Description: Alliance House
Date Listed: 14 March 1975
English Heritage Building ID: 188580
OS Grid Reference: SK5887504321
OS Grid Coordinates: 458875, 304321
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6335, -1.1315
SK 5804 SE 3/214 (Alliance House)
1885-8. Architect E. Burgess. Former Liberal Club. Red brick and ashlar
dressings. Six window bays. Ground floor completely altered, plate
glass, polished granite and large fascia. Above bays divided by brick
pilasters supporting entablature over first and second floors, stone mullion/
transom windows in moulded architraves. First floor right recessed three-bay
arcaded balcony feature with splayed bay window at centre and balustrade.
Steep-pitched tiled roof with two pyramid-shaped sections, with finials,
partly concealed by round-arched pilastered features rising from second
floor parapet. Included for group value.
All the listed buildings in Bishop Street together with The Town Hall,
Pickfords Fountain and War Memorial, Town Hall Square rear elevations
of Nos 7, 9, and 11 Granby Street and No 10, The Royal Hotel, Nos 17, 19
and 21 Horesefair Street form a group around Town Hall Square. (Pickfords
is a building of local interest).
Listing NGR: SK5887504321
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.