Trinity Hospital Almshouses, Leicester
Description: Trinity Hospital Almshouses
Date Listed: 5 January 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 188751
OS Grid Reference: SK5827204059
OS Grid Coordinates: 458272, 304059
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6312, -1.1405
Location: 14 The Newarke, Leicester LE2 7BY
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
5304 (North Side)
SK 5804 SW 2/114 5.1.50 Trinity Hospital Almshouses
Founded in 1331 by Henry Earl of Lancaster. Rebuilt in 1901 by Goodacre
and Sons. Part of the original building remains in the chapel late C14,
double-chamfered chancel arch, four lancets in chancel, the entrance hall
retains one and a half bays of arcade of depressed two-centred arches
on octagonal piers (originally a seventeen bay hall). Monument in alabaster
in poor condition to possibly Lady Mary de Bohum 1394 the wife of Henry
IV. C14 heraldic tiles, 1901 rebuilding consists of:- Stone rubble,
slate roofs, front with pointed-arch arcading containing tall stone mullion/
transom windows with leaded panes, two of arches are open with slight
projection between with sundial in gable and doorway with paired pilasters
and segmental open pediment, four-centred arch door with carved spandrels.
Bell-cote on roof. To right the chapel, stone rubble with steep-pitched
gable-end slate roof with wood bell-cote. To left at angle following
curve of road long brick range of almshouses, stone-mullion windows, gables
at ends and two-storey splayed bays.
Listing NGR: SK5827204059
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.