British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St James, Burton and Dalby

Description: Church of St James

Grade: I
Date Listed: 1 January 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 189793

OS Grid Reference: SK7676316941
OS Grid Coordinates: 476763, 316941
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7447, -0.8643

Locality: Burton and Dalby
Local Authority: Melton Borough Council
County: Leicestershire
Country: England
Postcode: LE14 2UP

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Burton and Dalby, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


Burton Lazars
(east side)
5/21 Church of
St. James

G.V. I

Parish church. Late C12, mid and late C13, C14, C15. Restored
and chancel rebuilt by H. Goddard, 1850. Further restored 1887
and 1900. Coursed and squared ironstone with limestone ashlar
dressings and lead and slate roofs. Moulded and chamfered
plinths and sill bands, plain eaves, coped gables with crosses to
nave and chancel. Windows have moulded reveals, hood moulds and
mask stops. Small internal west tower with bell turret and
spirelet, nave with clerestory, north aisle, chancel, south
aisle, south porch. West end has paired central and flanking
buttresses, linked by a pointed arch carrying a slab roofed bell
turret with double lancet bell openings, On each side, a smaller
gable with a double lancet opening. Above, a broached octagonal
spirelet. Between the buttresses, a single C13 lancet.
Clerestory, 4 bays, has on each side 3 C19 foiled double lancets,
Decorated style. North aisle, 3 unequal bays, has moulded eaves
and 2 diagonal buttresses and corner gargoyles plus 2
intermediate buttresses. West end has an early C14 double lancet
with Y tracery. North side has to east, a restored later C14
double lancet, and to west an ogee double lancet. To west again,
a restored doorway c.1300 with hood mould and imposts with
nailhead. East end has a restored ogee triple lancet. Chancel,
2 bays, has on north side, to east, restored ogee double lancet
with flat head. East end has 2 diagonal buttresses, stepped sill
band and C19 triple lancet with flowing tracery. South side has
a restored round headed chamfered priest's doorway, with hood
mould and moulded imposts, flanked by single C19 Decorated double
lancets with different tracery. South aisle, C14, 4 bays, has a
diagonal buttress at each end. South side has off-centre porch
flanked by single restored ogee double lancets with depressed
pointed heads. Beyond, to east, a restored ogee triple lancet
with segmental head. West end has a restored ogee double lancet
with flowing tracery. South porch has moulded and chamfered
plinth and sill band, 2 flanking buttresses and coped gable with
gabled kneelers. Multiple moulded doorway has hood mould and
mask stops. In each side, a small chamfered plain lancet.
Interior has 2 stone benches, C19 common rafter roof and C13
round headed moulded inner doorway with hood mould and mask
stops. Shouldered, gabled internal tower has double chamfered
and rebated opening with hood mould and mask stops, and conical
imposts. C20 glazed traceried wooden screen. West window has
C19 patterned stained glass. Early C13 nave arcades, 4 bays.
North side has round piers, responds and bases and north-easat
peier capital with C12 style leaves and masks. South arcade has
octagonal piers and late C12 style waterleaf capitals. Double
chamfered and rebated round arches with hood moulds, that to
north being more elaborate and having mask stops. Restored C15
clerestory roof with cambered span beams, arch braces and wall
shafts, with wooden angels and stone mask corbels. North aisle
has to west, painted C19 wooden screen forming vestry, with Latin
text and Bishops' crests. North side east window has stained
glass, 1877. East end window has coved and moulded reveal with
hood mould and stops. To its right a moulded square bracket and
a C13 cusped piscina and aumbry with hood mould. South aisle
east end has blocked window with hood mould, containing war
memorial. South side has to east, a cupsed C14 piscina and
aumbry. Both aisles have plain C19 roofs. Chancel has C13
double chamfered and rebated arch with half-round responds. East
end has C20 traceried panelled wooden reredos and stained glass
memorial window and brass, 1892. Double purlin roof with arch
braces and stone angel corbels. Fittings include C15 font with
octagonal stem with shafts and panelled bowl re-cut C19. 3 C17
carved oak chests, court cupboard and armchair. Mid C20 panelled
stalls and desks. C19 octagonal oak pulpit. Oak eagle lectern,
1907. Memorials include pedimented marble tablet, 1785, Gothic
style marble war memorial tablet, brass, 1913, roll of honour.

Listing NGR: SK7676316941

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.