If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Stonyhurst College
Date Listed: 29 December 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 182903
OS Grid Reference: SD6904039065
OS Grid Coordinates: 369040, 439064
Latitude/Longitude: 53.8469, -2.4720
Explore more of the area around Aighton, Bailey and Chaigley, Lancashire at Explore Britain.
SD 63 NE AIGHTON, BAILEY & STONYHURST
8/16 Stonyhurst College
Public school, late C16th and later, sandstone ashlar.
Main (west) Front
The gatehouse and southern half of the facade were begun in 1592 by
Sir Richard Shireburn. The gatehouse is of 4 storeys with mullioned
and transomed windows and an entrance with moulded semi-circular arch.
Each storey is flanked by paired columns, each with a different classical
order. It is surmounted by an embattled parapet, and twin cupolas added
in 1712. To the south of the gatehouse the facade has mullioned windows,
with mullioned and transomed windows on the 1st floor. At the southern
end is the 'Blind Tower' now with 2 mullioned windows on both 1st and 2nd
floors and with a window of cusped intersecting tracery, c.1300, taken
from Bailey Hall Chapel (q.v.). The facade is balanced by a wing of
1843-56 with a north tower having a 1st floor oriel window,
The Main Court
The south wall has a canted bay window with angle shafts and a doorway
of c.1700 with large broken pediment on corbels. The hall range, on the
east side, has a 3-storey bay window at its southern end and, opposite
the gateway, a broad hood mould with angel stops, said to have come from
Whalley Abbey. The east range was extended and the court enclosed in
The Kitchen Court
On the north side is a 4-bay range having gables with copings and ball
finials, and mullioned windows with cyma-moulded hoods. In the west bay
is a wide carriage entrance with segmental head. The door, in the 3rd bay,
has '1699' incised on the lintel. At the north end of the east side of
the court is a range with C17th window details, reconstructed in the early
Begun in 1877 to designs by Dunn and Hansom in an English Renaissance style.
The 15-bay centre has projecting wings framing a courtyard. The central
5 bays have an arcade on the ground floor, with corner turrets and cupolas.
To the north are many ancillary buildings not included in the item.
At the south end of the west front, c.1800 and the only remaining one of
the buildings erected by the Jesuits immediately after their arrival.
3 storeys. The north wall has a tripartite sash with glazing bars on
each floor, the upper 2 being linked by a transom, forming a tall venetian
window. This motif is repeated in bays 2 and 7 of the 8-bay south facade,
whose central 2 bays project with a pediment.
The Old Refectory, on the 1st floor at the east side of the main court
has a minstrels' gallery constructed in 1857 from timber taken from
demolished parts of the house, with latin inscription and date
'MCCCCCXXIII'. The Bayley Room, previously the Chapel, at the south end
of the west front, has 2 blocked windows with tracery of late C16th date.
The boys' chapel, on the west side of the courtyard of the south front,
was completed in the 1890s and has elaborate carved woodwork and an open
Built in 1844. 2 storeys with cellars entered at the west end and with
an M-roof running east-west. South front of 7 bays with central doorway,
Cross windows on the ground floor, and 2-light mullioned windows on the
1st floor. The door has a moulded surround with 4-centred head and
Church of St. Peter
1832-5, by Scoles, with the altar at the north. Comprises an undivided
nave and chancel with clearstorey, east and west aisle with the north aisle
bay projecting as a transept, and a low cloister at the north end linking
the Church with Shirk. The 4 octagonal corner turrets have openwork tops
and crocketed domed caps. The south wall has 3 moulded doorways with
4-centred heads. The interior has arcades with clustered piers, 4-centred
arches and stencilled decoration, and a low-pitched painted timber roof.
Some of the glass, of various saints, is dated 1844, some is later C19th.
Set into the aisle walls are the stages of the Cross, cast in relief.
Listing NGR: SD6908339060
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.