British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Stapleford Hall with Adjoining Service Wings and Orangery, Freeby

Description: Stapleford Hall with Adjoining Service Wings and Orangery

Grade: I
Date Listed: 4 July 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 189821

OS Grid Reference: SK8137518060
OS Grid Coordinates: 481375, 318060
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7540, -0.7957

Location: Freeby, Leicestershire LE14 2EF

Locality: Freeby
Local Authority: Melton Borough Council
County: Leicestershire
Country: England
Postcode: LE14 2EF

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Freeby, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


6/49 Stapleford Hall
with adjoin-
14.7.53 ing service wings
and orangery

G.V. I

Country house with adjoining service wings and orangery. The
north wing was built for Thomas Sherard c.1500, and repaired and
remodelled in 1633 by William and Abigail Sherard. The main H-
plan range was built for Bennet Sherard c,1670, and refenestrated
and remodelled by the 4th Earl Harborough c.1776. An orangery
was added to the west c.1820. The central courtyard was filled
with a Jacobean style range, and a service wing added to the
north by Micklethwaite for John Gretton in 1894-98. Ashlar with
hipped and gabled stone slate roofs. 11 grouped corniced stone
stacks. 2 storeys plus attics, 9 bays wide by 7 bays deep.
Square plan plus wings to north and west. Main range, c.1670,
has projecting quoins, pulvinated first flooor band, eaves band,
and deep modillioned eaves. Main east front has a central
panelled ashlar doorcase with scrolled brackets and a broken
segmental pediment, moulded 6 panel door and glazing bar
overlight, flanked on each side by 4 glazing bar sashes with
moulded architraves. Above, 9 similar sashes, and above again,
3 segmental headed dormers each with a cross casement. North
side, former entrance court, has an off-centre doorcase with
scroll brackets to a broken segmental pediment containing a
draped crest. A tall glazing bar sash replaces the door. To its
left 4, and to right, 2 glazing bar sashes, all with moulded
architraves. Above the door, a similar sash with more heavily
moulded eared architrave, and the eaves stepped above it, flanked
to left by 4 and to right by 3 glazing bar sashes. Above, 3
dormers each with a cross casement. Beyond, to left, projecting
single bay wing with a glazing bar sash and above, a wooden cross
casement. In the return angle, a single sash to each floor.
Symmetrical west front, 7 bays, has 6 wooden cross casements and
a French window. Above, 7 wooden cross casements, and above
again, 3 dormers with segmental heads and 2 light casements.
Late C19 south front has projecting balustraded 7 bay centre with
a central 2 storey square bay window with shaped balustraded
gable with sundial and inscription. Central triple cross
mullioned casement. Beyond on each side, a 3 light cross
mullioned casement flanked by single 2 light cross mullioned
casements and between the windows, single round headed niches.
Above, similar fenestration with taller windows. The bay window
has a cross mullioned casement in each side on each floor.
Beyond again, on each side, a late C17 wing, each with a glazing
bar sash on each floor. 3 bay north wing has to east moulded
plinth and first floor band, a coved band with bosses and a
frieze of shields and moulded eaves with the inscription 'William
Lord Sherard Baron of Letrym repayred this Buylding Anno Domini
1633'. 2 double lancets with flat heads and hood moulds.
Between them, a triple figurative panel flanked oin each side by
4 shields and beyond by single figurative panels. Above, a
central remodelled 4 light lancet with flat head and hood mould
and above it, 3 crocketed gables. Beyond, on each side, 3
crocketed niches containing figures. Beyond, on each side, a
double lancet with flat head and hood mould. Beyond again, on
each side, 3 crocketed niches with figures. The 6 figures and
niches to right are c.1500, the 6 to the left, 1633. Above
again, 3 cross eaves dormers with triangular pediments on
volutes, each with a niche containing a figure and each with a
double lancet. Beyond, to left, a 2 storey square extruded
corner, c.1500, with moulded parapet with fleurons. On each
floor on each side, a triple lancet with flat head and hood
mould. Above each upper window, a figurative panel. North end
has pedimented shaped gable with finial, on volutes. Central
paired cusped double lancet with flat head and hood mould and
above it, a triple figurative panel. Above, a similar paired
double lancet and above it, a figurative panel flanked by single
smaller panels. Above again, a triple lancet with flat head and
hood mould,and above it, a figurative panel with foliate bracket
anbd a crest. Beyond, to right, a 2 storey range, raised late
C19, with a projecting central bay containing a pointed doorway
with flat hood mould. Beyond, to right, a paired double lancet
with hood mould, and above it a 6 fold relief panel. Above, 3
late C19 double lancets with flat hoods. North wing west side
has area with coped balustrade. To the right, 3 buttresses, the
central one shorter. 4 stone cross mullioned casements. Above,
5 cross mullioned casements. Above again, 4 cross eaves gabled
dormers with shoulders and obelisk finials, each with a 3 light
cross mullioned casement. Beyond, to left, a C19 lean-to
addition with a cross mullioned casement, coped parapet, and a
frieze with a Latin inscription. Northern service wing, 1898, 9
bays, L-plan, has 2 moulded string courses, and wavy coped
parapet with ball finials. East side has a re-set carriage
opening c.1633, with moulded elliptical head, flanking Tuscan
columns and a hood mould with a frieze of shields, flanked on
each side by 2 four light lancets with hood moulds. Above the
carriage opening, a cross mullioned casement flanked on each side
by 4 similar casements. Above again, central segmental
pediment dated 1898. West side has an off-centre 2 storey porch
with a scrolled pedimented gable and moulded elliptical arch with
hood mould and 3 shields, flanked by single lean-to covered ways.
Above, the porch has 2 chamfered casements and above them, a
clock. Beyond on each side, 2 cross mullioned casements. North
side has 3 triple lancets and above, 4 cross casements. Western
service wing has to south in the basement, a Tudor arched
doorway and 2 C19 mullioned casements. Above, 2 recesses with
segmental heads, that to right with a mullioned casement. Above
again, a central chamfered casement with hood mould. Beyond, to
left, 4 bay section raised late C19. Recessed 2 bay centre with
flanking wings with shaped gables. On each floor, 4 paired cross
mullioned casements. Beyond again, to left, orangery, early C19.
Central round headed doorway and above it, a Diocletian window,
flanked on each side by 2 full height wooden glazing bar lights.
coped west gable has large central French window with overlight.
Interior, possibly by John Webb c.1670, remodelled c.1776 and
again in 1898. Eastern entrance hall has to west, a late C18
Classical marble fireplace with swagged central panel. To its
left, moulded doorcase with a broken pediment. East end has a 3
bay round arched Ionic arcade. West end has a late C17 doorcase
with a late C20 pediment. Late C18 panelled ceiling with central
roundel containing high relief figures. Adam style cornice.
Ante room to south has late C17 decoration, with arch topped
eared and shouldered wall panels, 2 doorcases with eared
architraves and high relief foliate friezes with broken segmental
pediments, C18 Classical marble fireplace with fruit swagged
overmantel,and palmette cornice. Dining room, late C19, has to
east and west a central re-sited late C17 doorcase with broken
segmental pediment, enriched wall panelling and to south, central
stone fireplace, late C18, with carved wooden overmantel
attributed to Gibbons, all flanked by single enriched Corinthian
pilasters. Mid C20 banded plaster ceiling. Late C17 panelled
sitting room has moulded cornice and early C19 Classical
fireplace. C19 panelled music room, to south, has to north a
recess with Ionic columns containing a rococo style marble
fireplace. C19 library has fitted bookshelves and to east and
westa concealed door. Wooden Classical fireplace with flanking
columns. Central C19 staircase hall has mahogany panelling,
pedimented doorcases, and dogleg stair with intermediate landings
and gallery, square newels and bulbous balusters, all in late C17
style. Above, to south, a 3 bay elliptical arched arcade. C19
service hall, to west, has to north, very large Baroque style
black and white marble fireplace with scroll brackets. West end
has a 3 bay round arched arcade. South and east sides have each,
to left, a passageway with moulded panelled barrel vault. East
and west ends have, above, a 3 bay round headed arcade. Late C18
former kitchen has an early C19 vault with square central pier
and to north and south a depressed 4 centred arched fireplace
opening. Late C19 first floor gallery has 2 C18 marble
fireplaces, that to west with figure brackets, attributed to J.
M. Rysbrack. Stapleford Park belonged from 1402 to the Sherard
family, who became Barons of Leitrim in 1627 and Earls of
Harborough in 1718. The title expired in 1859. The estate was
bought in 1885 by James Hornsby and in 1894 by John Gretton, who
carried out much alteration and new building. His son, who
succeeded in 1899, subsequently became Lord Gretton. The house
was sold in 1986 to John Payton and is being converted into an

Listing NGR: SK8137518060

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.