If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Newbold Verdon Hall
Date Listed: 22 October 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 188547
OS Grid Reference: SK4421703817
OS Grid Coordinates: 444217, 303817
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6303, -1.3481
There is also a scheduled monument, Moated Site South of the Hall, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Newbold Verdon, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.
NEWBOLD VERDON MAIN STREET
SK 40 SW
5/36 Newbold Verdon Hall
Former country house, now farmhouse. c. 1700 with later C19 addition, and
minor C19 and C20 alterations. Built for Nathaniel Crew, 3rd Baron Crew of
Stene, Northants, Bishop of Durham from 1674, d. 1721. Red brick in English
bond with ashlar dressings, large hipped plain tiled roof with lead
dressings and flat top, 4 brick roof stacks with triple shafts and brick
cornice. Double pile symmetrical plan of 5 by 3 bays. 2 storeys plus raised
basement and attic, stone string courses to ground and first floors,
overhanging eaves with moulded wood cornice and lined soffit. All windows
have rubbed brick flat arches and projecting stone cills. The entrance
(east) and garden (west) fronts are arranged 1 : 3 : 1 the centre bays
projecting slightly; the side elevations are similarly arranged 1 : 1 : 1.
The entrance front has central early C20 double panelled doors with
rectangular overlight, approached up a flight of 8 stone steps, set in a
pedimented Gibbsian surround with small shield on the keystone. It is
flanked by pairs of glazing bar sashes, those either side of the doorway
have been lowered. The first floor central glazing bar sash is flanked by a
single blocked opening and a further matching sash window. The garden front
has a grassed ramp with curved stone coped brick side walls leading to the
central doorway, now filled with a glazing bar sash window with panel
beneath. The doorway has a stone moulded architrave and is flanked by Ionic
half columns supporting a pedimented entablature with pulvinated frieze.
It is flanked by pairs of glazing bar sashes. To first floor 3 glazing bar
sashes are flanked by single blocked openings. To the left of the central
projection is a narrow inserted C20 sash. The south side has a central
doorway with moulded stone surround and cornice, now blocked by a sash
window. Beneath is a semi circular headed doorway to the basement. To the
right a blocked opening and to the left a glazing bar sash. To the first
floor 2 blocked openings and a further sash. The north side is similar but
now partly obscured by the later extension. Interior. The central stone
paved entrance hall has a dais up three steps opposite to the entrance
which gives access to a lateral passage via 3 round headed arches. The room
to the right, a parlour, has full height fielded oak panelling, and a
cupboard with marble shelves has been inserted into the west wall. Adjacent
to this room, reached from the lateral passage, is the secondary staircase
with turned balusters. The principal staircase, reached from the south end
of the passage, has an open well with the upper landing supported by a pair
of Ionic columns. The oak staircase has a pulvinated string, richly carved
with wreathed bands, sturdy vasiform balusters, carved handrail and square
newels carved with laurel leaves. The plaster ceiling over has a coved
cornice richly moulded in the form of a frieze of garlands. A similar
cornice can be found in the first floor saloon above the entrance hall.
Most rooms retain their original oak panelled doors and architraves,
plaster cornices, and some contemporary bolection moulded fireplaces also
remain. The house stands just to the north of a moated site which
surrounded the earlier manor house. It is approached from the end of the
village Main Street through a long axial forecourt defined by three of
formerly four pavilions, one in each corner of the court.
Listing NGR: SK4421703817
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.