Description: Church of St Dionysius
Date Listed: 25 June 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 189621
OS Grid Reference: SP7335587285
OS Grid Coordinates: 473355, 287285
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4786, -0.9213
SP 7387 MARKET HARBOROUGH CHURCH SQUARE
911/1/1 Church of St Dionysius
Parish Church originally built as a Chapel of St Mary in Arden (qv) during the earlier part of the C13. Architectural features of present church mainly C14 and C15. The town is dominated by the early C14 grey ashlar tower with its fine crocketed brooch spire. Rest of church in coursed sandstone rubble with crenellated parapet. Buttresses. Nave and Chancel with Clerestory windows, Aisles and North and South Porches. Crocketed cross as finial at east end of both Nave and Chancel. South face of tower has large sundial.
Inside, galleries of 1836 remain. Fine achievement of Royal Arms of 1660 at West end. Good C15 timber roof was restored, in same style, in 1954. Fragments of medieval wall painting discovered in 1959 at east end of North Aisle. The Church of St Dionysius is a prominent feature of many near and distant views of the town. It is also the dominant feature of several town centre groups.
Listing NGR: SP7335587285
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.