British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Michael, Wymondham

Description: Church of St Michael

Grade: I
Date Listed: 1 January 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 189913

OS Grid Reference: SK8581417556
OS Grid Coordinates: 485814, 317556
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7488, -0.7301

Location: Wymondham, Leicestershire LE14 2JU

Locality: Wymondham
Local Authority: Melton Borough Council
County: Leicestershire
Country: England
Postcode: LE14 2JU

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Wymondham, Leicestershire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


(south side)
7/156 Church of
St. Michael

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C19. Coursed and squared
ironstone and dressed limestone with ashlar dressings and lead
roofs. West tower, nave with clerestory, north aisle, north
porch, chancel, south aisle, south porch. West tower, 3 stages,
has 2 chamfered string courses, quatrefoil frieze, 4 gargoyles,
crenellated parapet with 4 pinnacles and pyramidal roof with
weathercock. To west, 2 C19 angle buttresses. To south east a 3
stage semi-circular stair turret with a stair light on each
stage. Third stage has clasping buttresses. First stage has to
west, a C13 lancet. Second stage has on each side a blocked and
altered double lancet opening with ringed shafts and hood moulds.
To west and north, clock dials. Third stage has on each side a
double lancet bell opening with quatrefoil head, moulded reveal
and hood mould. Clerestory, C15, 3 bays, has moulded parapet and
gable. On each side, 3 triple lancets with intersecting tracery.
Moulded 4 centred arched heads and hood moulds. North aisle,
C14, 4 bays, has an angle buttress to west and 2 buttresses to
north, with 2 setoffs. Chamfered and moulded plinth, coved eaves
with ballflowers, coped gables with kneelers. North side has 3
ogee triple lancets with reticulated tracery, flat heads and hood
moulds. West end has an untraceried C13 triple lancet with hood
mould. East end has a triple lancet with cusped intersecting
ogees, chamfered reveal and hood mould. North porch, C14, has
chamfered plinth, 2 flanking buttresses and coped gable with
cross. Double chamfered and rebated doorway with hood mould.
Interior has stone benches, C19 roof and C14 double roll moulded
inner doorway with shafts, hood mould and mask stops. Chancel,
C13 raised C15, 2 bays, has moulded plinth and coved eaves. To
east, north and south, a square panel at ground level containing
a blocked quatrefoil. North side has a C13 cove and roll moulded
blocked doorway with shafts and hood mould with foliate stops.
To west, a small buttress. Above, 3 C14 cusped double lancets
with Y tracery and coved flat headed reveals. East end has 2
angle buttresses and a C14 cusped ogee triple lancet with flowing
tracery, hood mould and mask stops. South side has 3 cusped
double lancets with Y tracery and coved flat headed reveals.
South aisle, 4 bays, has chamfered plinth, coved eaves with
ballflowers, and coped west gable. 2 angle buttresses. South
side has an off-centre porch. To its right, a buttress flanked
to left by a C14 triple ogee lancet with reticulated tracery and
to right by an altered opening containing an ogee double lancet
with reticulated tracery. Both lancets have flat heads and hood
moulds with mask stops. East end has a blocked C14 untraceried
triple lancet with hood mould and mask stops. C14 south porch
has a double chamfered and rebated doorway with octagonal
responds, hood mould and mask stops, flanked by single buttresses
and topped by a coped gable with a block sundial finial. Pair of
C20 doors with glazing bar overlight. Interior has triple
chamfered tower arch, C13, with triple shaft responds and hood
mould. Nave arcades, C14, 4 bays, have octagonal piers with
moulded bases and capitals. North west respond C13, half-round,
the remaining responds half-octagonal. Double chamfered and
rebated arches with hood moulds and mask stops. Low pitched C19
roof with straight struts to wall shafts. North aisle north wall
has to east a large C14 tomb recess with crocketed gable and
finial. To east again, a rebated square aumbry. East end has a
window flanked on either side by a re-set mask corbel. South
east corner has a C14 moulded piscina. North and south aisles
have restored roofs with bosses. Chancel has C13 double
chamfered and rebated arch with hood mould and mask imposts, and
an altered C15 traceried oak screen with billeted crest. To its
left, a square aumbry. North side has to east a blocked low
level opening with a 4 centred arched head, and to its right, an
aumbry with gabled head. South side has to east a C13 piscina
and a window seat with below it, a blocked opening with a 4
centred arched head. To its right, a C13 double sedilia altered
to form a monument and given inscribed tablets, by Rev. P.
Boundy, c.1730. Restored low pitched roof with straight struts
to wall shafts. Fittings include moulded round font, C14, on a
square stem with 4 ringed shafts, and turned, bracketed C18
cover. Late C17 altar table with turned legs, C18 altar rail
with barley sugar twist balusters, small C18 table and chair,
early C18 benefactions board. C19 octagonal pulpit, desk,
stalls, benches and brass lectern. Royal Arms (George III) 1777.
2 large C19 oil paintings. Monuments include a large marble,
slate and alabaster structure to Sir Roger Smith, 2 wives, his
son and grandson, 1655. Stepped forward central pedestal with
inscribed panels. Above it, a figure on each of 3 tiers and
above, crested semi-circular panel with inscribed tablet, flanked
by obelisks. On either side an inscribed pedestal carrying a
keystoned segmental headed crested niche containing a demi-
figure. Baroque monument to Sir Edward Smith alias Heriz, 1707,
marble and slate, with pedestal with 2 inscribed tablets and
crests and above, Ionic columns carrying a crested stepped-
forward cornice and a swagged, scrolled broken pediment, all
enclosing an inscribed tablet. Classical marble monument to
Olivia Smith, 1710, with moulded pedestal with 2 crests, carrying
2 Corinthian columns with full entablature and crested segmental
pediment, all enclosing an inscribed tablet. Rococo monument to
Edward Smnith, 1762, in coloured marbles. Inscribed sarcophagus
with crested apron and with urn above, all set on an obelisk back
panel. Pedimented Classical marble tablet to Margaret Smith,
1780. C18 hatchment, marble tablet 1879, 2 C20 tablets.

Listing NGR: SK8581417556

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.