If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Date Listed: 1 January 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 189882
OS Grid Reference: SK7574510789
OS Grid Coordinates: 475745, 310789
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6895, -0.8808
Explore more of the area around Somerby, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.
SK 7410 - 7510 SOMERBY MAIN STREET
Burrough on the Hill
(north west side)
18/125 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C13, C14. Tower restored 1629. Chancel rebuilt
by H. Goddard and Son, 1867. Tower, north aisle and part of
south aisle rebuilt by C. Kirk, 1878. Interior restored by H.
Goddard, 1860. Coursed and squared ironstone with limestone
ashlar dressings and lead roofs. West tower with spire, nave
with clerestory, north aisle, chancel, south aisle, south porch.
West tower, 3 stages, has to west 2 pairs of angle buttresses
with setoffs. Chamfered plinth, 3 chamfered string courses,
moulded eaves cornice with masks and a gargoyle, openwork parapet
with ballflower decoration. First stage has to west, a C13
lancet. Second stage has to south a similar lancet with hood
mould. Bell stage has to south west, a datestone inscribed 'TB
1629'. North and east sides have clock dials inscribed in memory
of G. A. and W. C. Burnaby, 1878. North and west sides have a
double lancet bell opening with central shaft and hood mould.
Set back octagonal spire has a single low tier of large gabled
lucarnes with crosses and double lancet openings. Clerestory
has on each side 3 untraceried single lancets with double
chamfered openings. Coped east gable with angel kneelers and
cross. North aisle, 4 bays, has diagonal east buttress, west
angle buttress, and 3 intermediate buttresses. North side has a
slightly off-centre chamfered doorway with hood mould, flanked by
single untraceried double lancets with hood moulds. Beyond, to
west, a chamfered C19 doorway with hood mould. West end has an
untraceried double lancet with flat head. East end has a double
lancet with Y tracery and hood mould. Chancel, 2 bays, has deep
moulded and chamfered plinth and coved eaves with masks. North
side has a Decorated double lancet with hood mould, flanked to
right by a C13 chamfered low side lancet. East end has 2 angle
buttresses, sill band and coped gable. Decorated triple lancet
with hood mould. South side has to west, a restored small round
headed lancet, flanked to east by a Decorated double lancet with
hood mould. 3 bay south aisle has chamfered plinth and 2
diagonal gabled buttresses. South side has to east of porch, an
untraceried ogee triple lancet, and to west of porch a similar
C19 double lancet, both with flat heads and hood moulds. East
end has a round headed triple lancet with flat head and hood
mould. West end has a restored Decorated ogee double lancet with
hood mould. South porch, C14, has coped gable with finial and
heavily moulded ogee doorway with multiple octagonal responds and
a pair of wooden gates. Interior has traceried panelled war
memorial benches, 1919, and common rafter roof. C13 south
doorway, double rebated and moulded, has hood mould and double
octagonal shafts. Interior has C13 double chamfered and rebated
tower arch with moulded octagonal responds. Tower chamber has
C19 stained glass west window. North and south arcades, C13, 3
bays, have round piers and responds with round bases and
capitals and double chamfered and rebated arches, with hood
moulds, mask stops and crests. Low pitched roof with moulded
ridge inscribed '1651 RP JA GW 1657'. Moulded arch braces with
bosses, on large mask corbels. North aisle has eastern window
with stained glass, 1908, and east window with stained glass,
1886. C19 roof with arch braces. South aisle east end has
stained glass window, late C19, by O'Connor. South side has to
east, C13 cusped piscina. Eastern window has stained glass,
1906. Western window has stained glass, late C19. West end
window has stained glass, 1905. Roof has arch braces and wall
shafts on wooden corbels. Chancel has double chamfered and
rebated arch with octagonal responds, hood mould and mask stops,
C13, and sill band. North side has 2 late C19 stained glass
windows. East end has C20 panelled wooden reredos and east window
with shafts and hood mould and stained glass by O'Connor, 1867.
South side has 2 stained glass windows, 1872 and 1883. Fittings
include font, C13, with clustered stem with 10 shafts with
dogtooth between them, and tapered round bowl with blind
arcading, masks and stiff leaf decoration, and vine trail frieze.
Fittings of 1860 include plain pine benches, traceried octagonal
oak pulpit and matching prayer desk. C19 brass and iron lectern.
Gothic organ case, 1908. Memorials include a chest tomb mid C15,
to William and Margaret de Stockden, now divided into 2 pieces.
To north, chest with shields and large male effigy. To south,
chest with fleurons and large female effigy. Scrolled Classical
marble tablet with a winged skull to the Cheseldyn family, 1691.
Classical marble tablet, 1814. Slate tablets, 1755 and 1867. 2
C19 brasses. 3 C20 brasses to the Peake family, 2 of them with
medals. Brass, 1917.
Listing NGR: SK7574510789
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.