental-headed windows punched through. Most of the rest has been
little altered since it was built. The open arcade to the rear of the rear
range is carried on cast-iron columns under a large oak lintel. Above are 2
windows each side of a loading hatch doorway. The front (south) gable end of
the milking parlour has a large central doorway with a winder overlight above
with segmental arched head. Each side are small doorways and there is an
extra one to right into the front end of the pig sties. The top section of
the low-pitch gabled roof is lifted slightly to provide ventilation. In the
apex there is a stone plaque inscribed EG 1856. Along both side walls is a
series of lunette windows. Those to left have their original slatted windows
and those on the right have sliding windows fitted to the inside of the wall.
The roof includes sections of glass tiles to provide more light. The low left
ranges contains stable doors and windows. The windows and doors on the outer
(west) side are C20 insertions. The right range originally contained an 8-bay
arcade of elliptical-headed arches with brick imposts; the arcade is now
blocked. An ornate wrought iron weather vane is set into the ridge of the
rear block roof. It contains the initials NF (North Frith) with the date 1856.
Interior: Has plain but sturdy carpentry. The roofs are king post trusses
and the milking parlour roof is of aisled construction.
These attractive farmbuildings form part of a good group with the oast (q.v.),
granary (q.v.) and North Frith Farmhouse (q.v.) which was built as a model
farm by the owners of North Frith House.
Listing NGR: TQ6242949383
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.