British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of All Saints, Somerby

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 1 January 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 189895

OS Grid Reference: SK7794710492
OS Grid Coordinates: 477947, 310492
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6865, -0.8483

Location: High Street, Somerby, Leicestershire LE14 2PZ

Locality: Somerby
Local Authority: Melton Borough Council
County: Leicestershire
Country: England
Postcode: LE14 2PZ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Somerby, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


(west side)
19/138 Church of All

G.V. I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14. Restored 1714, 1763, further
restored 1865 and chancel restored 1883 by R. W. Johnson. North
transept (vestry) added by T. Bown, 1887. Coursed and squared
ironstone with limestone ashlar dressings and plain tile and lead
roofs. C19 lateral and octagonal gable stone stacks. Central
tower with spire, nave with clerestory, north aisle, north
transept, chancel, south aisle, south porch. Central tower, 3
stages, has moulded sill band, 2 string courses, moulded eaves
cornice with 4 gargoyles, crenellated parapet and 4 corner
buttresses with setoffs. South face has a restored Decorated
double lancet and above it, a stair light. Bell stage has on
each face a C14 double lancet bell opening with hood mould. To
south, a datestone over the opening, inscribed '1714'. To east,
a clock. Setback octagonal spire has 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes
with crosses and double lancet openings and above, finial and
weathercock. Nave, 3 bays, has coped west gable with central
stack. West end has a Geometrical triple lancet with hood mould.
Clerestory has on each side, 3 double lancets with 4 centred
arched heads. All these windows are of 1865. Unbuttressed north
aisle, 4 bays, has chamfered plinth. WEst end has a Decorated
triple lancet with flat head. North side has to west a blocked
cove moulded C14 doorway flanked to left by a Decorated triple
lancet with cusped intersecting tracery, and to right by a
Decorated double lancet with flat head. Beyond, to left, a
reticulated triple lancet. All these windows are of 1865. All
the openings have hood moulds and stops. North transept has
moulded plinth and sill band and north gable with double gabled
flanking buttresses. North gable has a Decorated triple lancet
with hood mould and mask stops. East side has a roll moulded
doorway. Unbuttressed chancel, 2 bays, has sill band, moulded
eaves and moulded parapet and gable with cross. North side has a
C14 Decorated double lancet flanked to left by a chamfered round
headed doorway and to right by a C13 chamfered low side lancet.
East end has a Geometrical triple lancet. South side has 2
restored C14 Decorated double lancets flanked to west by a small
low side double lancet with flat head. All the openings have
hood moulds. Unbuttressed south aisle, 4 bays, has an off-centre
porch flanked to west by a Decorated style double lancet with
segmental pointed head, and to east by 2 similar double lancets.
East and west ends have a Decorated double lancet. All the
windows are of 1865 and all have hood moulds and stops. South
porch has coped gable with cross. Moulded C14 doorway with hood
mould and responds, in a poor state of preservation. Interior
has stone benches and C19 common rafter roof. South doorway
c.1300 has fillet moulded head and shafts, dogtooth ornament,
hood mould and mask stops. Tower base has a double chamfered
arch to east and west. To west, above, to right, a chamfered
door c.1300. Nave west end has a stained glass window, 1864.
North arcade, mid C13, 4 bays, has square piers and responds with
4 corner shafts, lobed bases and various stiff leaf capitals.
Double chamfered and rebated arches have hood moulds with mask
crests and stops. Similar south arcade, 1865. C19 low pitched
roof with king post trusses. North aisle has central north side
window with late C19 stained glass. East end has a chamfered
early C14 tomb recess. C19 arch braced roof with early C14 mask
corbels. Chancel north side has 2 stained glass windows, c.1882.
East end has a late C19 traceried panelled alabaster reredos and
stained glass window, 1883, by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. South
side has to east, cusped C13 piscina with hood mould, and cusped
ogee headed triple sedilia containing a re-set head from an
incised slab. Stained glass eastern window, 1891, by Lavers and
Westlake, and 2 windows with late C19 stained glass. C19
principal rafter roof with arch braces and wall shafts on mask
corbels. South aisle east end has to left a chamfered piscina
with dogtooth, and a stained glass window, 1900. South side has
2 stained glass windows, c.1918 and to west a stained glass
memorial window, 1969. C19 lean-to roof with arch braces on C14
corbels. Fittings of 1865 include traceried stalls with scrolled
ends, plain pine benches, and octagonal ashlar and alabaster
pulpit. C18 carved chest with drawer, a C17 poppyhead, brass
eagle lectern, 1891. Late C13 octagonal font with 3 gabled blind
arches with crockets anbd masks, on 8 round shafts. Monuments
include early C18 marble tablet with apron and scrolled crest,
obelisk tablet with crest, 1759, corniced tablet, 1779, Classical
tablet with urn, 1804. 2 mid C19 tablets. 4 C19 and 4 C20
brasses. Brass, 1661, referring to benefactions. Pedimented
wooden war memorial tablet, 1918. Slate war memorial tablet

Listing NGR: SK7794710492

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.