If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: The Pedlars Pack and La Cremailler Restaurant
Date Listed: 20 October 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 179523
OS Grid Reference: TQ6342849786
OS Grid Coordinates: 563428, 149786
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2239, 0.3390
Explore more of the area around Hadlow, Kent at Explore Britain.
HADLOW HIGH STREET (north side)
TQ 63 49
7/87 The Pedlars Pack and
La Cremailler Restaurant
20.10.54 (formerly listed as House ano Shop
on west corner of Church Street)
2 houses, one with a shop, the other with a restaurant, formerly a single
property. Some C16 or C17 fabric, major mid C18 rebuild with some C19 and C20
alterations. Front of painted Flemish bond brick, it is exposed on left end
(to Church Lane) and is red with decorative burnt headers, other parts are
timber-framed and variously plastered or clad with peg-tile; brick stacks and
chimneyshafts; peg-tile roof.
Plan and Development This is a large building with a long and complex
structural history. There are reports (see source) of C16 or C17 structural
fabric being discovered during building work but it is now hidden. The main
block is essentially the result of the mid C18 rebuild. The main house faces
north onto the Square. It has a 3-room plan. Axial stack between centre and
right rooms, direct entry into smaller right room and main stair in a block
projec-t=ing to rear of the centre room. Unheated left end room is a shop.
Rear block (former service block) projects at right angles to rear of the left
end along Church Lane. The 2-room plan block immediately behind is mid C18
and maybe older in parts. Behind that are C19 rooms with former stables at
Exterior: Regular 5-window front with 12-pane sashes on the first floor.
Ground floor level was altered in the c19. Left 2 bays are taken up with
plain C20 shop windows either side of a shop door. At the right end a mid C19
doorway,, part-glazed 4-panel door up a couple of stone steps, and timber
doorcase with moulded entablature and pediment. Projecting brick flat bands
at first floor and eaves level and plain parapet above. Roof is hipped both
ends. Lower rear blocks. The stair block is hipped and the rear block roof
hips down to the C19 service buildings. Here the windows are less regular.
They are a variety of sizes and dates. Inside edge of rear block includes
some horizontal-sliding sashes with glazing bars.
Interior: Largely the result of the mid C18 rebuild has been modernised more
than once since. In the centre room of the main block there is a large open
brick fireplace with plain oak lintel. It may be C17 in origin. Mid C18 main
stair; closed string, square newel posts, flat moulded handrail and turned
balusters. Some other mid C18 joinery including some 2-height panelling in
the rear block. The roof structure was not accessible. John Billett (see
source) describes various irregularities of plan and temporarily exposed
features which suggest the extensive survival of C16 or C17 fabric.
This is a large site in the centre of Hadlow and was occupied by wealthy
merchants through the C16, C17 and C18 according to John Billett's researches.
The earliest documentary reference dates from 1388. By 1570 it was known as
Frankfort House, maybe named after the ventures of the wealthy mercer William
Trice. In the late C17 it was occupied by another mercer John Wells. He sold
it in 1694 to yet another mercer Ruben Colgate in whose family it stayed most
of the C18. Billett suggests a possible connection with the Colgates of later
This is an important house in Hadlow and is one of a group of varied listed
buildings in the centre.
Source: John Billett, The Old Red House (n.d.) MS belonging to the owner of
The Pedlars Pack.
Listing NGR: TQ6342849786
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.