British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Luke, Gaddesby

Description: Church of St Luke

Grade: I
Date Listed: 1 January 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 189841

OS Grid Reference: SK6897513051
OS Grid Coordinates: 468975, 313051
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7107, -0.9805

Location: Church Lane, Gaddesby, Leicestershire LE7 4WG

Locality: Gaddesby
Local Authority: Melton Borough Council
County: Leicestershire
Country: England
Postcode: LE7 4WG

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Gaddesby, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


(north side)
8/84 Church of St. Luke

Parish church. C12, C13, early and mid C14. Porch late C18.
Chancel restored 1859. Coursed and squared ironstone and
limestone ashlar with ashlar dressings and lead roofs. West
tower with spire, nave with clerestory, north aisle, chancel,
south aisle and chantry chapel, south porch. West tower, C13
and C14, 3 stages, has moulded plinth and sill band, 2 string
courses and eaves band with masks. 4 shallow angle buttresses.
Octagonal broach spire with 3 tiers of gabled lucarnes with
double lancet openings, topped with a finial and a weathercock.
West face has to first stage a chamfered single lancet, second
stage, a clock and a single lancet. Bell stage has to each face
a bar traceried double lancet with heavily moulded reveal and
hood moulds with mask stops. Nave clerestory, 4 bays, has a
ballflower frieze, and coped gable with kneelers and finial.
North side has 4 Decorated ogee double lancets with moulded
mullions and reveals: South side has 4 similar lancets, the
eastern one untraceried. All these windows have hood moulds
and mask stops. North aisle, mid C14, 5 bays, has deep moulded
plinth, sill and impost bands, coved frieze with masks, parapet
with stepped crenellations and single gargoyle to west. 2 double
gabled angle buttresses and 4 double gabled intermediate
buttresses, all topped with pinnacles and gargoyles. North side
has a moulded ogee headed central doorway with triple shafts and
hood mould, flanked on each side by 2 ogee triple lancets with
shafts and flowing tracery. All these windows have hood moulds
and mask stops. West end has a Decorated 4 light lancet with
double shafts, hood mould and mask stops. East end has to left a
C19 buttress supporting a stack in the form of a pinnacle, and a
Decorated 4 light lancet with shafts and hood mould. Chancel, 2
bays, early C14, has chamfered plinth and eaves, moulded sill
band, and coped gable with cross. North side has, to east, a
triple lancet with intersecting tracery and to west an ogee
double lancet, both with hood moulds and mask stops, and a
chamfered doorway, 1859. East end has 2 diagonal buttresses with
setoffs, and an untraceried stepped 5 light lancet with hood
mould and mask stops. South side has to east a cusped ogee
double lancet with 4 centred arched head and hood mould, and to
west, a triple lancet with intersecting tracery. South aisle
east end has moulded plinth and sill band, frieze with
ballflowers, and 2 angle buttresses with setoffs. East end has a
cusped ogee triple lancet with double shafts. South side, to
east of the porch, has a buttress and to east, a Geometrical
triple lancet. Both windows have hood moulds with a single stop.
2 bay chantry chapel west of porch, mid C14, has moulded plinth
and sill band, continuous hood moulds, frieze with flowers, and
stepped crenellated parapet and gable. South side has 2
buttresses and to west an angle buttress, all with crocketed
canopies and topped with pinnacles, those to the south side being
incomplete. West end has a central moulded doorway with shafts,
and above it, an inserted heavily moulded segmental triangle
window, both enclosed by a shaped crocketed hood mould. Above, a
blank arcade with crocketed canopies and 3 niches with nodding
ogee hoods. South side has 2 Geometrical triple lancets with
shafts. C18 south porch has coped gable and plain round headed
doorway with keystone. Above it, a sundial. Interior has
moulded stone benches and roof of re-used timber. Double roll
moulded early C13 doorway with keeled shafts, single leaf
capital, hood mould and mask finial. Interior has triple
chamfered C13 tower arch with octagonal responds. Above it, a
small doorway. Tower base has to north and south, a blind
chamfered arch. North and south arcades, C13 and C14, 5 bays,
have octagonal piers and responds with various moulded capitals
and low walls between the piers. The 2 easternmost south piers
have round seat bases. Double chamfered arches have hood moulds
with mask stops. Clerestory has windows with hood moulds and low
pitched roof with cambered span beams and single purlin. North
aisle has stone benches, sill band and eaves with ballflowers.
West and north windows have keeled shafts and hood moulds with
mask stops. East end has window with filleted shafts, flanked by
single brackets. To its right, early C14 cusped piscina with
gable and bracket with ballflower. South side has remains of 5
wall shafts with mask corbels. Restored C18 roof in 2 sections.
Moulded and rebated C14 chancel arch has keeled responds and C19
crested traceried screen with central brass gates. North side
has to west, C19 doorway with shafts and hood mould. To east, a
fragment of carved frieze and a C19 aumbry. East end has large
late C19 ashlar reredos with alabaster figures, in C14 style, and
stained glass window, 1892, by Heaton, Butler & Bayne. South
side has to east, a chamfered C13 piscina. Plain roof with
chamfered span beams and purlins. South aisle east end has a
window with shafts and hood mould with mask stops, flanked to the
right by a bracket. South side has, to east, an early C14
piscina with hood mould, finial and mask stops. South window has
patterned stained glass, 1879. To west, chamfered south doorway
with hood mould, a single shaft, and the remains of a piscina.
Chantry chapel at west end has a moulded sill band, and ornate
foliate and ballflower friezes. South side has an ogee headed
moulded tomb recess, and 2 windows with keeled shafts, hood
moulds and mask stops. West end has a central segmental pointed
doorway with round shafts, hood mould and mask stops. Plain
roof. Fittings include 15 C16 benches with shaped ends and
poppyheads,3 C17 plain benches, and late C19 stalls, benches,
desks and pulpit. Single late C18 panelled pew. Re-set C18 altar
rail with vase and stem balusters. C17 square poor box on stem,
and plain chest. C13 octagonal font with cusped arcaded bowl.
Memorials include C13 cross slab, incised slab 1498, to William
Derby and wife, tomb chest c.1500, with 4 shields in quatrefoils,
and the effigy of a knight. Outstanding marble monument, 1848,
to Col. Edward Cheney, by J. Gott. Moulded chest with relief
panel to front and military trophy panels at the ends. Above,
almost like-size figures of dying horse and rider. 4 C19 marble
and slate tablets to the Cheney family. 8 other marble and slate

Listing NGR: SK6897513051

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.