British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Sapcote

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: II
Date Listed: 7 October 1957
English Heritage Building ID: 189020

OS Grid Reference: SP4886493197
OS Grid Coordinates: 448864, 293197
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5345, -1.2810

Location: Cook's Lane, Sapcote, Leicestershire LE9 4FB

Locality: Sapcote
Local Authority: Blaby District Council
County: Leicestershire
Country: England
Postcode: LE9 4FB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Sapcote, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SP 49 SE (east side)

Church of All

Parish church. Mid C14 and C15, restored 1843, re-roofed and
clerestorey windows restored, 1880; further restored and vestry
and organ chamber added by W. Bassett Smith, 1886. Random
granite rubble and dressed stone, with ashlar dressings and plain
tile and lead roofs. West tower with spire, nave with
clerestorey, north aisle, north porch, vestry and organ chamber,
chancel. C15 west tower, 2 stages, has chamfered plinth and
string course, coved eaves, crenellated parapet and 2 diagonal
west buttresses with setoffs. Smaller irregular buttresses to
east. First stage has to west a restored double lancet in a
splayed opening, and above, a chamfered flat headed window. To
north, a clock dial inscribed 'The Hour is Coming'. Second stage
has on each side a double lancet bell opening with Y tracery and
chamfered reveal. Setback octagonal spire has crocketed finial
and weathercock and 2 tiers of crocketed gabled lucarnes with
double lancets. 3 bay nave has moulded eaves cornice, coped
parapet and gable. North side has 4 cusped double lancet
clerestorey windows with segmental pointed heads. South side has
chamfered plinth and 3 buttresses with setoffs. Off-centre roll
moulded C14 doorway with hood mould and C18 plank door. Above
it, a blocked window. To its right, a C19 Perpendicular triple
lancet with panel tracery. Beyond, on either side, a C19 double
lancet, that to left Decorated, that to right Perpendicular, all
with hood moulds. North aisle, 4 bays, has coved eaves band and
moulded parapet. At each end, a gabled buttress with a cusped
headed niche, 3 setoffs. To the east of the porch, 2 C19
Geometrical traceried double lancets with restored hood moulds
and mask stops. The west end has a C19 Decorated ogee triple
lancet with reticulated tracery, hood mould and mask stops. C19
north porch has chamfered plinth and heavily moulded coped gable
with kneelers and finial. Coved and roll moulded doorway with
restored hood mould and a pair of late C19 cast iron gates.
Plain double chamfered inner doorway with studded C18 plank door.
Lean-to vestry has coped east end. To north, an ogee double
lancet and to its right, a moulded doorway, and to east an ogee
single lancet, all with hood moulds. 2 bay chancel has coped
east gable with a pair of diagonal buttresses, 3 setoffs, and an
ogee reticulated C19 triple lancet, with roll moulded mullions
and reveal and hood mould. South side has 2 C19 Decorated ogee
double lancets with roll moulded mullions and reveals and hood
mould, and an off-centre gabled lateral stack. Interior has C15
stilted segmental pointed double chamfered chancel arch with C20
panelled and glazed screen. Nave has 4 bay north arcade, mid
C14, with octagonal piers and responds, moulded bases and
capitals, and double chamfered arches. South side has a stained
glass window by Clare Dawson, 1953. Moulded arch braced queen
post roof with traceried spandrels. North aisle has a C13
piscina at the north east corner. East end has a C14 style
double chamfered arch with C20 screen and door. Moulded arch
braced roof with traceried spandrels and crenellated corbels.
Chancel has a double chamfered and rebated C14 arch with round
shafts, octagonal capitals and moulded bases. To its left, a
squint with a quatrefoil opening. North side has a C19 pointed
opening to the organ chamber and a similar doorway with hood
mould. To the east, a moulded crocketed aumbry, restored, with a
finial. East end has a traceried panelled oak reredos and an
early C20 stained glass window. South side has a C19 cusped ogee
double sedilia and stained glass windows, 1898 and 1905. C19
moulded arch braced kingpost roof With tracery panels and arcaded
wall plate. Fittings include C11 font with moulded round base
and stem and bowl with lobed leaf ornament. C19 openwork
traceried pulpit, benches with shaped ends, and brass lectern.
C20 panelled stalls and desks. Memorials include 2 marble and
slate tablets with crested aprons and scroll tops, 1724 and
undated, 2 large Classical marble and slate tablets, 1829 and
1836, 4 mid C19 marble and slate tablets, brass, 1841. Notice
referring to bell ringing, 1919.

Listing NGR: SP4886493197

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.