If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 7 October 1957
English Heritage Building ID: 189042
OS Grid Reference: SP4895594789
OS Grid Coordinates: 448955, 294789
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5488, -1.2795
Explore more of the area around Stoney Stanton, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.
STONEY STANTON off NEW ROAD
SP 49 SE (north side)
3/52 Church of
Parish church. Late C14 and C15; chancel and south aisle 1842,
to the designs of H. Goddard; south aisle extended 1882 to form
organ chamber; north aisle and vestry 1888, to the designs of W.
Bassett Smith; south porch 1910. Random granite rubble and
dressed stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. West tower
with spire, nave with clerestorey, north aisle, north porch,
vestry, chancel, south aisle, organ chamber, south porch. West
tower, 4 stages, has chamfered plinth, moulded band, 3 string
courses, coved eaves cornice with gargoyles, and crenellated
parapet. 4 clasping buttresses and set back octagonal spire with
finial and weathercock and a pair of lucarnes to east and west
with a smaller upper pair to north and south. The lower pair
have Y travery. The first stage has to west a restored double
lancet with geometrical tracery, hood mould and mask stops.
Second stage has on 3 sides a quatrefoil light. Third stage has
to south, a clock. Fourth stage has on each side a C14 style
double lancet bell opening with quatrefoil head, hood mould and
mask stops. Clerestorey, 1842, has coved eaves band, moulded
parapet and coped gable with cross, and square corner stack. To
north 3 double lancets with Y tracery and to south 4 double
lancets with 4 centred arched heads, all with hood moulds and
mask stops. North aisle, 4 bays, has moulded sill band, coved
eaves and moulded parapet. 3 buttresses to north plus a diagonal
buttress at each end, all with setoffs. West end has an ogee
triple lancet with reticulated tracery. North side has to east
of the porch, 2 Decorated double lancets and to west, a single
similar double lancet. All the windows have hood moulds. North
porch has coped gable with kneelers and finial and a pair of
flanking buttresses. Moulded and rebated doorway with responds
and hood mould. In each side, a single lancet. Interior has
stone benches, common rafter roof and roll moulded inner doorway
with hood mould. Vestry has sill band, moulded eaves and coped
parapet, single diagonal buttress. Shouldered north doorway has
above it a re-set C11 tympanum with an allegorical scene. To its
right a C19 Geometrical lancet with hood mould. To east, 2 C19
single lancets with hood moulds and stops. Chancel, 2 bays, has
partial C20 plinth, coved eaves and moulded coped gable with
cross. East end has 2 diagonal buttresses and a C19 Geometrical
triple lancet with hood mould, mask finial and stops. Below it,
an ornate slate headstone, to the Rev. J. Bold, 1751, and another
slate headstone, 1874. South side has to west, a moulded
Geometrical double lancet with hood mould and mask stops. South
aisle and organ chamber, 5 bays, has chamfered plinth, coved
eaves and moulded parapet. South side has 4 buttresses plus a
diagonal buttress at each end, all with setoffs. South side has
an off-centre porch flanked to left by a moulded Geometrical
double lancet with hood mould, and to east of the porch, 2
similar windows. East and west ends have each a similar window.
The south porch is identical to the north porch, with roll
moulded inner doorway with hood mould and 2 leaf plank door.
Interior has C14 moulded tower arch with responds with moulded
bases. Tower west window has fragments of stained glass in the
west window. Nave has mid C14 north arcade, 4 bays, with
octagonal piers and responds and double chamfered and rebated
arches. Similar south arcade, C19, has piers without bases.
Moulded clerestorey openings. Arch braced and traceried single
purlin kingpost roof, 1842. North aisle has west window with
stained glass, 1875, and central north side window with stained
glass, 1975. East end has a late C19 chamfered and rebated
archway with responds and wooden screen. To its right, angled
stairway to rood loft, with C20 door and a stoup to its left.
Arch braced roof with traceried spandrels, 1888. South aisle
east end has a C19 arch similar to that in the north aisle. All
the windows have patterned glass. Restored C15 roof with
cambered chamfered tie beams. Chancel has a restored double
chamfered and rebated arch with mask impost corbels. C19
Perpendicular style traceried screen with ogee central opening.
To the left, a double chamfered doorway to the rood stair. On
either side of the chancel a central C19 chamfered and rebated
archway with responds and hood mould, to the vestry and the organ
chamber. The east end has a traceried panelled oak dado, early
C20, with a ramped top and fluted corner posts. Stained glass
east window, C19. Traceried scissor braced roof with wall posts
on foliate corbels. Fittings include octagonal painted ashlar
font with traceried panelled stem, quatrefoil panelled bowl and
triple shafts at the corners. Conical C18 cover. Solid hewn C13
oak chest, approx. two and a half metres long. Royal Arms,
George III, on board. C19 traceried stalls and desks with shaped
ends, plain benches, octagonal oak pulpit, and 3 benefaction
boards. Early C20 wooden lectern, altar table and curtain posts.
Memorials includea re-set slate headstone, 1760, and 4 similar
re-set stones. Scrolled slate and alabaster wall tablet with
urn, 1778. Crested slate tablet by Firmadge of Leicester, 1771.
Classical slate tablet, early C19, by Low of Leicester. Crested
square alabaster and marble war memorial tablet, 1919.
Listing NGR: SP4895594789
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.