Church of St Martin, Aldington
Description: Church of St Martin
Date Listed: 10 August 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 181594
OS Grid Reference: TR0749936183
OS Grid Coordinates: 607499, 136183
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0874, 0.9615
Location: Church Lane, Aldington, Kent TN25 7EG
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Explore more of the area around Aldington, Kent at Explore Britain.
TR 03 NE ALDINGTON CHURCH LANE
4/9 Church of St.
Parish church. C11 (Saxo-Norman). Chancel extended C13, chapel and
aisles C13/14. Tower 1507-1557 (evidence of wills), battlements
1911. Restored 1876 (with later work) by Sir Arthur Blomfield.
Ragstone, squared and hammer-dressed to tower. Plain tiled roofs.
Chancel with south chapel, nave and south aisle with south porch and
western tower. Large western tower of 3 stages with string courses
and offset buttresses rising to full height of tower to battlements.
Octagonal north-eastern angle vice. Triple, 2 tier belfry openings,
single lights on 2nd stage, and deep set restored 3 light Perpendicular
style west window, flanked by canopied niches, with cusped quatrefoil
panels and ogee headed niche below, with four centred arched doorway
with label hood, waterstoup and flanking quatrefoil panels. Nave with
separately roofed south aisle with projecting vestry. C19 fenestration
and timbered south porch. North nave wall with buttresses &- exposed
jambs of round headed C11 windows, now blocked, as is north door;
Cl9 fenestration. Cl9 fenestration to chancel, with restored
perpendicular 5 light east window, with the jambs of C13 lancets.
South chapel, projecting, with lancets. Interior: fine, tall tower
arch, with continuous wave moulding and attached inner piers with
octagonal capitals. Four centred arched door to north to stair vice.
Late.C13 2 bay arcade to south aisle with round pier and octagonal
responds. Nave roof with scissor- braced rafters in 2 levels,
partly with tie-beams. South aisle with vestry at west end with blocked
lancet to aisle and with massive walls and re-used timber ceiling,
identified as base of C11 south-western tower. Lancet in gable to south
chapel, with double chamfered arch below on corbels. Tenoned purlin
roof. Rood passage door to south, and at gallery level to nave.
Restored double chamfered chancel arch on octagonal corbels with carved
heads. Exposed jambs of lancet east windows, with shafts and capitals,
and also exposed jambs of east end of C11 chancel, before C13
extension. C19 scissor-braced roof. Fittings: C14 priest's door
and 3 sedilia in chancel with cusped ogee heads, roses in cusped
spandrels with rose, oak leaf and heraldic enrichments and embattled
top. Iron twist turned altar rails with moulded top rail. Choir
stalls, inserted probably for use by Archbishop of Canterbury's
entourage while resident in his adjacent hunting lodge. C15, partly
restored, with poppy head bench ends, arcaded panels to front of
benches; south range incorporates open screen to south chapel, with 4
bays with ogee tracery, brattished top rail and four centred arched
doorway. Western range incorporates base of nave rood screen, north
range with simple boarded panelling. Misericords mainly with foliage
decoration, on south with foliage and castles. South chapel with C17
arcaded panelling with mannerist pilasters, with strapwork frieze
and enrichment, with a separate panel with lozenge and guilloche
decorations and inscribed AN 1617 , with yet a 3rd different
WK . RA . WF . C
section to west wall. All introduced late C19, and possibly from the
demolished Scott's Hall, Smeeth. Nave with 2 pulpits, with panelled
walls behind, C17 with strapwork, geometric panels, and foliate
enrichment, that to north of 2 tiers, probably made up from domestic
panels, and incorporating a wooden relief panel of a Pelican in her
piety, said to have come from Pattison's Farmhouse, Aldington. C12
square font bowl on 5 piers, with C17 wooden cover, with arcaded base
with detached Ionic colonettes with modillion cornice and finial with
ogee scrolled lantern with finial. Wrought iron gate and screen to
tower, dated 1891, removed from Olantigh Towers, Wye, and set up here
by Sir Reginald Blomfield. Monuments: brasses; small inscription in
south chapel to Margaret Blechynden, d.1596, John Weddcot, d.1475;
19 inch brasses of armoured knight and Lady. The reverse records
George Sibley of Boston (d.1474). John Blechynden, d1607; black and
white marble wall plaque, with scrolled and enriched base, simple
aedicule with Arms Cartouche over. Latin hexameter inscription.
Glass: fragments in chancel north window. The Reverend George
Blomfield (Rector from 1868) was brother-in-law of Sir Arthur
Blomfield (restored the church 1876) and father of Sir Reginald
Blomfield, who embellished the church and designed the lychgate. The
quality of medieval work is linked to the church's use as a chapel to
the adjacent hunting lodge of the Archbishops of Canterbury (see Court
Lodge), who also appointed Thomas Linacre Rector 1509 (founder of
Royal College of Surgeons) and Desiderius Erasmus, briefly in 1511.
(See Church Guide; see also B.O.C. Kent I 126-7).
Listing NGR: TR0751436350
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.