Description: Market Harborough Railway Station
Date Listed: 25 March 1975
English Heritage Building ID: 189740
OS Grid Reference: SP7415487387
OS Grid Coordinates: 474154, 287387
Latitude/Longitude: 52.4794, -0.9096
Railway Station (formerly
listed under St Mary's Road)
SP 78 NW 7/181 25.3.75.
Formerly joint LNWR and LMR lines. Station established here before 1860. Present
main, or southern station building erected circa 1885. Symmetrical facade. Red
brick with stone dressings. Slightly concave hipped roof, outer hipped gables
slightly advanced with finials. Eaves cornice and very tall symmetrically placed
chimneys, the centre rear stacks linked by an arch. Stone band at 1st floor and
stone capping to brick plinth. 2 storeys and 1 centre dormer with segmental pediment
and moulded eared architrave with scrolled base. 6 windows, the outer bays flanked
by stuccoed pilasters. All windows barred sashes in moulded stone architraves,
the outer 2 ground floor windows also with segmental pediments. Centre 4 windows
paired, with framed panel between at 1st floor. Western ground floor centre pair
now cut through to form additional entrance. Centre round arched doorway with fanlight.
Canopy above centre ground floor. Eastern side external staircase with coped curved
parapet. Rear or northern elevation has stuccoed segmental pediment across facade.
Listing NGR: SP7415487387
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.