Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 15 March 1965
English Heritage Building ID: 189457
OS Grid Reference: SK5381019942
OS Grid Coordinates: 453810, 319942
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7744, -1.2038
SK 5319 NE STEEPLE ROW
10/86 (east side)
15.3.65 Church of All Saints
Church, mainly C14, restored and enlarged 1862 by G G Scott. Of ashlar. Nave and
aisles (with secondary south aisle added 1862 between south transept and porch),
transepts, chancel, 4-stage C15 west tower. Four-bay nave with pinnacles and
battlements. Three-light aisle windows with decorated tracery. Three-light C15
clerestory windows, 2 to each bay. Chancel with perpendicular windows to north and
south, but decorated 5-light east window. Tower: west doorway with shields and
leaves carved in the spandrels, 5-light perpendicular west window, 3-light blind
window above. Bell stage has 2 tall 2-light windows with transoms and quatrefoil
heads flanked by blank panels with identical tracery. Pinnacles and battlements
above (restored 1950). Interior: very lofty tower arch. Quatrefoil arcade piers.
C19 roofs. Sedilia and piscina in chancel. Piscina and aumbry in south chapel.
C19 wrought iron altar table in south aisle. Fine monument to Joanna Walters,
d.1673, carved with angels holding a curtain to either side of inscription tablet,
and the shrouded bodies of a woman and 2 babies beneath. Some C15 brasses. Fine
collection of carved Swishland slate headstones in churchyard. N Pevsner,
[Leicestershire and Rutland.
Listing NGR: SK5381019942
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.