If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St John the Baptist
Date Listed: 1 January 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 189863
OS Grid Reference: SK8102410152
OS Grid Coordinates: 481024, 310152
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6830, -0.8029
Explore more of the area around Knossington and Cold Overton, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.
SK 81 SW KNOSSINGTON MAIN STREET
11/106 Church of St.John
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, and c.1800. Restored by J. T.
Micklethwaite, 1889. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone
rubble and ashlar, with ashlar dressings. Lead and Swithland
slate roofs. Moulded and chamfered plinths, sill band, some
coved eaves. Openings mainly have hood moulds and mask stops.
West tower with spire, nave with clerestory, north aisle,
chancel, south aisle, south porch. Tower, C15, 2 stages, has
clasping buttresses, those to west with masks on the plinth. 2
chamfered and moulded string courses and toninuous hood mould.
Coved eaves with masks, crenellated parapets with 4 pinnacles.
Setback octagonal spire with finial and weathercock plus 2 tiers
of gabled lucarnes with double lancets. First stage has to west,
blocked moulded doorway and above it, C15 double lancet with
panel tracery. Second stage has 4 transomed cusped double
lancets. To east, clock. Clerestory, 3 bays, has chamfered band
and crenellated parapet with south-east corner and gable
pinnacles. Rainwater heads to north inscribed 'J B 1804' and to
south 'W S 1793'. On each side, 3 round headed double lancets
with moulded pointed openings. North aisle, 2 bays, has to north
2 buttresses. West end has C19 chamfered single lancet. North
side has to east, C15 triple lancet with moulded elliptical head.
To west, chamfered C13 blocked door. East end hasa restored
round headed moulded window. Chancel, 2 bays, has moulded plinth
and coped gable with cross. North side has central buttress, 2
setoffs. To west, C14 double lancet with flowing tracery, and to
west again, C13 single lancet low side window. East end has
angle buttress to right and single buttress to left, 2 setoffs.
Restored C14 reticulated triple lancet with coved and chamfered
reveal. South side has central buttress, 2 setoffs. To west,
C13 foiled single lancet low side window. Above and to east, 2
restored C14 double lancets with flamboyant tracery. South
aisle, 3 bays, has 2 pairs of double gabled angle buttresses with
crocketed pinnacles. Chamfered and moulded plinth and sill band.
Rainwater head inscribed 'J M 1795'. East end has C14 double
lancet with flamboyant tracery and coved reveal. South side has
to east of porch, C14 ogee headed triple lancet with intersecting
tracery. West end has late C18 untraceried chamfered triple
lancet with coved reveal. South porch has 2 diagonal buttresses
and moulded coped gable incorporating restored sundial. C14
double chamfered doorway with octagonal shafts and capitals.
Interior has 2 stone benches, C19 common rafter roof and re-set
C16 chamfered span beam and boss. Early C13 moulded round headed
doorway with fillets, double ringed shafts with leaf capitals,
and hood mould with fleurons. C17 framed and panelled door with
late C18 panelled furniture. Double chamfered C13 tower arch has
octagonal responds and stiff leaf and crocketed capitals, and
hood mould. Early C13 north arcade, 2 bays, has round piers and
responds with water holding bases and stiff leaf capitals.
Moulded arches with keeled and filleted roll mouldings. Similar,
plainer south arcade, mid C13, has responds with nailhead. C19
principal rafter roof with restored mask corbels. North and
south aisles have C19 roofs with arch braces on re-set corbels.
North aisle has blocked doorway and stained glass east window
c.1920. To its right, arched moulded C19 fireplace with crest in
roundel. South aisle has to east, foiled moulded piscina with
damaged hood mould. Above, remains of C14 wall paintings and
window with fragments of C14 stained glass. West end has re-set
cross shaft in window sill. Memorial chapel at west end has 3
bay Classical wooden screen with central double doors and metal
bars. Chancel has early C14 double keeled and filleted moulded
arch with hood mould and octagonal responds with moulded
capitals. Early C20 Perpendicular style traceried oak screen.
North side has to east moulded C13 blocked doorway and to its
right, small aumbry. East end has Perpendicular style altar,
reredos, wall panels and candlesticks, early C20, and stained
glass window, 1926. South side has damaged fillet moulded C13
piscina and similar triple sedilia, both with hood moulds.
Eastern and low side windows have C15 stained glass fragments.
Low pitched C19 roof with cambered tie beams, bosses and arch
braces on plain corbels. Fittings include linenfold panelled oak
desks, pulpit, lectern and stalls, c.1918. Plain C19 benches.
Fluted font on baluster stem, 1842. C18 chest with bracket feet.
Wardrobe, 1893, assembled from former roof timbers. Memorials
include large pedimented Classical marble tablet by W. G.
Nicholl, 1829, with brackets carrying cushion and inscribed open
book. Re-set slate tablet with painted heraldry to John Turner,
1753. Slate tablet to Selina Frewen, 1784. Corniced marble and
slate tablet, 1791. 3 mid C19 marble and slate tablets to
Frewen-Turner family. Marble and slate tablet, 1879. Painted
slate tablets signed 'Burton' 1819 and 1832. Brass, 1866.
Green stone cross, 1911.
Listing NGR: SK8102410152
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.