If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 1 January 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 189886
OS Grid Reference: SK7857211379
OS Grid Coordinates: 478572, 311379
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6944, -0.8388
Explore more of the area around Somerby, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.
SK 71 SE SOMERBY MAIN STREET
10/129 Church of All
Parish church. C13 and C14, tower C15, restored, south aisle and
south porch rebuilt by R. W. Johnson, 1860. Coursed and squared
ironstone and limestone ashlar with limestone dressings and lead
roofs. West tower, nave with clerestory, north aisle, chancel,
south aisle, south porch. West tower, 3 stages, has moulded
plinth, 3 chamfered string courses, coved eaves with 4 gargoyles,
moulded crenellated parapet with 4 pinnacles, one of them with a
weathercock. 2 angle buttresses to west, 2 clasping buttresses
to east, with engaged shafts to the top stage. First stage has to
west a cusped double lancet with hood mould and beast mask stops.
Second stage has to south a single lancet overlaid by a clock.
Bell stage has to east, a cupsed double lancet bell opening with
hood mould, and on the remaining faces, a taller paired double
lancet bell opening with transom and panel tracery and hood
mould. North aisle, C14, 4 bays, has plinth and to east a
diagonal buttress. North side has 4 buttresses with 3 setoffs.
North side has to west a blocked C14 doorway with hood mould,
flanked by single Geometrical double lancets. Beyond, to east, a
triple lancet with intersecting tracery. West end has a cusped
double lancet with flat head. East end has a late C15
untraceried double lancet with flat head. Clerestory, C14, 3
bays, has to north 3 squat double lancets with various Decorated
tracery. South side has a central untraceried double lancet
flanked on each side by a double lancet with Decorated tracery.
All these lancets have hood moulds and stops. Chancel, 3 bays,
has chamfered plinth and sill band, and moulded parapet and gable
with cross. East end has 2 double gabled angle buttresses with
cross finials, and a restored C14 triple lancet with Geometrical
tracery, hood mould and mask stops. South side has 3 full height
double gabled buttresses with cross finials. Central C14 ogee
double lancet with transom, flanked to east by a blocked similar
window with a crested memorial tablet, 1840, and to left by a C14
doorway with double filleted moulding. Beyond, to left, a C14
cusped, transomed double lancet, smaller than the central window
and set lower. All the openings have hood moulds and mask stops.
South aisle, 4 bays, has moulded plinth and sill band, moulded
eaves cornice and crenellated parapet. 2 diagonal and 2
intermediate double gabled buttresses each with a cusped niche,
all except the eastern buttress topped with pinnacles. South
side has to east a double lancet with Y tracery and hood mould.
East and west ends have an untraceried Perpendicular triple
lancet with 4 centred arched reveals and hood moulds. South
porch has sill band, a pair of diagonal buttresses and coped
gable. Double chamfered and rebated doorway with octagonal
responds and round shafts, with hood mould. Porch interior has
stone benches and common rafter roof. South doorway, C13, double
chamfered and rebated, with round shafts and hood mould.
Interior has double chamfered and rebated tower arch, C13, with
hood mould and mask stops, and round responds. C19 traceried
screen. Nave north arcade, early C13, 5 bays, has blocked
eastern bay, and round piers with moulded bases on square pads.
Central pier has stiff leaf capital, the remainder round moulded
capitals. Double chamfered and rebated round arches with hood
moulds. South arcade, c.1300, 4 bays, has thinner round piers
with round bases and capitals, double chamfered and rebated
pointed arches with hood moulds and mask stops. C19 low pitched
roof with moulded arch braces, wall shafts and mask corbels.
North aisle has 3 chamfered and rebated tomb recesses and roof
with double arch braces and corbels. South aisle north side has
to east a tall blocked pointed opening. East end has to right, a
canopied niche. South side has to east, a chamfered piscina and
2 double chamfered tomb recesses. Similar roof to north aisle.
Chancel east end has C20 panelled dado and reredos, and to right,
a bracket with a mask corbel. South side has to east, a coved
round headed piscina and a graduated cove moulded triple sedilia.
Low pitched roof with arch braces and corbels with ballflowers,
with a more elaborate truss to the west with struts and traceried
spandrels. Fittings of 1860 include pine stalls, desks and
benches, traceried panelled octagonal oak pulpit and brass
lectern. Cll round font with interlaced arcading. Monuments
include a scrolled marble cartouche, 1712, large pedimented
marble tablet with crest, 1734, marble and slate tablets 1757 and
1795. Single C20 brass.
Listing NGR: SK7857211379
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.