Description: The Thomas Cook Building
Date Listed: 31 October 1972
English Heritage Building ID: 188640
OS Grid Reference: SK5876404591
OS Grid Coordinates: 458764, 304591
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6359, -1.1331
SK 5804 NE 1/237 31.10.72 The Thomas Cook Building
Dated 1894. Architects Goddard and Paget. Three storeys and attic Ceramic
front. Four bays wide. First floor with carved arches between piers
with ornamental Ionic half-coumns in front; balustraded balcony between.
Entablature over with ornamental frieze of railway engines etc. Above
this, rather similar treatment with three-light mullion and transom windows.
Frieze inscribed "184l T. Cook and Son 1891". Three-light windows to
attic, single pilasters, with four small Flemish gables above. Modern
shop front. This is a refacing and alteration of an earlier building.
Thomas Cook died in 1892 and the facade may have been intended as a memorial
Listing NGR: SK5876404591
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.