If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 1 January 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 189906
OS Grid Reference: SK8515718653
OS Grid Coordinates: 485157, 318653
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7588, -0.7395
There is also a scheduled monument, Churchyard Cross in St Peter's Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Wymondham, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.
SK 8418 - 8518 WYMONDHAM CHURCH LANE
14/149 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1864, further restored
and vestry added by Goddard and Son, 1867, nave restored by R. H.
Carpenter, 1873. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone
ashlar with ashlar dressings with patterned tile and aluminium
roofs. Chamfered and moulded plinths, ashlar quoins. Moulded
coped parapets and gables with cross finials and single stone
lateral stack. West tower with spire, nave with clerestory,
north aisle, north transept, vestry, chancel, south transept,
south aisle, south porch. Unbuttressed west tower, C13 and C14,
4 stages, has plinth, 3 string courses, fleuron frieze, with 4
gargoyles and crenellated parapet. Set back octagonal spire with
2 tiers of gabled lucarnes with double lancets, the upper tier
with crosses, finial and weathercock. First stage has to west a
C13 style single lancet, and to south a similar smaller lancet.
Second stage has to west and to south a single C13 lancet, that
to south flanked to left by a sundial. Third stage has on each
side a double lancet bell opening with hood mould, those to west
and north having clock dials, early C19. Fourth stage is ashlar
with 4 cusped ogee double lancet bell openings with panel
tracery, moulded reveals and hood moulds. Clerestory, C15, 4
bays, has on each side 4 ogee triple lancets with panel tracery
and segmental arched heads with hood moulds. East gable has a
double lancet in the same style, and gable with cross. North
aisle, 2 bays, has 2 angle buttresses and coved eaves. North
side has to west, ogee headed C14 blocked doorway with hood mould
and mask stops, flanked to east by a memorial tablet, 1849 and
beyond, to east, by an ogee triple lancet with panel tracery and
hood mould. West end has a restored Decorated ogee triple lancet
with hood mould and mask stops. North transept has to north a
C15 4 light ogee lancet with billeted transom and panel tracery,
moulded reveal and hood mould. East side has a C15 triple ogee
lancet with flat head and hood mould. Vestry has to north a C13
style double lancet, 1894, with hood mould, and to east a similar
double lancet. Chancel north side has to west a late C15 ogee
triple lancet with panel tracery, moulded reveal and hood mould.
East end has 2 angle buttresses, chamfered sill band and gable
with cross. Geometrical 5 light lancet, 1864, with moulded
reveal and hood mould. South side, 2 bays, has sill band and an
off-centre buttress flanked to west by a plain chamfered doorway.
Beyond, on either side, a C15 triple lancet with panel tracery,
moulded reveal and hood mould. South transept has to south a
late C15 triple lancet with ogee central light, segmental pointed
head and hood mould. West side has a restored Tudor arched
doorway with hood mould and mask stops. South aisle, 2 bays, has
to east a C15 transomed triple lancet with ogee central light,
with 4 centred arched head and hood mould. West end has an early
C14 double lancet with Y tracery and hood mould. South porch has
a restored chamfered and moulded doorway with octagonal shafts,
hood mould and mask stops, and a pair of iron gates, 1899.
Interior has stone benches and common rafter roof with C19
hanging lamp. South doorway, C14, has deep filleted moulding and
hood mould. Tower chamber has stained glass west window, 1864,
and iron spiral staircase, 1868. Nave arcades, C14 and C15, 3
bays, have square piers set diagonally, each with 4 half round
projections, and half octagonal responds. North east pier has a
capital with heads, south east pier has a capital with angels.
The remaining piers have octagonal capitals. Double chamfered
and rebated arches have hood moulds with good mask stops.
Restored C15 roof with arch braces and wall shafts on mask
corbels. East window has patterned stained glass. North aisle
east end has a C13 double chamfered and rebated archway with
fillet moulded responds, hood mould and mask stops. Windows have
patterned stained glass. Restored roof has mask corbels, C14 and
C19. North transept has patterned stained glass windows and low
pitched roof on corbels, 1866. South aisle east end has a C13
archway of the same design as that in the north aisle, patterned
stained glass windows and lean-to roof with arch braces, 1895, on
mask corbels. South transept has to north east a C13 squint.
C19 ceiling. Chancel has double chamfered and rebated late C13
arch with hood mould and mask stops, and keeled responds with
capitals with dogtooth bands. East end has tiled reredos and
stained glass window by A. Gibbs, 1864. South side has to east,
a C13 chamfered piscina and aumbry and C13 sedilia with round
shafts. Stained glass window by A. Gibbs, 1881. Arch-braced
roof with traceried spandrels, and wall shafts, 1867, on mask
corbels. Fittings include octagonal C15 font with saltire cross
and quatrefoil panels, C14 triple arched stone altar, stalls,
1867, panelled benches with poppyheads, 1873, pierced traceried
octagonal pulpit, 1894, and donations board, 1850, and lectern
C19. Early C18 carved cupboard and panel, C18 chest with
drawers. Monuments include large effigy of a knight, late C13,
chest tomb with shields in quatrefoil panels and incised slab, to
Sir Thomas Berkley and wife, 1488. Brass, 1521. Rolls of
honour, 1919 and 1945. 2 C20 brasses.
Listing NGR: SK8515718653
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.